NHL 2021 Irregular Season and Plagueoffs

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It may be a thing forever but doesnt mean it shouldnt be talked about or changed. If theres a penalty call it. If there is dont. Ticky tack bullshit like this swings games. And now that the league is involved in gambling it makes the product look rigged.

I just don't think any amount of it will change it. Often times they will use a make up call to try and "correct" a ticky tack call from earlier in the game. Which is stupid. I don't think it should imply more "rigged" outcomes, just the idea that if they called a poor penalty in the 1st period on one team and it resulted in a PP goal for the opposition, they're obviously going to try and look for the potential opportunity to call one the other way.

Maybe I've just watched hockey for too long that I'm desensitized from it all. Can't tell you how many times when the Caps had one of the top PP's in the league and we go 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 early in a game, and it was just completely obvious that we weren't going to get another call the rest of the game. Also obvious calls when a team is up like 4-0 that just go uncalled. These have all been in effect for a long time, I'm not sure anything will change even with this incident.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That was a garbage call but this kind of thing will likely continue until more refs get caught.

Glad it was Peel though. Won't be sorry to see him go.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

This happens in all leagues except baseball maybe. The NBA and NFL are even worse about. The NBA refs don't even hide their favoritism.

Merrith

This happens in all leagues except baseball maybe. The NBA and NFL are even worse about. The NBA refs don't even hide their favoritism.

It's just a different effect on each of the sports due to how much a penalty can swing a game. NBA unless it's crunch time a call or two one way or the other might not affect a game as much. NFL, probably depends on the type of call. A defensive holding or PI that awards a 1st down or massive chunk of yardage for PI spot foul could greatly affect a drive/outcome.

Of course, the NHL actually removes a player from the ice for 2 minutes and lets a team play 5 on 4. Scoring events are lower in hockey, as well, so a PP/PP goal here or there one way or the other can have a massive affect on a game.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's just a different effect on each of the sports due to how much a penalty can swing a game. NBA unless it's crunch time a call or two one way or the other might not affect a game as much. NFL, probably depends on the type of call. A defensive holding or PI that awards a 1st down or massive chunk of yardage for PI spot foul could greatly affect a drive/outcome.

Of course, the NHL actually removes a player from the ice for 2 minutes and lets a team play 5 on 4. Scoring events are lower in hockey, as well, so a PP/PP goal here or there one way or the other can have a massive affect on a game.
Ahh yes the missed PI call on the saints of I believe it was the 19'20 season in the NFC championship. It can certainly get drastic in the NFL. It's just not as obvious because the point structure is different. However I'd say the point swing is just as noticeable in the NFL as NHL

Merrith

Ahh yes the missed PI call on the saints of I believe it was the 19'20 season in the NFC championship. It can certainly get drastic in the NFL. It's just not as obvious because the point structure is different. However I'd say the point swing is just as noticeable in the NFL as NHL

It can be. Depends what type of penalty it is in NFL, and timing. PI is just huge b/c it's a spot foul, and automatic 1st down (or puts the ball on the 1 if penalty was in the end zone). So you can gain X amount of yards on that. Same with defensive holding. Could be 3rd and 20 or 4th and long, little quick hold by a DB even if a pass would have only gained 10 yards or something...it's an automatic 1st down. Those type of swings can be huge.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man, My sharks are dogshit atm but the Sabres are making it not feel so bad.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

This should make the trade deadline a little more interesting if it happens.

• 1Like

Animosity

Philly turned into a dumpster fire since their Covid outbreak a month ago. They’ve been worse than Buffalo defensively. How is that possible!

Merrith

Philly can't get goaltending to save their lives right now. Speaking of, Vanecek pretty much gifted Devils two goals tonight, glad to get the win.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
JFC Cal Foote is more of a liability then an asset and I understand Luke Schenn hasn't played in forever but cmon. You can tell these guys can't keep up with the fast pace of the forwards.

Animosity

JFC Cal Foote is more of a liability then an asset and I understand Luke Schenn hasn't played in forever but cmon. You can tell these guys can't keep up with the fast pace of the forwards.
He’s a rookie dude cut him some slack lol

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1616799656369.png

This one surprised me. I thought for sure SJS was above 30. I kid.

Merrith

It's kind of crazy Caps are the oldest...although I guess adding now 44 year old Chara right before the season didn't help the average.

Fadaar

That guy
It's kind of crazy Caps are the oldest...although I guess adding now 44 year old Chara right before the season didn't help the average.

I'd be interested to see what % of the league wasn't even born yet when he went pro

• 1Solidarity