Need computer speakers for my deck. Any suggestions?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, here's the game plan.

I built a really nice deck on the back of my house. It sits all of 25 feet away from my computer. We don't ever listen to the radio, so I'm looking for a way to put speakers out on the deck, but they don't need to be there full time. I can carry them (or it if there's only 1) out when I have a BBQ or something.

There is not a speaker wire connection outside, so using a receiver and wired speakers aren't going to work for this.

I would need something wireless (or bluetooth), but I want it to connect to the PC so I can use Pandora or MP3's or whatever.
Lastly, I do have a 110v outlet readily available on the deck, so I would prefer something that needs to be plugged in as opposed to something that requires batteries.

Let me know what you think will work.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do you have a smartphone/tablet? That would probably be the easiest route, as your smartphone/tablet should easily get a wifi signal from your home. From there you can use all the usual apps (pandora, spotify, etc) to google music/itunes, or if you want to play mp3s directly off your PC, there are many file browsers available that you can explore your entire computer network with.

From there, all you need outside is any set of speakers that plug in via a headphone-type jack if you want to get off fairly cheap, or if you want the luxury of sitting with your phone/tablet in your hand and the speaker not near you or attached via cord, there are a lot of bluetooth speaker options. Something like this would work nicely:http://reviews.cnet.com/bluetooth-sp...-35567062.html

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Thanks for the suggestion. I went on the cheap and found this on ebay. It was used, but still had all of the accessory parts. $145 instead of $250. Not bad.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Are there any better 5.1 sets for a desktop than the logitechs yet? Im sure thats up for opinion but ive been using my Logitech Z-680 5.1 since it first came out and they are still just as good as day 1 without any of the speakers dying out on me in all these years. However im thinking to upgrade so i can use the bluetooth sync on the newer versions with my ipad and other devices.

rrr_img_79236.jpg

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I had a nice Dell 5.1 set from for ever ago and decided to clean up some wires by going to a Creative Gigaworks set. I've got to tell you these little bastards are impressive. I have been drinking so forgive me if there is any insanity here.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The current crop of Logitechs is a big step back compared to the last generation I hear so be careful. I guess they really hit it out of the park with the 2010ish releases and now have gotten a bit cheaper.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I can somewhat agree. I used to have the Logitech Z-5500 speaker monstrosity for my computer, but it died. Apparently that happens a lot. Unfortunately, it died after like 6 years, and Logitech no longer carried the parts from that older model in their inventory. As a result, I now have the Z906. It definitely isn't as big and powerful as the old system, but it sounds more crisp. Much tighter "sounding" speakers than the old ones which focused on a booming heavy bass. All in all, I like the change, but then again I never had the 2 speakers running side by side to give an exact comparison.