New Progression Server confirmed

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Polling for a month screams of push it off. The options they listed aren't even fleshed out or taken from player feedback.

I don't think the poll will even reflect what most people want. The amount of people reading the forums and with silver accounts is most likely a small fraction of those who will show.

To me this is just wasted time gathering useless information. We could be testing bugs or giving real feedback. This just harps back to my experience with brad Mcquaid. Game designers have zero common sense and are far from efficient and realistic.

People on this forum and others have come up with great ideas the past two progression servers and we ended up with half assed. I'm worried that we are going to get some abomination of a server after three more month long polls.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a EMU progression server, using current or more recent code, maybe even the Titanium client, just with the changes we've been talking about. So no, not the true classic experience, there is P99 for that if you want, but a progression type server that actually was done well?

But I also get the draw to playing on an official server instead.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a EMU progression server, using current or more recent code, maybe even the Titanium client, just with the changes we've been talking about. So no, not the true classic experience, there is P99 for that if you want, but a progression type server that actually was done well?

But I also get the draw to playing on an official server instead.
It's all about the numbers and community. The content can be seen anytime I load up my personal server. These progression servers have more players in a starting zone than most emu servers. I don't think emus are well done in general and have turned people off permanently.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I thought that kpemu server was pretty well done, at least up to velious.. i stopped playing when people started unlocking luclin lol

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep. I miss that server! Post-Velious was horrible, as you said.

Prior to that, loads of fun. I don't think I can remember an Emu getting a "Preferred" listing so quickly. It had a good following for what it was.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
EMU servers seemed like a better idea when they had original content. But course they have all the same problems of old eq, plus lots of new ones. And they probably try to be even more hardcore like those dumbfuck player mods for Fallout where you starve to death in a day and can only move at walk speed and all the other masochistic roleplayer horseshit.

So I saw the actual poll and they were all worse options than just doing the same thing again. Longer locks! Stop at some old expansion that's been retread a hundred times! No locks at all - play until your shitbucket overflows! Voting voting voting, even though voting was completely pointless last time!

Hell, unless they stop it early, the current server still has over a year to go.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And they probably try to be even more hardcore like those dumbfuck player mods for Fallout where you starve to death in a day and can only move at walk speed and all the other masochistic roleplayer horseshit.
actually most EMU servers try to make things easy mode.

Column_sl

shitlord
I would probly play a new progression server, but vanilla will be done in 3 days.

I wish they would make a server with a super harsh death penalty, the original exp grind with hell levels , and no bonus exp zones other then the ones they had in vanilla (i.e Guk etc)

Games too broken for progression now. People will just destroy everything instantly.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It did have hell levels, they were level 1-10

And what you describe goes nowhere near fixing all the things that make it so easy now. It would be easier to buff the content to match, because it could be done on regular servers, too. No special codebase needed.

What I was trying to do was offer suggestions that are actually feasible instead of the usual pipe dream bullshit that people have repeated for a decade. I'm actually pretty surprised at the mixed reactions to the one post of mine someone cross posted to the official forums - I expected pitchforks.

Vaclav

It did have hell levels, they were level 1-10

And what you describe goes nowhere near fixing all the things that make it so easy now. It would be easier to buff the content to match, because it could be done on regular servers, too. No special codebase needed.

What I was trying to do was offer suggestions that are actually feasible instead of the usual pipe dream bullshit that people have repeated for a decade. I'm actually pretty surprised at the mixed reactions to the one post of mine someone cross posted to the official forums - I expected pitchforks.
Yep, besides TL people there's only a handful that hate the ideas. (And even the TL folks like a few parts of your ideas - they're mostly on point)

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just an fyi.. I made a toon on Tunare to start from scratch and try and relearn how to play, and there is a guild starting up who plan on doing progression from Omens to current. In era items only, no defiant etc., (except can get high lvl help to gear up through lvl 65 content..just not anything in oow where they will actually start).

Vaclav

I'm starting to question if some people are legitimately retarded. There's at least a few casual people saying things like "Sad truth is, if this ultimately happens, all the instancing in the world won't save the server or the game. If these guys are using third party programs and being as disruptive as possible and there isn't any CSR in place at all, the whole thing is doomed anyway. Hopefully they change their tune about the CSR tickets when things get sorted out over there."

Apparently he can't see the difference where one influences the play of others and the other doesn't. (Besides stuff like blatant constant trains and other serious constant harassment that I'm sure will be the only cases they bother intervening on - if they're not intervening on stuff like that after multiple reports - then yea, the entire game is doomed)

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm starting to question if some people are legitimately retarded. There's at least a few casual people saying things like "Sad truth is, if this ultimately happens, all the instancing in the world won't save the server or the game. If these guys are using third party programs and being as disruptive as possible and there isn't any CSR in place at all, the whole thing is doomed anyway. Hopefully they change their tune about the CSR tickets when things get sorted out over there."

Apparently he can't see the difference where one influences the play of others and the other doesn't. (Besides stuff like blatant constant trains and other serious constant harassment that I'm sure will be the only cases they bother intervening on - if they're not intervening on stuff like that after multiple reports - then yea, the entire game is doomed)
I would be concerned about kill stealing and training in group content. Most group content will be dead making trains pretty pointless, but kill stealing could be a real problem. Unless your group has nukers, you will not be getting many kills. If there was a way to funnel shit players into one place it would be great, the problem is the shit players like to pick on people and will also roll on casual servers. The only real way to deal with them is through daybreak and CS. I think this whole thing is shaping up to be a shit fest.

Vaclav

From quotes elsewhere though - they're still supposed to get involved in "egregious in game offenses" or something like that (barring guild disputes, that they've said they're not dealing with anymore). I'd like to think if someone has been petitioned dozens of times for training/KSing that's one of the cases they'll deal with or maybe for hacking. Either way, I'd imagine they'll intervene in stuff like that, that's constant and can easily be watched for a repeat occurrence versus raid stuff that they'd be waiting days to see a repeat occurrence of.

I might be overly optimistic though.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
From quotes elsewhere though - they're still supposed to get involved in "egregious in game offenses" or something like that (barring guild disputes, that they've said they're not dealing with anymore). I'd like to think if someone has been petitioned dozens of times for training/KSing that's one of the cases they'll deal with or maybe for hacking. Either way, I'd imagine they'll intervene in stuff like that, that's constant and can easily be watched for a repeat occurrence versus raid stuff that they'd be waiting days to see a repeat occurrence of.

I might be overly optimistic though.
The hacking community is doing cart wheels atm. They believe there will be no more ban waves and that the true wild wild west era of EQlive has begun.

God Bless Everything

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Considering how easily accessible warp is, if instancing was implemented, you'd have to design content so that warp wouldn't be an advantage. Given that a lot of people want classic mechanics, that means the content is exploitable and warping will be done en masse. Giving them instances only ensures that a TLP server will rapidly advance with no way of verifying a kill. I can almost guarantee that SOE doesn't have logging on EQLive for short hop warps.

And you can also edit the s3d files in the client now. Ever want to build a bridge under city of mist that mobs infinitely path to? I'm sure that's possible given that sharks get stuck in walls most of the time.

Vaclav

You don't honestly think the stuff they could "warp to kill quick" aren't going to die as soon as people level enough to land shit on them anyhow for the first 3 expansions?

And I doubt your editing map files theory would work - there's no reason for the pathing to go through the client - seems like that would only be helpful for your own movement.

Crone

Man, I had a sick power leveling spot in Uguk when warp wasn't being detected on Vulak. lol... To justify it I just said to myself that the same could be done without warp, would have been just a little slower, and more annoying.

Had a higher level enchanter with all the stuns loaded. Then would warp to a mob, aggro it, and then /warpreturn to quickly return back to camp. Then stare at the map, and watch the train roll in and all get stunned and killed. Wash, rinse repeat. Was great times.

Those are my memories of warp, but ya... I'm a dirty hacker, etc etc. Whatevers! had fun!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I just didn't want to tap one button every x seconds for hours on end. Hell, autoit was my backup when MQ wasn't updated and a lot of that time that's all I bothered to use. The need to box to do anything at all outside of raids sorta grew it from there though. Warp was long gone by then. I'd have probably quit if I had gotten used to that level of convenience only to have it taken away, heh.

(and more than half of users did, and it never really recovered)

Speaking of convenient, I thought of the one combo that I could probably tolerate in any era: Mage/bard/healer (druid fits best imo). Half the game plays a mage now for good reason. A whole raid's worth of utility, tanking, healing, and dps with near zero need to worry over gear. Throw in wizard mercs boosted by the bard and you become a god.

But that's just talking out my ass because I know how quickly I get bored of EQ.