New Progression Server confirmed

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah, theres no chance you'll see it in may if the poll ends at the end of march. Probably june or july, specially if they have to program seasonal shit lol

Needless

Toe Sucker
Aye, hopefully not. I can see people wanting a seasonal limited server though.. an annually reset velious server or something weird lol

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You never know. I don't know how so many people really want a Limited progression server, and yet we have 2 of those crazies right here on this board, if not more!

It would be great, for the few months that it was progressing, and then you hit that brick wall in whatever expansion, and know that it's never going past that.

Please explain what the point of playing after that would be? Or do you want Limited Progression, because you wouldn't play after that, so F the rest of the expansions?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Population will drop dramatically post Velious, maybe have a resurgence in PoP and then absolute ghost down if they go beyond that.

THAT is why they need limited progression.

Regarding old zones, I highly doubt they would do it. They would need a separate patch file for the server for the old zones. Simply not going to happen.

Siddar

1 No work cause no server.
2 Uses existing progression server model no new work except turning server on.
3 Same as two but minor change to expansion unlock timer.
4 Same as two just have to decide what expansion is the cut off point.
5 Would need work extending achievement system back into older content,

1-4 can happen the day the poll closes, 5 will take several months to sort out so summer would be most likely start for seasonal reset.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Population will drop dramatically post Velious, maybe have a resurgence in PoP and then absolute ghost down if they go beyond that.

Regarding old zones, I highly doubt they would do it. They would need a separate patch file for the server for the old zones. Simply not going to happen.
The 2nd prog server with long unlocks was a fucking ghost town at the end of expansions. I quit, and soon saw my friends still playing on other games (on steam or whatever) and then next unlock boom back to full time eq. I suppose slow unlocks keeps the subs, but it does NOT keep the interest.

I think the move I'd make, if I was invest owner (NOT what I'd enjoy most) is a locked velious "classic" server and a rolling seasonal one, and the seasonal one should allow pre-luclin rulesets to transfer to the classic server (and anything obviously able to go to live). If prizes from seasonal servers can be relevant on normal servers all the better.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I think they need to make sure at the end of all things and the populations settle that they end up with a server frozen at PoP and a server that can keep on going. I wish they could bring back old zones but just knowing the Mac Server community alone would sustain some decent population on a PoP locked server. I think you'll see several P99 come over as well. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a Team PvP server come up but I think the best approach would be the Progression to PoP locked.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i forget -- did the progression servers start with enhanced out-of-combat regeneration?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i hope the new progression server doesn't have it. OOC regen totally changes the dynamic of the game. makes it way too easy when you don't have to worry about blowing a whole mana bar in a single fight.

Siddar

PoP is the natural end point for classic EQ. You can throw in LoY because it's just low level content with more bank space. LDoN you add to give level 65 a longer term end game + augs. It gives raiders LDoN raid items to chase after that are unique while still being sideways upgrades to Time gear. LDoN gives groupers very good but expensive merchant armor sets that they can spend months grinding out.

If you release GoD the server dies just like many did when they first released GoD and like happened to the most recent progression servers when GoD was released as well.

Next best stopping point is Luclin. But if you stop there you leave the server with contested raid content forever. You will also have a large number of people likely a majority are near majority that want to see PoP released.

Crone

And you don't think population will drop like a rock, as soon as PoP hits, and all the content is completed? Maybe EQMac is proving wrong, but I can't see PoP sustaining population numbers for really that long.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I missed out on a bunch of raids in the PoP time frame back when I played and then came back toward the end of it and was off and on up through around Uqua (which was so harsh without the intended level cap increase that it kinda broke me). I quit until House of Thule and came back with some friends for just the group setting, so the idea of starting over is a little appealing. My only concern is that it sounds almost like there is an almost professional progression crew that I might not be able to keep up with. Hell.. I am still trying to figure out what your 'poopsocking' comments mean (I am thinking its the new way to say cockblocking someone from progression kills for flags). How receptive is the community to someone like myself who may be an old school player but is not up to speed on all the raids like some of you are?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Progression 1.0 didn't at first (it was pre-TSS - when TSS launched it got it though) - Progression 2.0 did have it.
Prog 2.0 (fippy/vulak) did not have TSS regen until TSS. You did get the in-combat/out of combat indicators but it didnt affect your regen at all.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I missed out on a bunch of raids in the PoP time frame back when I played and then came back toward the end of it and was off and on up through around Uqua (which was so harsh without the intended level cap increase that it kinda broke me). I quit until House of Thule and came back with some friends for just the group setting, so the idea of starting over is a little appealing. My only concern is that it sounds almost like there is an almost professional progression crew that I might not be able to keep up with. Hell.. I am still trying to figure out what your 'poopsocking' comments mean (I am thinking its the new way to say cockblocking someone from progression kills for flags). How receptive is the community to someone like myself who may be an old school player but is not up to speed on all the raids like some of you are?
Poopsocking is when you keep a sock around your desk to poop in because you can't leave your keyboard during a camp. 4chan term that came about in the old EQ days or something I think?

You are correct that there will be a couple big guilds that will run things, but they'll amount to a small % of the population. Back when I played vanilla thru Velious EQ I only approached "hardcore" during a small segment of time. I even played P99 very casually and still enjoyed it. I think you'd be fine with the majority of the player base but if "trying to keep up" is a concern it just takes the time commitment.

I had the willpower to avoid these prog servers the last couple times. I think I'll cave and join in on this one. No clue what to play though. Don't want to box...never really enjoyed that. For just a single character do you guys suggest a solo class like a mage or necro or a group friendly class cleric/ench? Only thing I don't have any interest in playing is a tank.

Vaclav

Prog 2.0 (fippy/vulak) did not have TSS regen until TSS. You did get the in-combat/out of combat indicators but it didnt affect your regen at all.
Oh neat - I swore it did for some length - was it patched out later or am I just remembering completely wrong because of the indicators?

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
it would be cool if they did the server with instancing. being able to instance raid all of the dragons so everyone can experience them since their customers now have jobs and children. I love me some contested but i cant wake up at 2 am anymore to do dragons!

Vaclav

it would be cool if they did the server with instancing. being able to instance raid all of the dragons so everyone can experience them since their customers now have jobs and children. I love me some contested but i cant wake up at 2 am anymore to do dragons!
Definitely some people lobbying for it - no dev response on the concept yet however.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Oh neat - I swore it did for some length - was it patched out later or am I just remembering completely wrong because of the indicators?
It always had weird artifact regen where your bars would get phantom tics and then go back down to what they should be, but it was always only a UI error afaik. I played until TSS on fippy and I remember it being such a massive difference when it opened as a wizard, I went from massive 10m med times to being pretty damn good vs trash and in xp grps.

Instancing some content in EQ would definitely work. Give us instanced planes, instanced VP, TOV, sleepers, VT and it would be a huge boost to the servers life. The Game probably could sustain 5 month locks between xpacs if it had some instancing to increase content availability.