Must See Concerts Before You (or they) Die

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Been thinking about this with all the more recent deaths of famous musicians.

It struck me as really sad that I'll never get to see Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael, etc, and that maybe I should have made a better effort while they were still around.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) comes to mind.
The Smiths if they could ever fucking get back together, dumb motherfuckers.
Nine Inch Nails, been a huge fan, don't know how it's possible I've never seen Trent do his thing live.
Tool. Release a new fucking album already.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Haven't been to as many concerts as others here certainly have, but thought it was an amazing show and well worth the price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Been thinking about this with all the more recent deaths of famous musicians.

It struck me as really sad that I'll never get to see Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael, etc, and that maybe I should have made a better effort while they were still around.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) comes to mind.
The Smiths if they could ever fucking get back together, dumb motherfuckers.
Nine Inch Nails, been a huge fan, don't know how it's possible I've never seen Trent do his thing live.
Tool. Release a new fucking album already.

They put on a great show.

If you get the chance to see Paul McCartney you should. I was really impressed.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Finally seeing NIN in Chicago during Riot Fest and it knocks out three groups I have always wanted to see perform, NIN, WuTang and Queens of the Stone Age. Also knocking out the Deftones this summer as well.

• 2Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I think the only ones on my personal list that I haven't seen would be:
Weezer
Green Day
Theory of a Deadman
Garth Brooks
George Strait
Miranda Lambert

The one I would say everyone should add to their list that I've seen 3 times in 3 decades is:
Weird Al Yankovic

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Iron maiden.. Which I'm seeing today in Nashville!

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Hell yes. One of the greatest rock shows one can see. Bellamy is a bonefied rock god.

Saw MUSE last night here in Kansas City...2nd row...well worth the money.

That being said, I have seen almost all the bands/acts on my bucket list.....but...

JOURNEY with Steve Perry would be one I wish I would have gone to.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Iron Maiden is the only one left on my list. Which I'm knocking out later in the week.

But what should be on everyone's list is fucking Rammstein. Un-goddamned-believeable. What an amazing show, every time, every single night. There's nothing like them out there.

Tool? Fuck Tool. It was awesome seeing Tool in the 90's and early 2000's. Maynard has become such a fucking drag lately though, I'm not even sure Tool would be worth seeing again.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Tool still puts on a good show. Don't know if it's $75+ a ticket good, but I'll still go because I'm a big fan.

And everyone here will probably shit on this opinion because y'all are mostly metal heads or EDM people, but Phish is the truth.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I have gone to a bunch of shows that ended up the last chance to see them.
Saw Nirvana, 3 months later Kurt ate a gun.
Saw Sublime, 4 months later Brad OD'd.
Saw Rage Against the Machine. 6 months later they broke up.
Saw Janes Addiction, during the show they annouced it was the last time they would play together. They broke and got back together a few more times after that.

I was going to travel to see The White Stripes but they broke up mid tour before the date I was going.

My advice if you really like a band, go out of your way to see them. They may never come back.

• 1Solidarity

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I have gone to a bunch of shows that ended up the last chance to see them.
Saw Nirvana, 3 months later Kurt ate a gun.
Saw Rage Against the Machine. 6 months later they broke up.
Saw Janes Addiction, during the show they annouced it was the last time they would play together. They broke and got back together a few more times after that.

I was going to travel to see The White Stripes but they broke up mid tour before the date I was going.

My advice if you really like a band, go out of your way to see them. They may never come back.
Or make sure that you haven't recently gone to or are planning to see them, you're killing music sir

Radiohead is always a great live show and I've never heard them just not completely nail their set
latest reunion of ATDI is a really good throwback to their earlier energy with the addition of a much more focused and talented Omar
Mogwai is one of my favorite all-time live shows
Clapton, first time I got to see him he had Billy Preston on keyboards so that was a twofer
Red Fang is stupid amounts of fun to see live
New Order
The Pixies
The Flaming Lips
The Kinks
Nick Cave
any still touring soul band
Ween

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Or make sure that you haven't recently gone to or are planning to see them, you're killing music sir

Yeah I had a bad run in the 90s. But I have 100+ ticket stubs from small shows to big converts.

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis and he didnt die for another 10 yrs. And BB King didnt die for another 8.

iannis

Musty Nester
Just gonna add a stone to the Weird Al pile.

If you've ever got a chance to go see him, spend that cash.

I dunno why, but he reminds me of Pete Seger. It's got nothing to do with his music.

That guy's really not faking it. He's just goofy and nice.

Incoming weird al rape scandal in 10 years, I guess.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Were they good? Some of the live recordings I've heard aren't great.

I'm a huge Rage fan and was able to catch them at a one-off show back in 2011 in LA and fucking Muse opened. Great concert.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Were they good? Some of the live recordings I've heard aren't great.

I'm a huge Rage fan and was able to catch them at a one-off show back in 2011 in LA and fucking Muse opened. Great concert.

They were OK, nothing fantastic. It was a small venue 350-400 people maybe. Kinda of a DIY / Punk rock Luau vibe. They were not a tight well oiled machine. Kind of a lazy mellow gig. If they weren't already famous they wouldn't have impressed anybody. I have seen WAY worse (Smash Mouth & Sugar Ray come to mind, neither can play / sing)

I saw the Breeders at that same club and I wasn't expecting a lot from them, but Kin Deal stopped half way in the first song and yelled "This sucks I can't see the crowd, can somebody turn on the house lights?" She waited until they did, and then let loose beating the shit out of an old acoustic for a solid hr making it scream punk rock noise. The place went ballistic. They were an epic show. I wasn't a fan til I saw them live. They played tight and worked hard,

A band I wish I had got to see and probably never will is Concrete Blond. Johnette has written some of my favorite songs, and they were a serious heavy duty bar band in their prime.

Last edited:

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to see Dave and Tim do one of their shows just to watch Tim play. Dude is ridiculous.

Most bands I wanted to see I have seen and I doubt Black Flag is going to reunite so that's out. I did see Rollins band open for the Beastie Boys so close enough.