Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Joradian_sl

shitlord
Ni No Kuni is solid. Studio Ghibli's animation blend well with the game mechanics, and grinding for the random familiar isn?t a chore because the game world is gorgeous. I am 15 hour in and the game is punishing, I've gone and done all the side quests before advancing the main story to just slide by on the boss fight. I can?t wait till the end game with the entire world opens up. Pick it up if you get a chance, it is worth it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was at like 19 or so when I beat him and it was pretty tough, I think at your level you just may be too low. This is one of those games I don't really mind grinding because the world is so beautiful.
Think I was about 19 as well. After dying twice what sealed it for me was using Mite and remembering to switch to Defend when he did his attacks. If i remember right even in Defend the bomb only did like 30 pts? Didn't bother trying to switch Esther to defend, she just died on the 2nd bomb. But if you set her to do nothing and then switch her over to heal when the bomb phase starts it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe I was just extremely lucky and ended up getting three gold orbs while defending.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
When I defeated him, I just attacked the pot like crazy when he went in and killed him while he was in it.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Picked this up at GameStop with the hardback - amazing the attention to detail on this.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
i found a pretty good exp grind spot on the floor right before the final save to the final boss. on that floor you`ll find like 6-7 mobs and each is a chance for a higher level tako to spawn which nets 30k exp. there's also a chance for a golden tako to spawn, which doesn't give any exp but does give 10k guilders and you get a chance to steal some rare materials. make sure you`re rocking veil and if no takos spawn just reload the game (making sure you save on that final save point.)

First RPG in ages that I have been able to play in 6 to 8 hour blocks without feeling like I am forcing it. Love it thus far.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is the demo representative of the full game? I do not like Tales-style combat at all and the writing did very little to grab my attention.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Is the demo representative of the full game? I do not like Tales-style combat at all and the writing did very little to grab my attention.
I thought the Demo was a horrible representation of the game - it just tosses you into boss battles without the benefit of the tutorial(s) you get in the full game. It's very jarring.

I wouldn't say the combat is Tales-like (they are both JRPGs so obviously they are going to be similar), but the open world running around is definitely Tales-esque. The combat is more like Pokemon (You only have 4-7 moves available at one time), where you can switch between familiars and between other party members and their familiars - there's no combos or mystic artes like in Tales games.

The combat isn't really AMAZING in this game, it's fine - but to me it's more about the atmosphere, story, music, visuals, and all the detail they put into everything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Demo represents just one small facet of the game - combat. The real beauty in this game is when they take off the training wheels and let you go. It is so very reminiscent of games like Chrono Trigger and FF6 in how the overworld map is represented. This is really how FF13-2 should have been made, but instead they just diarrhea dumped all over my favorite series.. but I digress.

Still enjoying this, only 12 hours in. Been grinding up a bit to level up my familiars and make some money before I fight the boss on the boat again. I notice the higher level I am getting, the less retarded the AI acts. I still don't quite understand why if Swaine just upgraded his first familiar he gets and it's level 1, why is he busting him out rather than using my level 20 monkey that has already been updated once. Is there some secret? Do they go by priority and just throw out the first until time is up then the second and so on?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Was bored so decided to go for the trophies even though they're grindy. 250 Familiars was fairly easy, might even fill out the whole book. Only trophy I have left is the Alchemy one which is by far the worst.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Demo represents just one small facet of the game - combat. The real beauty in this game is when they take off the training wheels and let you go. It is so very reminiscent of games like Chrono Trigger and FF6 in how the overworld map is represented. This is really how FF13-2 should have been made, but instead they just diarrhea dumped all over my favorite series.. but I digress.

Still enjoying this, only 12 hours in. Been grinding up a bit to level up my familiars and make some money before I fight the boss on the boat again. I notice the higher level I am getting, the less retarded the AI acts. I still don't quite understand why if Swaine just upgraded his first familiar he gets and it's level 1, why is he busting him out rather than using my level 20 monkey that has already been updated once. Is there some secret? Do they go by priority and just throw out the first until time is up then the second and so on?
I just got the ability to fly... holy crap Final Fantasy needs to pay attention because this is how you do world maps in this generation of video games. As opposed to the Square Enix way of doing world maps these days, which is to not do them.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Platinum'd at 75 hours, 36 minutes. So that was pretty much 20 hours of grinding and fucking around to finish everything up after I did all of the quests post game except one, since I had 55 hours on the clock when I had everything but the last Alchemy quest left.

Still have 14 alchemy recipes left, but they require absolutely retarded levels of farming so I doubt I'll ever bother 100%'ing the alchemy book. There's still 50 familiars I haven't caught yet, not counting the rare gold ones I haven't managed to grab yet which is like another 24 including all of their forms. Might finish that up if I get bored enough.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Still on the fence about this. I just cant get amped for an RPG surrounding kids since i always find myself irritated as fuck by shit. Unless at some point during the adventure they grow up il likely take a pass on this.

I watched this

However it just doesnt seem to interest - i guess since ive only seen early levels but if anyone has something of them at higher lvls would be nice to see.
Yeah I liked what I saw of the monsters in combat, wish it could have just been them. Seeing the the little boy walking around whacking shit with a wand looked awkward and stupid.

Shoulda just been monsters imo, I'm not a big fan of playing little kids in games for w/e reason.

Needless

Toe Sucker
get a load of these Wakandans, are you not familiar with any of studio ghiblis movies?
look at every protagonist, ever.

Northerner

N00b
I'm still relatively early on in the overall game (time constraints and all that) but damned if I don't love this one.

It is quirky, definitely Japanese and has a certain tone that some may not like but still, best title I've played in years. I hope they make more in the same style.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I normally can't stand whiny little kids in JRPG's, but Oliver is one of the most likeable "kid" characters I've played in one of these types of games. He's a genuinely nice character and not the cry-baby I thought he would have been.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sean will platinum trophy this shit in a week.
Platinum'd at 75 hours, 36 minutes.
Dammit, Sean. You took 8 days
frown.png
Way to prove me wrong.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been a long week between driving my gf into Boston everyday at 4am, working full time and school full time. This weekend I am just playing my motherfucking video games.