MTG thread

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The Ready Player One transmutation of Magic: The Gathering is fucking awful.

I don't even know what you mean, I just based what I said off of seeing nothing but pop culture references. Sounds fucking atrocious and nothing but an end-life money grab by WotC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't even know what you mean, I just based what I said off of seeing nothing but pop culture references. Sounds fucking atrocious and nothing but an end-life money grab by WotC.

What I mean is that every property and license is getting mushed together in to a pile of grey goo. You play a game of Magic and you could run in to Frodo Baggins, Negan from The Walking Dead or even Godzilla.

1703277519491.jpeg

Instead of being it's own, unique thing Hasbro has decided to dilute MtG in to little more than a frame to hang every bit of pop culture they think a soyjack manchild will throw money at.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What I mean is that every property and license is getting mushed together in to a pile of grey goo. You play a game of Magic and you could run in to Frodo Baggins, Negan from The Walking Dead or even Godzilla.

View attachment 505371

Instead of being it's own, unique thing Hasbro has decided to dilute MtG in to little more than a frame to hang every bit of pop culture they think a soyjack manchild will throw money at.

Then agreed! Ultra gay and anyone who still plays should feel intense shame.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ultra gay

I use Ready Player One as the comparison because that film was references references references isn't this so cool he's driving the car from Back to the Future look it's the Iron Giant omg is that the Akira motorcycle? Also,

1703278505943.jpeg

is a real card.

• 3WTF
  • 2Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 505371

If they have Yoshitaka Amano art for the Final Fantasy MTG set coming out, gonna be hard for me to not buy them. This strategy works in the short term at least.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was just up until 1am last night sorting all my cards to sell. Anything that wasn’t in a deck is gone now and anything new is getting proxied from here on out. I hate all this UB shit and the company itself is just garbage. Don’t want to give them money anymore. Have to find something new to buy at our LGS when we go to play because we at least still want to give them money.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Jesus how annoying, the least you could do it TL;DR - he didn't open the thin pack. And the AN pack had a Bazaar.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cool rarity on a Wubby MTG stream.

Finds the pack:

Finds some more infos:
t

Bonus Arabian pack opening at the end too.

Why in the ever loving fuck would anyone watch that virgin weirdo, let alone give him money while doing it? Kids are fucked up nowadays.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Bought 10 packs of Ixalan yesterday because I was at a LGS. Haven't played in probably 10 years or more and have been kicking around getting into Pauper and such for something to do. I pulled Owen Grady. I just don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I like Jurassic Park, on the other it is killing my immersion.

View attachment 504445
I only play Pioneer and Standard now. I didn't cut out commander because of the universes beyond stuff, but it was a small factor. Pioneer and Standard is all MTG universe only cards for now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I quit MTG cold turkey after breaking top #25 mythic with my Oracle of the Alpha/Clockmaker/Reality Chip deck. It's never going to get better than chaincasting the power 9 off the top of my deck.

Call me when the Phyrexians come back.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I quit MTG cold turkey after breaking top #25 mythic with my Oracle of the Alpha/Clockmaker/Reality Chip deck. It's never going to get better than chaincasting the power 9 off the top of my deck.

Call me when the Phyrexians come back.
Did they bring back the power 9 cards for something? I haven't kept up Arena for a few years, so no clue about sets and stuff they released. I think the last one that I did anything with was the Godzilla set. I know they were periodically bringing in historic sets for a smattering of cards on occasions.

I thought about picking the game back up but I might be so far behind at this point it's not worth it. Had a small group of buddies all playing a few games in the evenings just sitting around BSing with a beer over discord, and it was enjoyable. I really thought about trying it out again but I have limited time for games and there's so much other stuff out there right now. I really do enjoy playing magic though, think I I got my first starter deck and a few booster packs of revised back in 94.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did they bring back the power 9 cards for something? I haven't kept up Arena for a few years, so no clue about sets and stuff they released. I think the last one that I did anything with was the Godzilla set. I know they were periodically bringing in historic sets for a smattering of cards on occasions.
1703536359405.png
1703536409652.png
1703536392993.png
1703537062523.png

Lots of cantrips and other shit.

This was from an earlier iteration of the deck before I completely demolished the format. This was from Standard Alchemy, so regular Standard + the Arena-only Alchemy cards associated with those sets.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 505846View attachment 505849View attachment 505848View attachment 505850

Lots of cantrips and other shit.

This was from an earlier iteration of the deck before I completely demolished the format. This was from Standard Alchemy, so regular Standard + the Arena-only Alchemy cards associated with those sets.

Holy shit that's pretty crazy. I'm guessing there were a lot of folks running those types of decks? I imagine it'd be a hell of a lot of fun though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit that's pretty crazy. I'm guessing there were a lot of folks running those types of decks? I imagine it'd be a hell of a lot of fun though.
There were quite a few, but I tuned the shit out of this list specifically to ladder-grind.

The thing about Alchemy is that it is filled with broken, Hearthstone-like cards, and tournament results/decklists are scarce with being Arena-only and mostly Arena Ladder-only.

It's one of the few brewing formats left out there. But there's a ton of degen shit.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
There were quite a few, but I tuned the shit out of this list specifically to ladder-grind.

The thing about Alchemy is that it is filled with broken, Hearthstone-like cards, and tournament results/decklists are scarce with being Arena-only and mostly Arena Ladder-only.

It's one of the few brewing formats left out there. But there's a ton of degen shit.
What exactly is Alchemy? I pretty much played just historic, and I think the time pioneer was the next thing that was maybe going to get implemented. Is it just a different set list or something?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What exactly is Alchemy? I pretty much played just historic, and I think the time pioneer was the next thing that was maybe going to get implemented. Is it just a different set list or something?
Every set on Arena now has a supplemental set of 'Arena Only' cards that can do things that paper cards can't really do easily, like conjure other cards, or perpetually alter cards even once they've changed zones, etc.

They're very Hearthstone-inspired mechanics. But unlike paper cards, if they're broken they can just be patched, have their text or attributes changed.

It's weird, and I usually hate it, but passing up a change to break the format with a Power 9 deck was too good to pass up. Combined with the fact that the format generally does not get 'solved' as easily, due the high number of unusual mechanics and lack of decklists, it was a fun way to end my time with Arena.

I honestly do not miss the stress of competitive ladder grinding, in limited or constructed.

The number of stressful decisions in a game of Magic is not to be undercounted.

• 3Like