Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

Tagline: George Orwell's Terrifying Vision Comes To The Screen.

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Michael Radford

Cast: John Hurt, Richard Burton, Suzanna Hamilton, Cyril Cusack, Gregor Fisher, James Walker, Andrew Wilde, David Cann, Peter Frye, Roger Lloyd Pack, David Trevena, Anthony Benson, Phyllis Logan, Garry Cooper, Rupert Baderman, Corinna Seddon, Martha Parsey, Merelina Kendall, P.J. Nicholas, Lynne Radford, Pip Donaghy, Shirley Stelfox, Janet Key, Hugh Walters, John Hughes, Robert Putt, Christine Hargreaves, Matthew Scurfield, John Golightly, Rolf Saxon, Ole Oldendorp, Eddie Stacey, Norman Bacon, John Foss, Carey Wilson, Mitzi McKenzie, Pam Gems, Joscik Barbarossa, John Boswall, Bob Flag, Keith Gale, Annie Lennox, Lucien Morgan, Michael Munn, Jason Savage, Fred Wood

Release: 1984-10-10

Runtime: 113

Plot: George Orwell's novel of a totalitarian future society in which a man whose daily work is rewriting history tries to rebel by falling in love.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Forgotten I'd seen this. And John Hurt is amazing, and what really sold V for Vendetta.

I also caught a live play of 1984 in London at the Playhouse Theater in 2015 that was fuckin' perfection.

Thanks for the link. Gonna get stoned and watch it again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Why make a movie when we can just reform society into the ultimate remake.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm reading this right now and have a book question.

Without spoiling, why were party members under more scrutiny than the proles?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have not read the book although I have lived in 2020 so the answer likely is people in the party are much more of a threat than proles so policing them more heavily makes sense. The proles have no power at all and easily controlled so why waste time policing them compared to those actually closer to some leavers of power.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
I have not read the book although I have lived in 2020 so the answer likely is people in the party are much more of a threat than proles so policing them more heavily makes sense. The proles have no power at all and easily controlled so why waste time policing them compared to those actually closer to some leavers of power.
One of the best short story books ever, Its an afternoon read. Highly recommend.

Sometimes they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, "Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to So-and-so." And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn't mean it. But that isn't true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there's no other way of saving yourself, and you're quite ready to save yourself that way. You WANT it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself.”
"All you care about is yourself," he echoed.
"And after that, you don't feel the same towards the other person any longer."
"No," he said, "you don't feel the same."

Edit: Fixed the quote where it had been cut off for some reason

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm reading this right now and have a book question.

Without spoiling, why were party members under more scrutiny than the proles?

I'm not doing spoiler seeing as the book came out when my granddad was in grammar school. You've all had enough time.

Anyway when I read the book it was my understanding that the party members had clerical jobs. Winston is, after all, engaged in government-mandated censorship of public documents.

Anyone you got editing public documents in a society where all information is controlled is naturally going to be scrutinized.

The proles are the manual laborers and soldiers. They don't get to touch the important things. They spend most of their time boozing and playing the lottery. Why worry about such peasants?

Then you can get into the whole idea of is the Airstrip One government really as powerful as they're made out to be? Or is their power more of a paper tiger? Perhaps this government doesn't really have the resources to bug the house of every single prole.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database