New Progression Server confirmed

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Raid changes were posted.

Hey everyone,

As Holly mentioned, we've been doing some work on raid targets and high end zones on Progression Servers. There are more active players on Ragefire and Lockjaw than there ever were on our launch servers, and right now there's too much competition for some very limited resources. We know some of you have suggested moving the raid targets into private instances, but we firmly believe that competition is a definitive component of the original EverQuest experience.

At launch, as now, there is only one Lord Nagafen and only one Lady Vox. If you defeated them, you also had to compete with a server full of people who wanted to defeat them, too. That's a pretty big accomplishment.

So, in the spirit of making raid content more available while still allowing for competition and accomplishment, here's what we have planned for an update in July:

Nagafen's Lair, Permafrost Keep, the Hole, and Kedge Keep are now load-balancing zones. This will let more people have access to these zones for XP and non-raid items (WTB GEBs, PST).
We now have a way to prevent raid targets from spawning in extra load-balanced zones. We have done this with Lord Nagafen, Lady Vox, Master Yael, and Phinigel Autropos so they will only ever spawn in the base version of their zones.
All raid targets (dragons, Phinigel, Yael, and gods) now spawn more often than they used to, but have a much larger variance in their spawn times so they'll be more difficult to predict.
We've made the raid bosses more difficult, so that they will require coordination of more adventurers to tackle them successfully. Healing and support should once again be very important in these encounters.
Speaking of Hate and Fear, while we didn't implement load balancing, we did reduce the respawn time of all non-raid targets by two thirds. Any mini-bosses that didn't have persistent timers (such as the Fear golems) now have them and have additional variance in their respawn times. This means that they won't necessarily be spawned when the server first comes up.

In summary, we're increasing availability so that there are more chances at the content, increasing difficulty for both a greater challenge and to require coordination of larger groups of people, and increasing variance in spawn timers so that knowledge of the last kill time is less of an advantage.

We're hoping that the combination of these changes will both relieve some of the competition for experience and item content at the top end of the server but keep the integrity and uniqueness of the race for raid targets. Thanks for playing!

Thraka_sl

shitlord
The changes they just implemented are absolutely hilarious, it literally does the exact opposite of what everyone was suggesting on the forums.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
These changes are the best possible outcome for top guilds. I hope the difficulty boost is drastic.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well I hoped for instancing personally but I'll give this a try. I do find it funny that instancing is anti EQ but making early raid targets much harder is not. If it fucks the box armies though I am all for it.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Speaking of Hate and Fear, while we didn't implement load balancing, we did reduce the respawn time of all non-raid targets by two thirds. Any mini-bosses that didn't have persistent timers (such as the Fear golems) now have them and have additional variance in their respawn times. This means that they won't necessarily be spawned when the server first comes up.
Also pretty nice that Hate & Fear will repop in 4 hours vs 12, that's throwing a bone to the masses.

@Zaide I hope its drastic too, other guilds on RF have problems as it is. It might help to separate the guilds out more if they do up the difficulty drastically, especially in sky and on Inny / CT who are loot pi?atas.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well I hoped for instancing personally but I'll give this a try. I do find it funny that instancing is anti EQ but making early raid targets much harder is not. If it fucks the box armies though I am all for it.
Yeah, boxers being unable to completely lock down GEBs is one of the nicest changes. It should tank their price pretty significantly.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get those changes. Wasn't the point of all the complaints was to allow more casual players a chance at killing raid targets...

All its doing is giving more loot to the top guilds and encourages more poopsocking(bigger variances), while increasing difficulty somehow.

I'd say only thing out of all that that even touches on the complaints is lower respawn on trash in the planes.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They can't complain about not getting shots at raid targets if they can't kill the raid target. I mean shit AD wiped on nagafen a week ago, what are they going to do in two weeks when he's buffed.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's going to be exciting to engage them after they patch this. Gives back that whole unknown element that this server is lacking.
Exciting?

Given their reasons for not being able to change a lot of things and the haste of these changes, all you are likely to see is a increase in HP and a increase in damage output.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haven't played much, but hit 25 on my shaman - Knish is the name. Any of you exping in Kithicor on lockjaw? I'm looking to scrub loot one of those +6 wis hammers from the decaying healers.

Ruined Battleworn Morning Star - Project 1999 Wiki
There's been a few DHS groups XPing there a few times - I can keep an eye out.

Zaide_sl said:
Low tier guilds will never see a CT with the trash respawn timer changed.
Eh? When have you seen a guild take longer than 3-4 hrs to clear Fear trash? Seriously - unless you mean REALLY low tier.