New World

Xerge

<Donor>
Why would they nerf it? Anyone can use it. This isn't "Shadow Priests/Necros/Druids/Pallys/Arms Warriors are OP" Anyone who wants to use the Great Axe can pick it up and use it. Balance it out a little? Sure. This is the kind of shit that the Dev team are going to have to watch out for and look at the usage and stats from the game before they make any moves. Knee Jerk balance actions will inevitably end up in everything that get the attention of the crowd and becoming the Meta getting the the stick. Which sucks. Make other stuff a little better; Fine tune this shit, don't put the hammer down!

Yo it's broken, literally. The pull skill hits twice and I believe there's something about the heavy attacks. So yeah you're correct, everyone can pick up the broken GA right now, and that's exactly that's what they'r doing. They are using it because it in fact is broken.

I don't disagree with you though.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea pull black hole skill or whatever is BROKE AS FUCK.

2hand axe is by far the most broken weapon. Yeah anyone can just pick it and use it but then that ruins the game. Rapier is actually pretty damn good, but 2 hand axe is just better. Shield is cool, but 2 hand axe is better.

Throwing hatchet is cool but 2 hand axe is better.

I saw a lvl 27 2 hand axe duel and kill a lvl 52 sword and board like 5 times.

Xerge

<Donor>
1627829605063.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im sure they gathered tons of data throughout all levels and im sure this will get a huge balance pass if not a few before release. Im sure exp rates will be looked at too. Even though they already nerfed some of the standouts.
giphy.gif

Not to be negative, but they got a lot of shit to do before release. The GA does have a double hit component/bug, and they'll likely fix that. But a balance pass like Ive been saying is definitely needed and I just dont see it happening in this tight of a time frame.

Things I believe could shore up combat since Stagger is out, are a lot of things other games have done already. Such as...

1. Stamina usage and armor weight. A guy wielding a great axe and full plate should empty out his stamina bar charging across the field and get a much shorter distance than a guy in light armor wielding a Great Axe.
  2. Skills need a base amount of stamina to use. That Charge on the Battle Axe should use an ever increasing amount of stamina the longer the charge. That Execute should use just as much stamina as a Dodge. Hes jumping in the air and smashing down ffs. If we're going to limit spells to a mana bar, then the same should be said for melee skills. Constitution should not only increase Health, but increase Stamina. Just like int/focus does for mana. If its already like this, then I havent noticed any gains simply because stamina is so narrowly used on Dodge and Block.
  3. Resistances are something that theyre failing on greatly as well. Each weapon has a damage type, such as thrust or blunt etc. But there is no point to those damage differences if all of our gear is just a plain jane flat out +protection, +elemental. If they put some actual imagination into armor, then we could isolate resists toward different weapons. We could also have a point to certain types of armor that I have yet to see in this game instead of this mix and match system to stay in one weight range or another. Chain mail and Padded armors should be those armors that give more protection and stay in a weight range. The lesser defensive option of course using less stamina in the first bullet points system. Isolate difference even further by saying Padded Armor offers more resistance against Cold, but lesser resistance against Heat. (an example to show the difference in Light Armor.)
  4. Ranged weapons should have a small amount of Target Assist added to them (that can be toggled on/off), but they should also have a longer CD on shots. Damage amount being based off weapon type, the opponents resistances, and max/min damage should change based on range. A bow at max range should have a higher minimum damage than a Musket's minimum at max range. The offset being that a Bow has greater stamina usage on skills than a Musket. The closer ranged are to the target, the higher the maximum damage (not the minimum) on bow vs musket as well. Encourage people using ranged weapons to get closer to their opponent.
I could go on and on, but the thing that annoys the shit out of me is that they have all the settings/tools in the game already in order to make use of these - yet they would rather go the easier / lazier route. Or maybe theyre buying into Blizzards thought that casuals cant understand basic shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Yea pull black hole skill or whatever is BROKE AS FUCK.

2hand axe is by far the most broken weapon. Yeah anyone can just pick it and use it but then that ruins the game. Rapier is actually pretty damn good, but 2 hand axe is just better. Shield is cool, but 2 hand axe is better.

Throwing hatchet is cool but 2 hand axe is better.

I saw a lvl 27 2 hand axe duel and kill a lvl 52 sword and board like 5 times.
Yo it's broken, literally. The pull skill hits twice and I believe there's something about the heavy attacks. So yeah you're correct, everyone can pick up the broken GA right now, and that's exactly that's what they'r doing. They are using it because it in fact is broken.

I don't disagree with you though.
Broken is different than "better" i.e. meta balacing, so will I stand corrected. I did notice when I was leveling skills earlier GA seeming leveled way faster than that others but so did hatchet. I tended to main Sword and shield/life staff, though.

I have just seen this too often that Devs come in wielding a far too heavy nerf stick and you end up with a less fun game as a result, because they are worried about content exhaustion and player retention, so what looked and was perfectly good for leveling in development gets nerfed to shit when they realize that they need more time before the mass of the initial player base reaches the end game. It's not like there are going to be a lot of alts in this game to save them, either.

Daidraco

Broken is different than "better" i.e. meta balacing, so will I stand corrected. I did notice when I was leveling skills earlier GA seeming leveled way faster than that others but so did hatchet. I tended to main Sword and shield/life staff, though.

I have just seen this too often that Devs come in wielding a far too heavy nerf stick and you end up with a less fun game as a result, because they are worried about content exhaustion and player retention, so what looked and was perfectly good for leveling in development gets nerfed to shit when they realize that they need more time before the mass of the initial player base reaches the end game. It's not like there are going to be a lot of alts in this game to save them, either.
Are you sure they were leveling faster? Or did you just keep Sword and Board for a while, then start exploring other weapons later when higher level mobs are giving more weapon exp? For example, I used Hammer and Hatchet from low lvl up until 25 or so. Then tried Life Staff and got it to lvl 10 within 20 minutes. Same with Great Axe etc.

Redraw

Lurker
Theorycrafting Betas. Good for feedback, retarded if you just post on a forum. Every mmo I've beta'd since 99 had issues. Every one had major patches in the first stretch dwindling to what was cost effective. Give them feedback if you want to imrpove it, don't if you don't like the game. Minging on a forum is about as effective as protesting. Thread has more parachuters than the election.

"No, I'm just trying to help the other folks before they waste 40 dollars with no sub on a pvp sandbox thats more polished than half the shit we play."

You don't have to write a dissertation on not playing a game and having your achshually points.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Moron

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How do I go up to the next level? I read that I'm supposed to get a quest, but I don't see any in my journal other than the norm.
1627839002923.png

Daidraco

Theorycrafting Betas. Good for feedback, retarded if you just post on a forum. Every mmo I've beta'd since 99 had issues. Every one had major patches in the first stretch dwindling to what was cost effective. Give them feedback if you want to imrpove it, don't if you don't like the game. Minging on a forum is about as effective as protesting. Thread has more parachuters than the election.
Considering most people didnt get an invite until this Beta - I dont think anyone gives a shit who parachutes in at this point. Posting on any games direct forum makes no difference and is full of the LCD player having input on shit when theyre lvl 5. Ie. Fuck off.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

"No, I'm just trying to help the other folks before they waste 40 dollars with no sub on a pvp sandbox thats more polished than half the shit we play."

You don't have to write a dissertation on not playing a game and having your achshually points.
Amazing insight.

• 1Worf

Redraw

Lurker
Its ESO mixed with some UO. Its got enough of a population based on the beta not to immediately flop and have a patch cycle. Telling forum bros that you want a tweak is neat.

• 3Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 5 users

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I only played to level 28 so only got to do the first dungeon and plenty of corruption portals as far as group content goes. At the higher levels does actual tanking become more necessary? It always felt as if everything could just be muscled through with a bit of healing and plenty of dps.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Over nerfing is the worst. An imbalanced game is way, way better than a perfectly balanced game. As long as things are rotated, every now and again, it's good.

That's a big problem MMORPG's have though. For some reason many refuse to separate PvP/PvE abilities, so because of that, abilities get overly nerfed to be "perfectly balanced for PvP" consequently making the PvE boring as fuck. Seriously, just add some yellow text at the bottom of every ability that says what it's alterations are for PvP. Easy peasy. ESO devs refuse to do this for stubborn reasons.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Over nerfing is the worst. An imbalanced game is way, way better than a perfectly balanced game. As long as things are rotated, every now and again, it's good.

That's a big problem MMORPG's have though. For some reason many refuse to separate PvP/PvE abilities, so because of that, abilities get overly nerfed to be "perfectly balanced for PvP" consequently making the PvE boring as fuck. Seriously, just add some yellow text at the bottom of every ability that says what it's alterations are for PvP. Easy peasy. ESO devs refuse to do this for stubborn reasons.
I mean, they are already doing some algorithmic wonkery behind the scenes for level scaling, if they wanted to adjust weapon damage for PVP, do it there. So many games have been fucked by PvP tinkering and by PvP complaining. To quote that great philosopher Charlie Murphy, "fuck your couch", and by couch I mean PVP, if it ends up screwing over the whole game.

In this context it makes it a little harder to say, since the whole game really is based around PVP but as I said from the beginning, the game will live or die based upon the Devs ability to walk the tightrope of the Community and the Meta. GA may really be broken but the cries around various builds will not stop there. They never stop. You have to be responsive but also know when not to listen and what is a problem and what isn't.

• 1Solidarity

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I mean, they are already doing some algorithmic wonkery behind the scenes for level scaling, if they wanted to adjust weapon damage for PVP, do it there. So many games have been fucked by PvP tinkering and by PvP complaining. To quote that great philosopher Charlie Murphy, "fuck your couch", and by couch I mean PVP, if it ends up screwing over the whole game.

In this context it makes it a little harder to say, since the whole game really is based around PVP but as I said from the beginning, the game will live or die based upon the Devs ability to walk the tightrope of the Community and the Meta. GA may really be broken but the cries around various builds will not stop there. They never stop. You have to be responsive but also know when not to listen and what is a problem and what isn't.
Fucking can't stand PvP obsessed whiny bitches. They literally spend all day on the game's forums bitching louder than anyone and the developers always seem to cave. They've gutted so many fun, perfectly fine ESO builds/abilities because of PvP whiners and because of the policy of not separating abilities whatsoever between PvE/PvP (even though they do have 2 abilities with a slight difference in PvP that have been that way for ages).

If I hear a developer has a strong stance on making abilities the exact same for PvP and PvE, I know it's going to be a shit show on that fact alone. I hate punishing regular players in order to cater to the idiots they're afraid will get too confused if abilities are different in PvP/PvE. So yeah, hopefully New World doesn't do that.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users