[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure how a Star Wars fan could dislike the Thrawn trilogy. Even the games provide some of the more interesting Star Wars stories. The EU is a thousand times greater than the movie universe so I don't see how you could hate it all.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
did we lose The Edge at some point? i woulda thought for sure he would be all over this new trailer.
Back on page 76, I said:

"When I saw the Spaceballs dude and the soccer ball droid I thought it was another fan made trailer. It just seemed like a joke. Trailer didn't do much for me."

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Books, toys, games, tech manuals. yeah, alot of info is not directly from the movies.
Like, Vaders star destroyer is named Executor. this is never said in the movies. only called "a super star destroyer".
AT-AT. AT-ST. never named in the movies iirc.
I don't think even X-wings, B-wings, or A-wings are even called as such. just star fighters.

the red Imperial guards. no lines, no names in the movies. it was in toys that they were identified, and given some background info.

This then begs the question of how much of this was made up for the toylines entirely, vs how much was part of a design doc, in the movies creation.

Much of the imperial navy was fleshed out for the Tie Fighter games as you might imagine. and again, how much of those games was based on actual tech specs or McQuarry designs is something that only the creators could answer.

I don't remember Troopers=clones either. but it could have easily been some tidbit of info, on a stormtrooper action figure box or something.
Tie fighters were not even called tie fighters until the 3rd movie. They just never bothered to name anything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tie Fighters were also terrible and retarded ships. Might as well be in a fucking rowboat for all the protection you had.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Wasn't that part of the premise, that they were cheaply made so they could cranked out in massive numbers in a short time? The rebels were generally considered to have superior ships and more highly skilled pilots, which offset their smaller numbers.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Wasn't that part of the premise, that they were cheaply made so they could cranked out in massive numbers in a short time? The rebels were generally considered to have superior ships and more highly skilled pilots, which offset their smaller numbers.
Yes. It's also quite evident when you can see several times in the old movies the X-Wings getting a few laser shots from a TIE fighter and not going down in flames (Wedge, Luke, etc...) while every TIE Fighter that gets hit by a laser immediately vaporizes.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yes. It's also quite evident when you can see several times in the old movies the X-Wings getting a few laser shots from a TIE fighter and not going down in flames (Wedge, Luke, etc...) while every TIE Fighter that gets hit by a laser immediately vaporizes.
Except vaders, which is obviously properly armored.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Except vaders, which is obviously properly armored.
Technically, Vader's "Custom TIE Advanced x 1" was never hit by a laser bolt, it was hit by another TIE fighter that bumped into it when the Millenium Falcon blew up a third TIE fighter in the trench.

That said, you're correct, Vader's fighter was more armored and could enter hyperspace. It was a prototype that was later developped into a new generation of TIE fighters, the ubiquitous TIE Interceptors in ROTJ.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Which is stupid.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
20141202-stwars.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like the empire was more of a juggernaut...Star Destroyers, infantry carriers, heavy artillery...an imperial/occupying force that was massive and powerful, yet bulky and slow. Rebels would have had to counter them with asymmetrical warfare. In comes the agile yet tough A, B, X, Y wings to dodge in and out of enemy defenses and wreak havoc. Tie Fighters were likely a response to the rebel tactics, previously the empire would have had little need for small scale ship-to-ship combat like that. Ties were described as short range when we were first introduced to one near the DS in EP4. They seemed built to outrun and outmaneuver the relatively heavier rebel bomber/attack squadrons in order to swarm out of Star Destroyers and battle stations and pick off the rebel attackers.

I'm half talking out of my ass here, not sure exactly what Wookiepeida and the EU say.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Which is stupid.
Maybe in some respects, but it also makes sense when you consider all the factors, which is the most important thing for me in considering how believable it is.. They're a huge empire without much in the way of resistance for a while. Numbers > individual effectiveness. The clone wars devastated the military powers, so they just pumped out a lot of shit fast.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
This. Manpower is a priority for the rebels. X wings are state of the art multi purpose fighters. Manpower is cheap (and cloned!) In the empire. Cheap fast and heavily gunned fighters make sense.

Of course 30 years later X wings should be as useful as Z95 headhunters...

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Which is stupid.
Zerg vs protoss. Complete philosophical difference in troop structure. I think xwing vs tie fighter mentioned that it wasn't a single xwing against a single tie fighter, it was one xwing against 3 ties. And in that scenario, the ties have the advantage.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tie Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers didn't even have shields in the PC games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Zerg vs protoss. Complete philosophical difference in troop structure. I think xwing vs tie fighter mentioned that it wasn't a single xwing against a single tie fighter, it was one xwing against 3 ties. And in that scenario, the ties have the advantage.
They don't.

I think anyone who hasn't beaten Tie Fighter should withhold themselves from this conversation.

Caliane

Tie fighters, like storm troopers are basically shown to be completely useless. Sadly the EU, did not correct this at all. Where they had the chance to actually create victories for them.
But, nah. Tie fighters get taken out with 1 shot, can't hyperdrive, have no offensive power either.
Conceptually, they are protoss Carriers+drones, using that comparison. They SHOULD be numerous, swarm, and take things out with concentrated fire. But, we never see that happen.

The mass production idea is weird. Considering, 2 death starts, star destroyers, super star destroyers... As stated, Imperial capital ships completely dwarfed Rebel cruisers.

Would have also made alot of sense if they were outright drones as well.

I don't remember what actually detailed why the Rebels had xwings, and seemingly vastly superior firepower in fighters. IIRC it was related to Antilles, and Orgena. was it books,comics or rogue squadron/xwingvs tiefighter?

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Tie fighters, like storm troopers are basically shown to be completely useless. Sadly the EU, did not correct this at all. Where they had the chance to actually create victories for them.
But, nah. Tie fighters get taken out with 1 shot, can't hyperdrive, have no offensive power either.
Conceptually, they are protoss Carriers+drones, using that comparison. They SHOULD be numerous, swarm, and take things out with concentrated fire. But, we never see that happen.

The mass production idea is weird. Considering, 2 death starts, star destroyers, super star destroyers... As stated, Imperial capital ships completely dwarfed Rebel cruisers.

Would have also made alot of sense if they were outright drones as well.

I don't remember what actually detailed why the Rebels had xwings, and seemingly vastly superior firepower in fighters. IIRC it was related to Antilles, and Orgena. was it books,comics or rogue squadron/xwingvs tiefighter?
Little chicken wire over their goddamn air vents and there would have been no issues.

!@#$% rebels....

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Technically, Vader's "Custom TIE Advanced x 1" was never hit by a laser bolt, it was hit by another TIE fighter that bumped into it when the Millenium Falcon blew up a third TIE fighter in the trench.

That said, you're correct, Vader's fighter was more armored and could enter hyperspace. It was a prototype that was later developped into a new generation of TIE fighters, the ubiquitous TIEInterceptorsin ROTJ.
Bzzt wrong. It was for the advanced not interceptor.