Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why isn't Bethesda suing the studio? They sued Notch the Minecraft creator for him using the name Scrolls for his game. This is just equally as bad offense.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Tom Cruise actively ruins my enjoyment of movies now.

Its not even just the scientology shit. He keeps getting these rolls, that I just can't take him seriously in. he has no business being an action star. and more so, he keeps getting these roles of mr perfect. its fucking bizarre. Look at Matt Damon in Bourne roles. 1000x more believable then Cruise in MI, Reacher, and that other one.
I would fucking pay twice to watch Bourn...I mean Matt Damon in any movie...

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
i'm pretty sure

There are no aliens, it was all a setup by "the man" aka corporations to destroy democracy, but Scientology in the end saves them all.

Looks like a watch-at-home movie. It is interesting what a big burst of 2013 scifi movies we are seeing in the last few weeks, hopefully that translates to more scifi shows on TV next fall.
Fucking fuckity fuck keep that Scientology shit out of my science fiction.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get the Cruise hate. He puts out good to great movies on a consistent basis. He is also an underrated actor. We need more actors like him. And he could worship by swimming in a pool of goats blood, doesn't have anything to do with the movie I'm watching.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't get the Cruise hate. He puts out good to great movies on a consistent basis. He is also an underrated actor. We need more actors like him. And he could worship by swimming in a pool of goats blood, doesn't have anything to do with the movie I'm watching.
I agree with you. He's a great actor. Him as Lestat in Interview with a Vampire was phenomenal!

I can't blame people for ragging on him for being in the religion for the crazy's though. You can't deny his talent as an actor despite that.

Szlia

The problem with Tom Cruise is that you know a chunk of the money you pay to watch the movie goes to scientology. An even bigger chunk when he is also producing the movie (Jack Reacher, M:I Ghost Protocol). I don't think anyone is disputing his acting skills.

Caliane

yes. I can totally see Tom Cruise as an effeminate gay vampire 18 years ago.
He played that part perfectly.

Hilariously, that is nearly his last good movie. I'll give him Jerry Maguire. I... don't think I have seen magnolia... I should remedy that. 100% due to the director.

Look at this list.

94 Interview.
96 mission impossible.
Jerry maquire, Eyes wide shut, Magnolia, MI:2, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, War of the worlds, MI:3, Lions for lambs, Tropic Thunder(which is just a joke), Valkyrie, Knight and Day, MI:4, Rock of Ages, Jake Reacher.

The movies are shit. The roles are shit. The acting is shit. Success purely on a bankable name. Which really, this guys name has got to be getting close to toxic.
(I think I heard MI4 was good)

khalid

Unelected Mod
94 Interview.
96 mission impossible.
Jerry maquire, Eyes wide shut, Magnolia, MI:2, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, War of the worlds, MI:3, Lions for lambs, Tropic Thunder(which is just a joke), Valkyrie, Knight and Day, MI:4, Rock of Ages, Jake Reacher.
(I think I heard MI4 was good)
You think that list is shit? Pretty much any actor would die to have such a list of movies he stared in. Look past his silly religious beliefs and evaluate the movies on their own merits.

Collateral was awesome. Minority Report was a great sci-fi movie. Valkyrie was good. All the MI movies were action schlock but at least good action shlock. Tropic Thunder was hilarious. He was great in War of the Worlds.

Yeah, I could do without Eyes wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Knight and Day and Last Samuri. Yet even in these movies he did a solid job and it wasn't his acting that was the problem for me.

Will definitely see this movie.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I hate Cruise just as much as the next guy, but half of those movies were pretty damn good despite his shitty acting. He did manage some good work in Collateral and Magnolia though.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This reacher movie is his first post-kate film. Tom cruise still makes good movies, but hes such a fucking asshole, it has to be an awesome movie for me to give it a shot.

Sterling

El Presidente
Hating on Last Samurai? Seriously though, while not all of his movies are masterpieces not many actors with that many movies can claim anything like that either.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
ah time for the Tom Cruise debate again

I like him, I also understand why people hate him, he's very easy to hate. His filmography is really A+ though and up until the last few years if he was in it, it was almost worth seeing. Even going back over the last ten years the only terrible films appear to be Knight & Day and Rock of Ages (which I didn't see). He's a very good actor when he needs to be though, I think the big complaint should be that he takes too many roles that don't demand a lot out of his acting chops because he's normally some over confident cool guy, but they're definitely there when he needs 'em (see: magnolia, vanilla sky, 4th of july, etc)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't really mind him in most things, the Reacher movie has me a bit bent out of shape though because Reacher is a huge fucking guy that uses his bulk and size to his advantage all the time. Now we're going to have him beating people up with quick little ninja moves, not hammer fists and shoulder blocks. I'm sure the movie will still be entertaining, but it would be like casting Tom Cruise for the role of Michael Clarke Duncan in his life story. Nothing at all about Cruise suggests the same guy, so they'll modify it to fit. Reacher shouldn't be modified, they should get a guy that can pick a 300 lb man up off the ground and throw him without the aid of wires.

Other than that specific role choice, I'm fine with Cruise doing pretty much any roles he wants. He almost always does a great job, even if the movie itself sucks balls.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
I enjoy his movies. Independence Day was great. I love it when he all punches that alien in the face in the desert. And then that other movie with the giant fucking robot spider. Good times, the 90's.

fucker_sl

shitlord
I enjoy his movies. Independence Day was great. I love it when he all punches that alien in the face in the desert. And then that other movie with the giant fucking robot spider. Good times, the 90's.
Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

Szlia

Even going back over the last ten years the only terrible films appear to be Knight & Day and Rock of Ages (which I didn't see).
Knight & Day is actually a pretty well done action-comedy movie. There is a slump in it where all comedy vanishes, but the rest is solid, if maybe a little old-school compared to the (pseudo)transgressive/regressive tone of current comedies. Rock of Ages is pretty terrible (it's supposed to be about how rebellious rock & roll is, and you have no drugs, characters who all want to form conventional family units and the music is the straight super lame musical fare... that even the antagonist uses... re-tar-ded), but Cruise is very good in it as the drunk and out-there rock superstar.