NBA 2019-2020 Season: Kawhi Saved Us

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We should just merge this thread into one of the political threads at this point...

Please keep this shit out of the politics thread. The Michael Brown Riot Town thread, maybe. But that thread is more focused on jogging than dribbling.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
This is a Twitter "event" so wouldn't let me link it properly. So screenshot. Took two hours to become a very concerning hire, dare say, racist hire.

View attachment 299144
Oh cool. What a fun league, guys. Even just hiring a white former player to coach is racism. Everything is racism. Let's watch an entire league of race baiting perma victim crybabies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sucks for Celtics. Lose with .5 seconds left by 1. If they go on to lose this series it was lost here. Could of went up 3-0 and called it a series. instead all Toronto has to do is win the next game and the Celtics are feeling bad about themselves for sure, when they should of been looking for a sweep.

• 1Pathetic

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sucks for Celtics. Lose with .5 seconds left by 1. If they go on to lose this series it was lost here. Could of went up 3-0 and called it a series. instead all Toronto has to do is win the next game and the Celtics are feeling bad about themselves for sure, when they should of been looking for a sweep.

Sounds to me that they Celtics :emoji_shamrock: are pissed...great game though!

I know some of you NBA fans are swearing off the league forever. Your prerogative. But you are missing some great basketball if so. From Luka to Giannis. Heat to Houston. Been some great series so far.

Last edited:

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider

I know some of you NBA fans are swearing off the league forever. Your prerogative. But you are missing some great basketball if so. From Luka to Giannis. Heat to Houston. Been some great series so far.
Hadn’t heard. I did hear it was racist to hire Steve Nash to coach though. Cool league.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I dislike your logic.

I'll just get straight to it: I know some of you are swearing off Hitler, but you're missing some great advancements in rocketry!

Or should I have gone with rape? Yeah, probably: I know some of you are swearing off rape, but boy are you missing some great ass!

Yeah, we know. We just don't want to support evil even if the basketball is really great. We all have to make our own decisions on how much evil we're willing to be complicit in, though.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Just to play devil's advocate, isn't that exactly what Operation Paperclip was?

Probably one reason they kept it secret is the public may not have completely approved, no? Maybe you're arguing the NBA should be doing more to cover up their collusion with an oppressive communist regime that is our enemy?

And the NBA isn't taking Chinese citizens (arguably exploited themselves) and using them to help defeat communism. Or were we really trying to steal Nazi scientists so we could, like, umm, help enable and strengthen and legitimize Nazism?

In fact, consider the cultural and financial power of the NBA? They could actually be taking chinese players and using the power of the NBA to bring about positive change in a communist country. But instead they're doing the opposite, and seem complicit it furthering the communist regime, at worst. At best they look the other way for profit.

Next argument?

The only argument, like I said, is how much evil each of us as individuals is willing to support. It's a fair and adult approach. I was okay with Chinese adults, not kids, being somewhat exploited to make shoes for NBA stars. I was okay with letting players like Yao Ming be players and even cultural ambassadors. Because those things could have brought about positive changes to China and the world, even if perhaps not doing much to improve the product on court.

I'm not okay with concentration camps, unleashing plagues on the world, killing tens of thousands of Americans with fentanyl, endlessly damaging our economy, enacting authoritarian rule over Hong Kong, etc, and not only having the NBA shrug it off for profit, but the NBA actively participating in censoring American citizens who care enough to want to have a discussion on these evils.

It's a sliding scale that everyone has to decide for themselves how much evil they'll condone if the basketball is fun to watch.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
TBH, I'm not really making any argument. Your first line made me think of Operation Paperclip, that's all. I'm just as tired of corporate pandering as you are, but I didn't really watch the NBA prior to this, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I more enjoy reading about the sport than participating in it as a viewer/fan.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
TBH, I'm not really making any argument. Your first line made me think of Operation Paperclip, that's all. I'm just as tired of corporate pandering as you are, but I didn't really watch the NBA prior to this, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I more enjoy reading about the sport than participating in it as a viewer/fan.

You still made an argument, and fairly so, which is why I try to engage the argument as a devil's advocate one and not you personally.

I was in a similar boat where I would follow the NBA more in print and podcast than watch many non-playoff games. But those clicks validate the NBA and those that profit from it and cover it uncritically. And even Bill Simmons and the Ringer were proving themselves simpletons on matters beyond the sport, but eager to repeat or accept ignorant political perspectives on their shows.

It's all cut off now. And this year I'm at the point I raise issues with fans I know and explain why I have issues. And shit up this thread, or course!

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm just as tired of corporate pandering as you are, but I didn't really watch the NBA prior to this, so I don't have a dog in this fight.
It's not just the pandering. The players are fomenting race riots and lionizing a criminal who is accused of serially sexually assaulting a woman in front of her children. It's truly despicable behavior from LeBron and those following his lead.

Half the league is racist and idolizes people like Farrakhan. I had no idea how widespread that ideological cancer was among black Americans until this year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Wow I had no idea Miami was leading 3-0. Spoelstra is such a legit coach. Only coach to ever outlive LeBron.

• 1Worf

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Spo is fantastic and Pat Riley deserves plenty of credit, too. Identified and fostered the talent of a guy from the film room, quieted the Musketeers as they called for his own return to the bench, and kept finding talent to keep the party alive in South Beach.

• 1Like

babo

Golden Knight of the Realm
The NBA Bubble got a playa fucked up! Westbrick is trending on twitter and he looks terrible since the start of the playoffs. He missed free throws when the Rockets needed him most. Like why the fuck during the playoffs does he decide to shoots 3s?!? I fuckin hate the Lakers and LBJ! I want the Lakers to make it to the finals but only if the Boston Celtics make it. Hopefully Celtics can make this a 6-7 game series match up against the Raptors to make it to the ECF. Brad Stevens needs to be traded if the Celtics lose this series enough is enough!! :emoji_shamrock: :emoji_trophy:

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried telling you Celtics were fucked. They lost the series when they gave up that buzzer beater.

If they don't win game 5 its definitely over. I dont think you can blame Stevens. Whats sad is the road to finals was paved nicely for them with the Bucks shitting the bed. This next game is basically a championship game for them.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I tried telling you Celtics were fucked. They lost the series when they gave up that buzzer beater.

If they don't win game 5 its definitely over. I dont think you can blame Stevens. Whats sad is the road to finals was paved nicely for them with the Bucks shitting the bed. This next game is basically a championship game for them.

I still think this match up favors the Celtics, if they get their heads out their asses.