MTG thread

Tonic_sl

shitlord
I'm going through all the cards I have right now - best way to list them via excel sheet or is there another way typically used by the community?

Xalara

Golden Squire
I wish PTQs out in Seattle were less than 200 people. 300 is average and we will be pushing 400 soon.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Squee used to be a big card draw engine in Survival of the Fittest decks a long time ago, and has been used for a few other things since.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So me and my buddies just started playing this shit and we got together on Saturday and played our first serious session. One dude whooped us with a mono black devotion deck with Gray Merchant of Asphodel doing most of the damage. I'm just now ready and studying the Metagame clock and i'm curious what someone would play against a deck like that? Like a deck type so I can try and counter it on my own.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Mono black and mono blue are the decks to beat right now. That should change is a few weeks when the next set hits.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty excited for this new release. I got us all started with Christmas presents and it has really snowballed fast. Having a new release so close to us catching the bug is fucking bad news.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty excited for this new release. I got us all started with Christmas presents and it has really snowballed fast. Having a new release so close to us catching the bug is fucking bad news.
Ha, tell me about it. It wasn't even a year ago that I started playing again and I'm already bought into Legacy with three or four modern decks worth of stuff besides. Just don't chase the dragon cracking packs. Especially for RTR block, singles are your best bet. Even Theros has settled out enough now that packs aren't the winning proposition that they were. Buy the singles you need, share among your group to complete decks and everyone comes out ahead.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So since both these dudes are playing versions of aggro/aggro-control should I try a midrange deck with a side board that gears towards midrange-control?

Dinian_sl

shitlord
Exactly the same boat here. I played back in Unlimited -> Ice Ages and then quit cold turkey for college. Started playing again in RTR and lo and behold I'm bought into Legacy and have 4 tier 1 modern decks...

I'm guessing I should focus on my GBx shell or melira pod since they smash face so regularly. However, there's something about incorporating blue in my decks. I'm really liking Tempo Twin right now. What are you thinking about focusing on Heylel?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I was playing Pod for quite a while, but it fares very poorly against Tron. It can win, but it's a match that you want to dodge and has become so prevalent that I recently switched away (sorta bummed too. I was about 3 cards away from having all the deck promos). I played Scapeshift at Modern night last week and it actually ended up being a lot more fun than I would have expected for a giant pile of cantrips and a fragile win condition. I need to work on the sideboard so that I'm not cold to Slaughter Games, but at the moment I'm thinking about keeping it together for the next couple of months in preparation for GP Richmond. I have no illusions about doing well in the GP, but I'm going for sure. GP Charlotte was a blast.

I also tried out Grixis Delver but it's just not my kind of deck. UR Delver probably is more consistent, and another friend has had some success with it. He's moving into Splinter Twin once he gets all the cards. It's definitely a very strong deck that I haven't had a lot of experience combating yet.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked up a set of Stoneforge Mystics a few days ago for $40. What a steal. The card has more than doubled in the last 10 days and I don't think it has topped out.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It has started to settle down a bit, just under $30 now. It was over $35 a couple days ago. I think the new normal is probably somewhere in the high 20s, low 30s for that card.

The cheap copies were sold out, but you can still find 2 Stoneforges in the War of Attrition event decks that some slower local shops still have in stock. NPH was long enough ago that most shops don't bother to check the lists and reprice them very often, so you can find them new for $30-35.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So I am new to this and have a problem. Made a couple decks and played a bunch of games and got my ass kicked. The decks I put together were all super quick just slammed together what I thought would work and they did against my noob buddies. But like I said earlier my buddy built a mono black devotion deck and just raped us.

I could tell he put a lot of thought and time into it. So I spent the last two days doing research and just reading lots of articles about MTG. Stuff about deck building, drafts, the metaclock all kinds of shit. I thought okay this game is more complicated then I thought but I got this. Pull out all my cards to start building 2-3 decks to try this weekend. And I just sit there staring at them. Its like my brain fucking freezes.

Is this normal? This shit is overwhelming and I don't really know where to start. My min/max gaming personality is really making me hyperventilate here looking at all these cards.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Start with someone else's deck list. Check mtgtop8.com and find one you like, then tweak it from there. Deck building is a wholly different skill set than actually playing the game. Some people are very good at it, others aren't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with net decking (finding a list online and running it). The best players in the world do it all the time.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
On a pillow filled with prize packs.
tongue.png

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just found this thread. What ruleset do most of you play Legacy, Vintage; Modern; Standard, etc...?