Motorcycle Thread

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Sold my bike to my best friend two months ago. He went and did all the mods that were still missing (once you start putting money in a house, the motorcycle suddenly loses priority).

It looks really nice now, he's happy, I'm happy, gave him a good price, didn't have to deal with asshole buyers, know the bike is in good hands, win/win.

Plus I can be his wingman any time (he has several motorcycles).

Probably not though, the fear of some soccer mom broadsiding me in her SUV is just too damn high.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Though I feel much less safe on the bicycle than the motorcycle, to be honest.
I feel the same. At least on the motorcycle I own the part of the line I'm on and other drivers usually respect that, plus I'm moving at the same speed as the traffic. None of that apply on the bicycle, I never really feel like I belong on the road when on a bicycle.

Anyway, there's risk in a lot of things. Is it worth the risk? Frankly we're all just hoping to get the fun without actually living the consequences first hand (Ameraves has an exceptional perspective in that regard).
Ride conservatively, be aware of your surroundings, use the right gear and the risks of riding a motorcycle isn't that bad. People who don't know their bike or their own limits and young males who think they are invincible really crank up the statistics.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Decided to finally to take an MSF course to get my MC license though I am a bit on the fence about what kind of bike I should ride initially. I plan to solely drive on the streets (commuting and occasional fun rides) and not any highways/freeways. Eventually I plan on getting a Ducati scrambler or an XSR700 if it ever comes to the states. Was thinking of getting an old monster 620 since it's not that powerful and a v-twin but still not sure. Am I getting too much bike with the monster for my first bike?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Get something smallish and light for your first bike. Seriously, it'll be easy to handle in town and will increase your skill level and your confidence. Even if it's just for a year, then you upgrade.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fianc?es brother was killed in last weekend at 26, apparently got goofy for a minutes and lost control right after leaving work, no helmet.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fianc?es brother was killed in last weekend at 26, apparently got goofy for a minutes and lost control right after leaving work, no helmet.
Yea was thinking about getting a tiny bike just to put put around town but I can't seem to avoid deaths or dismemberment from motorcycles from someone I'm at least aware of if not acquaintance or friend on a regular basis.

I still think I might try dirt bikes instead of getting a quad right now.

Picasso3

I'm sure he got complacent. Police say it would have broken his neck even if he'd had a helmet on.
I don't like the states that don't require helmets.. it never occurred to me I could die until i was 20 something and I'm sure the peer pressure of not wearing a helmet at those ages can sway even people as smart as jooka.

Picasso3

I think everyone always anticipates the worst from the long, tumbling crash but getting stopped instantly is what kills. Earnhardt crash is perfect example.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I am sorry for your loss, but in my mind it wasn't a motorcycle accident that killed him.

Picasso3

I'm just speaking about the topic in general, the name of the game is impact attenuation.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Decided to finally to take an MSF course to get my MC license though I am a bit on the fence about what kind of bike I should ride initially. I plan to solely drive on the streets (commuting and occasional fun rides) and not any highways/freeways. Eventually I plan on getting a Ducati scrambler or an XSR700 if it ever comes to the states. Was thinking of getting an old monster 620 since it's not that powerful and a v-twin but still not sure. Am I getting too much bike with the monster for my first bike?
Look at the KTM 390 bikes, inexpensive and I hear they are a ton of fun to ride.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I originally bought my Ninja 250 thinking I'd ride it for a year or two then upgrade down the line. They do keep their value pretty well since there's a decent market for entry bikes.

Well, I've been riding it for 4 years and I intent to ride it until it dies. The thing is just plain fun to ride in town, cheap as hell on gas (I commute with it 6 months of the year) and it's fast enough it's alright on the highway (100miles/hr top speed is plenty enough to pass safely).

If I'd spend more time on the highway I'd consider something more powerful but since 90% of my mileage is in town, a small bike is great.