New Progression Server confirmed

Amenra

Molten Core Raider
1500 paying a total of $0/mo... (and many of which quit after 4 months or so from what others have said on here)
Who cares if they quit theres still more people who come to the server to replace them.

Or get banned without reason~
Which is exactly why I wanted a Daybreak Classic server.

I enjoyed Luclin, I enjoyed PoP, LoY, DoN. But anything after that IMO just sucked and ruined the game.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just asking, but which instance of recent staff corruption are we talking about? Genuinely don't know about any specific instances with current staff.
Thankfully I lay low and until you guys started playing I had stayed away from the game for years. There are quite a few examples in the P99 thread of people getting banned for putting in tickets asking for help due to a bug or what ever. Admittedly though that was years ago and I hope things are cleaned up. It's also extremely likely some of if not all the current GM's are involved in the plat sales.

My friend refuses to play on a server locked into Kunark or Velious so we will likely give this a try. I kind of wish it would open with Kunark since Iksar are my favorite race but oh well.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
zIAZiyf.jpg

We should 'feel bad' because we're not charging anything (EQEmulator is free, open source software that contains NONE of your intellectual property...) and have made an enjoyable experience that can be modified in any way an end user feels fit... and we're somehow in the wrong.

EQEmulator is more professional with comments than Daybreak Games. Go figure.

PS: Elidroth, I'd like an apology on RadarX's behalf for this comment.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Uh Secrets, yes it does contain their intellectual property - unless you didn't use a single line of text that they wrote for NPCs/NPC placement/zone files/etc.

Intellectual property can be something as silly as two lines from a song and some such in legal circles, I've not goofed with any emulated servers - but I can't imagine any have done all the work to create something 100% new with zero copying.

Vaclav

RadarX should stick to just closing the thread per company policy instead of commenting on things he is obviously completely ignorant about. Nothing on EQEmulator is stolen.
"Blurred Lines" lawsuit defense said similar - how did that one work out again?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Uh Secrets, yes it does contain their intellectual property - unless you didn't use a single line of text that they wrote for NPCs/NPC placement/zone files/etc.

Intellectual property can be something as silly as two lines from a song and some such in legal circles, I've not goofed with any emulated servers - but I can't imagine any have done all the work to create something 100% new with zero copying.
We did not use a single line of text they wrote for NPC placement or zone files. It's all packet collected, and not distributed with the end application. Unless you mean to say that copying Wikipedia is illegal and infringing on Wikipedia's rights, because that is the same way that EQEmulator gets the information - a web request on a publicly accessible website, which they host.

By that logic, Alla would have to remove all quest text, NPC locations, and Magelo would have to remove loot data and character data. As it infringes on their rights as the same data is collected in game and displayed on a website in the same manner that data is collected on EQEmulator.

Rogean_sl

shitlord
Vaclav, there is the common misconception among daybreak employees that emulator servers run off stolen source code. Secrets can point out some proof of this if you want. This is what RadarX is referring to.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Vaclav, there is the common misconception among daybreak employees that emulator servers run off stolen source code. Secrets can point out some proof of this if you want. This is what RadarX is referring to.
Commits · EQEmu/Server · GitHub- look at that, EQEmulator doesn't use SOE code and I can prove this in a court of law because they put symbol files mistakenly on their test server patcher.
None of the code in that link matches up with the symbols that Sony released on their own.

Furthermore I can't legally distribute the .map and .exe pair because it's their property. Not going to risk that to prove my point on a public message board. So you'll just have to take my word for that.

Vaclav

We did not use a single line of text they wrote for NPC placement or zone files. It's all packet collected, and not distributed with the end application. Unless you mean to say that copying Wikipedia is illegal and infringing on Wikipedia's rights, because that is the same way that EQEmulator gets the information - a web request on a publicly accessible website, which they host.

By that logic, Alla would have to remove all quest text, NPC locations, and Magelo would have to remove loot data and character data. As it infringes on their rights as the same data is collected in game and displayed on a website in the same manner that data is collected on EQEmulator.
Those sites have had permission given to do so for that purpose. (And Alla's in the distant past [talking during Kunark era] did take everything offline because of an IP dispute briefly - I think it was just adding copyright info that was missing, but there was a timeframe briefly when they were down from an IP dispute)

Rogean: I'm sure your backend is different, usually that's not referred to as intellectual property though. If he was referencing that as IP that's a odd way to put it.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Those sites have had permission given to do so for that purpose. (And Alla's in the distant past [talking during Kunark era] did take everything offline because of an IP dispute briefly - I think it was just adding copyright info that was missing, but there was a timeframe briefly when they were down from an IP dispute)

Rogean: I'm sure your backend is different, usually that's not referred to as intellectual property though. If he was referencing that as IP that's a odd way to put it.
"A "derivative work" is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording,art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, oradapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, orother modifications, which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a "derivative work"."

EQEmulator would fall under this category. It's based off of a concept and heavily modified, without using the direct source material.

It could also fall under "? 108 . Limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries and archives" of the DMCA, see: archive.org

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure you wouldn't want to test that in court. Thankfully Daybreak doesn't want to risk it either.

Fun was had by all.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Pretty sure you wouldn't want to test that in court. Thankfully Daybreak doesn't want to risk it either.
I'm not a lawyer, so of course I wouldn't be.

Also, while we're at it, "Blurred Lines" infringement made money off of the infringing. EQEmulator does not make money on the project.

In before 'lol secrets is naive Rogean making mad RMT money'

Vaclav

Right, the fact that you're not making money is why it's not worth it to them to get it shutdown I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure if you started making money off of it, they'd have an injunction in quick order. But when it's going to cost them money to even start on it, and they likely wouldn't get anything back - it's bad math to even bother.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The use of their assets and/or likeness of their in-game assets is enough to support a cease and desist order. NPC and item names are also protected as well. Their splash screens, server select, etc. are all used. All that being said, there's no lawsuit to be had, or anything to that degree that would be worth the company's time but again, if they wanted to send a cease and desist order and you didn't stop, it would take just a few side-by-side screenshots and Project1999 or EQEmu's inability to provide some documentation stating consent from SoE/Daybreak then a judge would rule to shut you down.

It would be of very poor taste of Daybreak to make any move towards EQemu or any of the servers currently available. It would have a very negative backlash on their company and they should be the one's ashamed to not offer the Everquest experience their playerbase deserves. They have completely changed a game that assisted in putting MMO's on the map. Not matter the faults EQ has or had the experience in some way should have been preserved even if it is within a single server. If they are not going to offer it, they should feel privileged that they have such a passionate player base that is willing to do so without charging a cent or causing any problems.

Just asking, but which instance of recent staff corruption are we talking about? Genuinely don't know about any specific instances with current staff.
The most recent suspected instance is the mysterious "retirement" of Derubael, who disappeared from the forums without comment. The rumor is that he was providing name changes for RMT'd characters. If that's true, it's hard to imagine he wasn't being compensated for it in some manner. I was recently, permanently banned from P99's forums for speculating about it. Either that or they banned me for making fun of pillhead McQuaid and his failed kickstarter that they tried to support.

You have to take the staff corruption and/or incompetence as a whole on P99. The PvP server launched and was a complete blast for a while. Holocaust emerged as the top dogs on the server and Nihilum zerged it up to try to compete. Nihilum had numbers but they were pathetic at PvP. In all likelihood, without Rogean's intervention Nihilum would have been shit stomped by Holo and its membership eventually scattered due to lack of progress. Only one factor made it possible for Nihilum to overtake Holo as the dominant guild on the server: Rogean banned Holo.

I have no doubt that Holo cheated but it's commonly known that Nihilum used the same exploit and went unpunished. At the time Holo was banned, former GM Uthgaard went on the forums and pointed out that Nihilum was run by Nizzar, a known RMTer who had previously been banned from Blue. As a result of Rogean's actions, Nizzar was able to establish Nihilum as the dominant guild on the server for almost three years, during which the guild was run continuously as an RMT scheme.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Daybreak is obviously out of touch on this issue. Not unexpected. Disappointing though considering Elidroths status and involvement on these boards.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
It's pretty laughable. I recently got involved making commits to an EQEmu fork. (TAKP) The last thing I did actually was to make NPCs only proc on hits instead of also misses. There are tons of gameplay errors like that in the code. Reviewing the code actually made me appreciate the work Project 1999 put in to their fork. The whole thing is especially ironic considering EverQuest's history of being accused of ripping off diku source.

Regarding Holocaust: I was in the guild when that ban happened (was offline that day though). The top leveled Nihilum members also reached the level cap super fast by recharging wands that weren't supposed to be rechargable, which allowed them to farm things like manstones all day without fear. I saw manastones and 'druid powerleveling' services for sale (by the same seller) on an RMT site at a time when there were only two possible druids on the entire server that it could be.

Now being in the occasional (I mostly dev) GM position myself on TAKP, it's super clear to me that users will almost always assume the worst of you and make up wild conspiracies. Not only that, but many bad actors will lie on forums as another way to cause grief. Just because cheating goes unpunished for some time, usually just means that the staff is unaware and likely lacks the manpower to police the server 24/7. It's particularly difficult to find people who want to be GMs and have the integrity, gameplay knowledge, and free time to do the job well. Most people can't.

Just for the sake of argument (I have zero idea what happened), if Derubael was removed for RMT involvement, then that only means Rogean is finding out who the rogue GMs are and is removing them. I fail to see how that supports the argument that they are all involved.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
We should 'feel bad' because we're not charging anything (EQEmulator is free, open source software that contains NONE of your intellectual property...)
I don't want to beat this to death, but it's odd that you think there's literally zero infringement going on when you're using all of their art assets, zone designs, lore, etc. Just because you manually reproduced the code (as opposed to copy/pasting) doesn't mean the other assets aren't protected.