Murders and Shootings

Goatface

At this point we may never know but that was what I was wondering earlier, why would a single woman own such a hunting rifle
The pistols made sense but the .223 rifle I dunno
some people just like to have a certain rifle just to target shoot. doesn't have to be hunting, home defense, etc. AR15s have to be the most moddable rifle ever. you can have a plain jane for $500 to a $3000 tack driver.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's also annoying as fuck that the news keeps showing the same images of cops in tactical gear looking bad ass with their M4s.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
AMURICA.

rrr_img_3131.jpg
That chart is completely invalid. They are using a horrible definition to create a very specific result.

For example, there have been more mass shootings in the last 3 years in the middle east than anywhere else. There is mass genocides going on in africa. The fuck does that chart even mean.

rrr_img_3131.jpg

rrr_img_3131.jpg

All the people whose world view comes entirely from television are freaking out right now.

I honestly can't believe they are pushing the "if schools were more religious there wouldn't be violence" bit.

I was also surprised how hard it is to find basic facts on this case when it seems the entire story is commentary and sob stories right now.

How can you have a serious discussion when you can't even get down to the nuts and bolts of a situation.

Cybsled

Lol, that Baptist shit 100% doesn't fly in New England. They're basically internet trolls IRL, but I doubt they will picket. With this so fresh and so many 6-7 year olds dead, they would probably end up severely beaten or worse...and they know it.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Lol, that Baptist shit 100% doesn't fly in New England. They're basically internet trolls IRL, but I doubt they will picket. With this so fresh and so many 6-7 year olds dead, they would probably end up severely beaten or worse...and they know it.
Those pieces of shit woud like nothing better to have someone take a swing at one of them and then sue the shit out that person.

projoking

Molten Core Raider
God damn, Morgan Freeman just became even more awesome. I didn't think that was possible.
Fromhttp://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

We haven't found any source documenting the attribution of these words to actor Morgan Freeman, so most likely the quote is something that originated elsewhere and was later attributed to Morgan Freeman to lend it a sense of gravitas.

Regardless, the message is still just as meaningful no matter who said it.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Fromhttp://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

We haven't found any source documenting the attribution of these words to actor Morgan Freeman, so most likely the quote is something that originated elsewhere and was later attributed to Morgan Freeman to lend it a sense of gravitas.

Regardless, the message is still just as meaningful no matter who said it.
Well, I'm still going to read it in Morgan Freemans voice, because everything sounds better that way. (You just read this in his voice.)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
http://news.yahoo.com/family-guy-ame...004909522.html

I've never been one to support stuff like this, but the biggest thing I took from the article was;

wat?
It's funnier if you grab the whole sentence

Article_sl said:
Hollywood should take some responsibility for such violence, Jamie Foxx, one of the industry's biggest stars, said Saturdayas he promoted Quentin Tarantino's upcoming, ultra-violent, spaghetti Western-style filmabout slavery, "Django Unchained."

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
A very interesting and disturbing article on mental illness:

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...thinkable.html

A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan?they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.
I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza?s mother. I am Dylan Klebold?s and Eric Harris?s mother. I am Jason Holmes?s mother. I am Jared Loughner?s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho?s mother. And these boys?and their mothers?need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it?s easy to talk about guns. But it?s time to talk about mental illness.
Of course contrast this woman to Lanza's mother who had firearms in the house. I read somewhere she taught him to use them too, but I dont know if that's been verified. I wonder if she was afraid of him and that's why she had the guns.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A very interesting and disturbing article on mental illness:

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...thinkable.html

Of course contrast this woman to Lanza's mother who had firearms in the house. I read somewhere she taught him to use them too, but I dont know if that's been verified. I wonder if she was afraid of him and that's why she had the guns.
Apples and oranges. I haven't seen anything yet that says that the CT shooter was routinely making death threats or acting out violently. In fact, I haven't seen a single thing that actually suggests he had a history of mental instability. I mean it seems likely that he did, but it seems like the author of the article is just using the CT shooting to get attention for her trouble. Which is fine, because I have no problem with anything that draws attention to how difficult it is to get help for the mentally ill in this country.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just the nature of what he did would classify him as mentally deranged I would say. I've seen it reported several places that he has been diagnosed with Aspergers, which doesnt mean he's violent but there is something wrong. I understand that may or may not be accurate but it really doesnt matter. He's clearly got something physically wrong with him.

In the comments multiple people identified with the woman posting saying they have a similar situation. I dont mind addressing gun control, but this needs attention too and it's the bigger underlying cause. Gun violence in general is on the decline, but these mass shootings are increasing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just the nature of what he did would classify him as mentally deranged I would say. I've seen it reported several places that he has been diagnosed with Aspergers, which doesnt mean he's violent but there is something wrong. I understand that may or may not be accurate but it really doesnt matter. He's clearly got something physically wrong with him.

In the comments multiple people identified with the woman posting saying they have a similar situation. I dont mind addressing gun control, but this needs attention too and it's the bigger underlying cause. Gun violence in general is on the decline, but these mass shootings are increasing.
Aspergers is another word for High Functional autism, which is a mild to moderate developmental disorder. Aspies troll internet forums, they don't shoot up elementary schools. Now it's quite possible that he had something else in addition to the Autism, if he was indeed autistic, but until I hear or see the doctors report from the psychologist who diagnosed him with Autism, I'll remain skeptical. Lots of people have autism spectrum personalities (you can take a test for that) without having the disorder.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Both of my sister in law's work with children across the autism spectrum. Only one is still in the class environment and she has bruises and bite marks fairly regularly. Or at last did last time we talked about it. And this was younger kids, under 12 years old.

I am not trying to label with a broad brush here, I'm not advocating locking people up in asylums because of a disability. I'm saying this problem of violent behavior does exist in a small (hopefully small anyway) percentage of people and needs to be addressed. If the President is saying it's time for action, I agree. Look at gun control but also look at mental illness. That would seem to be the larger issue.