MTG: Arena

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I’ve been playing on my phone for a couple of months now, the app is complete shit and the servers are garbage tier but it’s still fun most of the time. Game needs a quick play or something with much faster ropes, tired of sitting for minutes every game while the retard I’m playing decided if they want to mulligan and then which turn 1 land they want to play.

Sterling

El Presidente
Clearing out some folders and came across this little gem. Winning every game on like turn 30 by card exhaustion in draft is awesome.
draft deck.png

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
pharmakontrol.jpg

Historic BO3, been having good luck with it. Was taking it through Platinum last season (slightly different build), back in Gold now since I fell off a bit.

Funnest thing about this deck is how hard it pivots. People conceding with 22 life while I'm at 3 life because I finally was able to control the board completely lol.

I hate sacrifice / reanimator decks, particularly the glut of Cat/Oven decks that are on the lower rungs of the ladder, as you can probably tell by my sideboard. Otherwise, I mainly just have a problem with super fast decks like Mono Red. I can get under Mono White but not Red.

edit -- already changed it, making it public got me embarrassed about my pet card Covetous Urge, I took it out and put in a Teferi, Hero of Dominaria instead. because obviously that's a better idea lmao. I still hate seeing that card from back during his reign in Standard tho.... and 2x Despark in the sideboard now instead of 2x Tyrant's Scorn

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
deckimage.jpg

Took awhile off, just got back up to Platinum from Bronze. Still rocking this Historic Esper Control deck. I like the way it evolved.

Tried running Glint Sleeve Siphoner as another threat that generates card advantage. It worked for a bit in Silver, then didn't in Gold, but I think I might try it again in Platinum here. Tho maybe they'd go better in the sideboard.

This deck can be slow as fuck sometimes, but once it gets ahold of the board, it is very hard for opponents to turn things around.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20220323_181221916.jpg

deckimage.jpg

First time ever hitting Diamond! Hoping I won't have to change the deck too much for a push to Mythic.

Dread Fugue might be the weak link but replacing it with Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek (or whatever it's called) doesn't feel right either.

Precognition Field might be a silly inclusion too. Maybe swap it for another Search for Azcanta.

61 cards is on purpose btw. Superstition.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So Diamond was rough at first. But I (painfully) took out the 3x Thief of Sanity and added another Professor Onyx (now my only win condition), more counter spells / removal, and now I just slow play to every win. Matches take forever but I'm almost Mythic on the back of a deck I built myself! Diamond 2 now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So Diamond was rough at first. But I (painfully) took out the 3x Thief of Sanity and added another Professor Onyx (now my only win condition), more counter spells / removal, and now I just slow play to every win. Matches take forever but I'm almost Mythic on the back of a deck I built myself! Diamond 2 now.
Getting Mythic is really fun the first 1-2 times but there's really nothing that makes me want to stay on that grind every month.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Getting Mythic is really fun the first 1-2 times but there's really nothing that makes me want to stay on that grind every month.
I'm disabled, lotta time on my hands, gonna start streaming eventually and see if I can't turn my hobby into a bit of cash flowing in. But yeah the fact that it's monthly and the season ends in a couple days is very daunting.

If you think of any good advice (on my deck or on turning Magic into a revenue stream) feel free to share. :)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Hey I'm curious, did you get Mythic playing Standard? The Historic metagame is so varied right now that I feel like it is probably a lot more interesting than standard. Standard is more interesting since they started doing more bans and whatnot yeah, but that's lame and frustrating in it's own right. And in between the changes, it's usually nothing but the same 2-3 decks over and over.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hey I'm curious, did you get Mythic playing Standard? The Historic metagame is so varied right now that I feel like it is probably a lot more interesting than standard. Standard is more interesting since they started doing more bans and whatnot yeah, but that's lame and frustrating in it's own right. And in between the changes, it's usually nothing but the same 2-3 decks over and over.
Haven't gotten Mythic in constructed in a while, but when I did, I just played Bo1 linear aggro decks and grinded a ton of games.

These days I just play Historic Gruul aggro, get to plat to get the monthly rewards, and only on months where I feel like it, and I only do that because I just like embercleaving people.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't gotten Mythic in constructed in a while, but when I did, I just played Bo1 linear aggro decks and grinded a ton of games.

These days I just play Historic Gruul aggro, get to plat to get the monthly rewards, and only on months where I feel like it, and I only do that because I just like embercleaving people.
The other day I stole an Embercleave and attached it to my Thief of Sanity and it was glorious

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Got excited for this set early on when I heard it would be Shard focused, since I'm still on my Esper Control kick in Historic. Most of the Esper cards have been kind of meh tho. Then I saw this one:

Void-Rend-Streets-of-New-Capenna-Spoiler.png

Not the sort of card that will make every MTG player write home to their mom, I know, but it's gonna be an immediate 2-4x in my deck.

This one is sort of interesting, next best Esper card so far, kind of the Esper version of Frilled Mystic from Ravnica Allegiance, but overcosted by 1 to be useful in a control deck I think. Tho I want to build a Midrange focused Esper deck too, and it would be better there:

Obscura-Interceptor-Streets-of-New-Capenna-Spoiler.png

Grixis cards are definitely winning the Shard battle in previews so far I think

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Professor Onyx as my only win condition, while effective, got a little old. So a couple weeks ago I went hunting through other cards looking for a good artifact or enchantment to run as a win condition, to dodge more removal. I wasn't around during Kaldheim, so this card was new to me:

tergrid-god-of-fright-37665.jpg
tergrid-god-of-fright-77629.jpg

The creature side is a little meh, but that artifact side is such a good clock. It's won me more games than Onyx has since I added it. And the creature side even has found it's uses. So now I run 2x Professor Onyx and 2x this. (Oh, and Hall of Storm Giants + Castle Ardenvale in case everything else falls apart)

But then I've still been wishing for an Enchantment win condition to run 2x of, too, but the closest thing we've got in Historic is Revenge of Ravens or Ill-Gotten Inheritance. I ran Phyrexian Arena for a bit as an engine, even if it's not a wincon, but the number of games where it ended up being more of a hindrance than a help ended up making me pull it out.

This card just popped up on spoilers for New Capenna tho:

Protection-Racket-265x370.jpg

And at 3 mana, I think that's about perfect for my uses. My deck is itching for more card advantage anyway (even tho ability to dig is already one of its greatest strengths). It's not going to get the win on its own, I suppose, but it will definitely help get me there. I'm surprised this card is 3 mana, if it was 4 it wouldn't be nearly as playable.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I totally forgot the Arena Open starts tomorrow. Traditional Historic even, which has been my jam. And I'm broke since I just signed a lease on a new apartment! Someone PayPal me $30? ❤️

My current deck list:

deckimage (1).jpg

And yeah, yeah, I've got 66 cards main deck... Between how well this deck can dig for answers, and the number of matches that have ended with my opponent decking themselves, I think it's legit my best option.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Welp, took a break for a few months, but started back up last week. Took a variation of my same Esper Control deck from Bronze to Platinum very quick, as well as going from Bronze to Platinum in Draft playing Dominaria United pretty quickly. Assuming the server and I both counted correctly, I should have finally hit that little goal of mine of making the autogenerated Ranked Constructed weekly decklists on the official website. At least it says every deck with at least 55 of 75 unique cards that gets 6+wins in Platinum or higher makes the list. It was the 6 wins that took me from the bottom of Platinum 4 up to Platinum 2, but hey, it should count. :)

The deck:

deckimage20220927.jpg

So far it seems to do really well in this meta, but I haven't played much since getting those six wins, so I'm not sure how it will hold up as I keep climbing.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
mostly took it easy on MTGA this month, on days that i played i mostly just played a few Traditional Historic matches a day, but sat down and grinded back up to Diamond last night. Latest version of my list:

deckimage.jpg

I didn't add in Sheoldred until a few games before hitting Diamond, but crap is he good for this deck. Getting a Sheoldred and a Phyrexian Arena on the board is awesome lol. gotta stick one more Sheoldred in somehow.

Almost has me thinking about retuning my whole deck, with Sheoldred as my main wincon instead of Professor Onyx.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Would anyone be interested in playing in tournaments again? Picking up the tournaments we were doing back a year or two ago? I would run them if anyone was interested, I have the time to devote these days.