Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
My wii u was a big waste but I might be on board here. Everyone thinking of it as a new console is sure to disappointed. I am just considering it the 3ds successor that I can plug into the tv, which will hopefully follow the trend of a good rpg/strategy library like the nds/3ds has.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Animal Crossing on the NX would be beast, and a guarantee system seller for me

Siliconemelons

Nintendo is still financially stable right? still making money?

They seem to have adjusted their business model to survive/thrive on lower sales and most likely higher margins vs. what Sony and M$ do by throwing money at their systems always launching them at a fairly harsh loss.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
My wii u was a big waste but I might be on board here. Everyone thinking of it as a new console is sure to disappointed. I am just considering it the 3ds successor that I can plug into the tv, which will hopefully follow the trend of a good rpg/strategy library like the nds/3ds has.

So much this. Unfortunately, it is unable to be backwards compatible, but if they can retain the same classic/retro feel of games, then I am fully on board. I just hate playing on portables, I have tried every generation, and after the excitement wears off, I just abandon it. I can only play on TVs, and this will allow me to enjoy the classic styling of Nintendo's handheld games the way I like to play them.

spronk

FPS noob
Pokémon, Mario and Zelda headline NX 'dream' line-up

Gonna launch with Mario, Tetris, and Zelda - well, within six months of launch at least. Not really a surprise.

Not really a surprise either, but a bit disappointing:

article said:
It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one...It won't appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That's going to be a big job for the marketing department.
. And the power level is between a ps3 and ps4.

I just don't see how they convince anyone who only games on mobile/tablet to buy a seperate device and pay $40-60 for their games. It definitely sounds like there is pretty much no chance of third parties getting on board, except for the usual platform-agnostic games like Just Dance, Lego games, etc. You won't see GTA 6 or Battlefield 1 or Call of Duty on the NX.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully this is when console hardware Nintendo dies and we get software console Nintendo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

Gonna launch with Mario, Tetris, and Zelda - well, within six months of launch at least. Not really a surprise.

Not really a surprise either, but a bit disappointing:

I just don't see how they convince anyone who only games on mobile/tablet to buy a seperate device and pay $40-60 for their games. It definitely sounds like there is pretty much no chance of third parties getting on board, except for the usual platform-agnostic games like Just Dance, Lego games, etc. You won't see GTA 6 or Battlefield 1 or Call of Duty on the NX.

I take that to mean the Japanese market really. I honestly think the games will not be 60 bucks. I think they will fall more in line with the DS games, and that's what I am actually hoping for. This is really going to be a handheld that can be docked to a TV. Maybe I'm projecting my hopes on there, but lets face it, Nintendo has been far more successful in the handheld space than they have in traditional consoles for a while now, and they are just extending the handheld to the living room as well, instead of releasing a whole new system.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Not a new idea but I wish Nintendo would just stick with software and make updated versions of their signature titles, including a fucking remastered version of Super Metroid goddammit! I can appreciate the need to innovate but sometimes a new coat of paint is all I'm looking for.

Edit: LOL two posts above mine is just how old my idea is.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A substantially more powerful handheld system that also acts as a standard yet dated console when needed. I know there's a lot of doom and gloom, but handhelds have never exactly been a Nintendo weak point. Depending on how the unveiling goes and how they promote it in the media, it could be a fairly big deal. And ya'llz crazy if you don't think it's going to be profitable. It -will- have Pokemon games on it. It's basically a guaranteed 10m systems and games sold based on -one- game. (Technically 2, but that's how pokemon roll) Not to mention the people who play zelda, and mario, and smash brothers that don't overlap with that demographic. Or the back alley-deals that Nintendo got into with various major japanese publishers (atlus, SE, etc) for their games as well. I don't think they're going to see Wii success again (and they shouldn't, because the Wii was the "Pet Rock" of the mid 2000s) but until people stop buying their first party games as consistently as they do, Nintendo is probably going to keep making hardware.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I don't mind the concept of a strong portable if it's priced right. I saw someone suggesting naming it the Nintendo Go and I kinda like the sound of it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Taking bets on how long till Nintendo also gives up on the NX, after the WiiU debacle I'm just gonna wait and see.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think people are overlooking a lot of things. Nintendo's handhelds games and 3rd party support for their handhelds, is excellent. If you can condense that fanbase in to your console market you can grow it by a significant margin. Tack on all that third party support and you've got something exciting. From what's been said so far, it's supposed to be incredibly easy to develop for (unlike the Wii U) and a lot of third party developers are already officially on-board. If you had told me I could upscale my DS and play it in HD on my HDTV back in the day, I would have fucking loved that. My only gripe with Nintendo's handheld market was that I always HAD to play their games on a dinky little handheld. I for one am really looking forward to seeing what they do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if the price-point is great too.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Unless there making 2 versions of the same game, and doing some major fuckery with resolution on the Handheld versions, it's still gonna look like shit on a HDTV.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless there making 2 versions of the same game, and doing some major fuckery with resolution on the Handheld versions, it's still gonna look like shit on a HDTV.

It looks like that's exactly what they're doing. Design it with a high native resolution and then shrink it when you want to play it on the go. And, for anything that is being designed largely for handhold exclusively, it will be nice to have the ability to play it on a big screen. I'd have been so much happier if I could have played the DQ remakes on the big screen, even with aspect ratio and resolution issues.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

Would this be the same six months they told me I would get my Zelda on the Wii U? :)

Think I unpacked the Wii U and played Zombie U for 3 weeks then boxed it up again waiting for Zelda. Oh and the Zombie (U) port on the PS runs smoother so I play that "exclusive" on the PS4 now instead, still a decent game!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I will rather wait to see how it turns out instead of buying it early after the shit storm that was the WiiU(Abandoning after 8 months really?)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wii U was the first Nintendo system I didn't buy and I don't really feel I missed out. This will have to have something amazing to get me on board.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Monster Hunter, Fatal Frame 5, Xenoblade a few on the WiiU but that was it really, third party did pretty good vs the shit nintendo released