MTG thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Every set on Arena now has a supplemental set of 'Arena Only' cards that can do things that paper cards can't really do easily, like conjure other cards, or perpetually alter cards even once they've changed zones, etc.

They're very Hearthstone-inspired mechanics. But unlike paper cards, if they're broken they can just be patched, have their text or attributes changed.

It's weird, and I usually hate it, but passing up a change to break the format with a Power 9 deck was too good to pass up. Combined with the fact that the format generally does not get 'solved' as easily, due the high number of unusual mechanics and lack of decklists, it was a fun way to end my time with Arena.

I honestly do not miss the stress of competitive ladder grinding, in limited or constructed.

The number of stressful decisions in a game of Magic is not to be undercounted.
Yeah I would imagine if you're up in those higher ranks like that, you've always got to be on your A game, and a misplay can spell disaster. That and it's safe to assume everybody else if those ranks are going to be pretty good players. Sounds like it's kind of a neat deal though.

I'm definitely more of an ultra casual when it comes to the game. Think the two or three forum tournaments we had I was just played some goofy homebrew deck vs FOTM, and never got far but hey it's still fun.

Thanks for answering my questions though. I'm just so out of the loop with it right now. I think I still have over 100 rares and maybe 50 mythics to craft so I'm sure I could probably get back into it fairly easily, but it's just finding the damn time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Holy shit that's pretty crazy. I'm guessing there were a lot of folks running those types of decks? I imagine it'd be a hell of a lot of fun though.
Lots of folks run crazy decks, but there is still a wide gulf in player skill. I have a friend that plays Azorius spirits in Pioneer, and he can consistently win bad matchups (e.g. Phoenix usually owns spirits) because he knows his deck inside and out. (Pioneer's equivalent in Arena would be Explorer, but it is missing a few cards that Pioneer has, making a few of the meta decks absent in Arena).

A good example of this was last Friday a Phoenix player cast spells to remove all the counters on his Thing in the Ice, which would bounce all other creatures. In response he played Slip out the Back on the Thing, phasing it out, and when the stack checked for Thing transforming on the battlefield the bounce doesn't resolve.

Another good example of this is Rakdos Midrange; it sees a lot of representation in tournaments despite not having the greatest win % because it's not a hard deck to pilot. Intermediate players can do fairly well with it. However, you need to be really good to pilot Izzet Phoenix, UW Control, Lotus Field Combo, etc.

You could give me an S tier deck with a good matchup % against Mist Mist with a C tier deck and she'd probably beat me more often than not because I would make some misplays.

Like you, I rarely have time to play Arena. I make it to FNM's because it's social time and time to play mixed together (it's a tight knit bunch of 4-8 regulars mostly and most of us like to brew and try lots of off meta stuff). I would look into some budget decks before you blow through your wildcards.

P.s. I found out that if I mainboard 4 Lithomantic Barrages in BO1 standard, the algorithm rarely matched me against Blue decks. It's substandard against Green/Red/black but screw Blue sometimes 😄.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You could give me an S tier deck with a good matchup % against Mist Mist with a C tier deck and she'd probably beat me more often than not because I would make some misplays.
I'm honestly not a great Constructed player, unless I've played dozens or hundreds of games with a deck.

Draft, I'd put myself up with the best drafters in the world, especially in limited formats where 3-5 color decks are the norm.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm honestly not a great Constructed player, unless I've played dozens or hundreds of games with a deck.

Draft, I'd put myself up with the best drafters in the world, especially in limited formats where 3-5 color decks are the norm.
I think card familiarity and experience would still help. I might be generous calling myself an intermediate player.

My favorite misplays of all time are using mana from Demolition Field to kill a 2/2 attacking creature with a 3 mana removal spell instead of using it to kill his attacking Restless Ridgeline. Also the time I sideboarded in The Elder Dragon War instead of Brotherhood's End against Rakdos Sacrifice (I totally forget about Brotherhood's artifact wipe mode constantly).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So apparently the shell game of moving around the booster pack types was in order to hide another ~20% increase in price at the distributor level.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So apparently the shell game of moving around the booster pack types was in order to hide another ~20% increase in price at the distributor level.

I don't think they hid anything? They straight up said draft boosters were getting the axe cause they didn't sell enough/weren't profitable enough, and their replacement was going to be more expensive and more similar to set/collector boosters.

Rosewater himself came out and said basically 'either we do this or draft support was going away'.

Hasbro is a big company, and it's gonna take ever increasing revenues from MTG to prop up it's rotting corpse.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
And ya know it sucks.hasbro has owned wotc for what like way over 20yrs now. And the past like 3 years they are just shitting the bed so bad on fucking everything. Mtg and d&d are like in the worst state they've ever been.

Its such a shame.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
And ya know it sucks.hasbro has owned wotc for what like way over 20yrs now. And the past like 3 years they are just shitting the bed so bad on fucking everything. Mtg and d&d are like in the worst state they've ever been.

Its such a shame.

What if we fired a bunch of people that assisted with Baulder's Gate 3? Would that help?

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't follow. But hasbro doesn't own Larian anyhow.

It was sarcastic, of course. At the end of last year Hasbro fired a fuck load of people. Some of those people were involved in BG3. Imagine having people under your employ that helped a product you licensed be game of the year and booting them out the door. Like, holy shit.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
It was sarcastic, of course. At the end of last year Hasbro fired a fuck load of people. Some of those people were involved in BG3. Imagine having people under your employ that helped a product you licensed be game of the year and booting them out the door. Like, holy shit.
Oh man I'm way to tired...

And yeah I just read that after reading yer post. 1100 people before Xmas. Thats fucking terrible.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cheon is a great dude, but I have no idea what he was actually doing at WotC aside from hanging out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Cheon is a great dude, but I have no idea what he was actually doing at WotC aside from hanging out.
He was mostly known for coverage, but he also produced some of their online content too. But for sure if they were going to do cutbacks he was going to get hit.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Can we get another repacked Unlimted Starter deck opened live on stream? Survey says - yes!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Controversy generates views. He's bought vintage cards for years, even did an "expose" on Logan Paul getting duped. So, he's either an idiot or playing at getting duped.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I have only seen 2 of his videos opening these and it was a scam repack every time. Does he ever get legit ones?

I think he is 0-2 on unlimited, but he has opened other old things (Revised box, Legends box, an Arabian Nights pack, some others).

Controversy generates views. He's bought vintage cards for years, even did an "expose" on Logan Paul getting duped. So, he's either an idiot or playing at getting duped.

Assuming he isn't lying (and his audience is big enough that I assume he is not), the first one was definitely legit, cause it was multiple streams that got condensed into one video where he did follow up and get his money back.

This one seemed more suspect, like he already had the "scam money back protection" in place, and it sounds like it came from a larger vendor. So I wonder if the larger vendor already suspected it was repacked, and cut Wubby a deal to open it on stream.

The story I hope finishes is the story of the Bog Wraith in this video.

Sterling

El Presidente
Always a chance at some gradeworthy power. But most of the time your rares will be more like Lace, Kudzu, Island. At least throw in a couple of boosters and build that 20 land 4 color sealed deck with 10 creatures if you're lucky!