NBA 2015 Playoffs Thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Boston was playing rough, at times even dirty, but there's a big difference between hard fouls and thuggery. I don't care how many times a guy pushes you, swinging a backhand at his head is the only thuggery that occurred in those exchanges. Perkins very obviously coming in to knock a guy down, and then swiping at his face in the ensuing scrum, isn't justified because Lebron was taking hard fouls.

Smith reacted how he did because he's done it before. He's a dumb thug. Crowder knew that, and exploited the fact. Perkins came into the game only to fuck a dude up because that's all he's good for anymore: being a goon.

You'll notice Lebron stayed out of it. Why? Because he's a bitch, but not a thug like Smith or Perkins.

And I don't think most people have a problem with Crowder getting what he got, and agree he may have even deserved it. But just because a player was playing rough to antagonize a known thug, with a history of issues, doesn't mean the thug shouldn't be punished fully for their retaliations (which imo Smith wasn't, because if he were it would hurt the NBA brand too much in what is already not a very compelling Eastern conference).

What do you think the punishment should have been for Olynyk, Perkins and Smith? Honest question, would love to hear the answer.

Truehawk

Molten Core Raider
What do you think the punishment should have been for Olynyk, Perkins and Smith? Honest question, would love to hear the answer.
Olynyk flagrant 2 with at least one game suspension. Perkins flagrant 2 plus fine. Smith flagrant 2 plus suspension (probably somewhere around 2-3 games)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Celtics out of the playoffs, IMO. These Boston homers can GTFO of the thread.

Hahahaha. Just kidding pop. Don't have an aneurysm.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
76ers made the finals with AI when the East was weaker than it is now. There were no elite teams and making the finals just meant you had the honor of being slaughtered by the team from the West.

The Kings and Spurs would have slaughtered the 76ers just as bad

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Olynyk should have been ejected from the game and more than a single day suspension due to the severity of the injury. He's the 7th man on a team in rebuild mode so his suspension in the beginning of the regular season has almost no impact.

Perkins should have received a game suspension. I actually think he got off light.

Smith was fair. I was hoping for 1 game but he does have history. The thing is he's really cleaned up in Cleveland but you have someone constantly fouling you in the back and Crowder deserved to be slapped down.

I don't think Isiah Thomas should have gotten off scott free for his illegal interference either. It was a bullshit move. That should have been a technical plus possession. Which leads me to...

Finally I think the refs should all be fired. They should NEVER have let the games get to that level of physicality.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
AI was just one of the defining superstars of the hero ball era. I don't blame people for looking back on him with fond memories. He made getting to the hoop look simple and definitely had one of the best handles in the history of the league. But none of that changes the fact that he also took a bunch of horrible shots and also happened to be on one of the best defensive teams in the league, in a historically bad conference.

I was 17 that year. I thought Kobe was a god. Doesn't mean I can't look back now and realize that the hero ball stars we all worshiped during that time period really weren't as great as we thought at the time. There's a reason that type of player is a dying breed. You don't see teams give a guy that shoots near the 40 mark 25+ shots anymore. Teams are smarter and you have to be a truly gifted scorer to carry a team offensively today. Hell, there are like 3 of those guys in the entire league now. In 2001 every team had one (exaggeration).

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
AI was amazing. The beating that guy took on a nightly basis. Not to mention he never came out of the game. He carried that team and I can't think of many players that would have taken them as far as he did at that time.
Put AI and that Sixers team in the West and they would barely make the playoffs.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And despite that the Sixers were the only team to take a game off that loaded Lakers team in the playoffs.
If their greatest accomplishment is losing in 5 games, then it probably wasn't the historic season you're trying to make it seem like

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ok? I'm not sure where I ever made a claim they were a historic team, they were a decent team in a shitty conference. I think they would have been competitive with the Spurs or Kings, nobody was coming near that Lakers team.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still think if you put AI on that lakers team instead of Kobe they win championship. That's the only real point that needs to be made on this since we are talking players being interchangeable. I'd go as far as saying had we had Shaq in philly with AI we would have won as well.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Still think if you put AI on that lakers team instead of Kobe they win championship. That's the only real point that needs to be made on this since we are talking players being interchangeable. I'd go as far as saying had we had Shaq in philly with AI we would have won as well.
In 2001 shaq had one of the most dominant seasons ever in the NBA so I don't think this is that big of a stretch. It's exactly my point though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
In 2001 shaq had one of the most dominant seasons ever in the NBA so I don't think this is that big of a stretch. It's exactly my point though.
You could put me out there with 2001 Shaq and we'd win the title. Shaq was more dominant than Lebron's ever been, but for some reason he doesn't seem to get credit for that like he should. Maybe it's his style or play or maybe it's Shazam, but he's drastically underrated