Oculus Rift

Column_sl

shitlord
Anyone test drive one of these things yet?

Was at a tech convention yesterday, so got to demo one of there dev kits.

1) the VR is amazing, really feels like you are in there
2) The hardware is fairly lightweight, think of a swimmers mask

Cons

1) super low resolution display. Objects in front of you are very sharp, but anything in the background is super pixelated, and blurry.

Rep said the retail versions will be HD displays at 1080p, and they have a test unit they demoed recently in Germany.

2) Motion Sickness - I had no motion sickness, but the girl next to me had it very badly

I got to try Hawken ( awesome). Half life 2, team fotress 2, as well as other tech demos

Was pretty damn impressed. Future of gaming? probly not, but can see something branching off of this in the future. Such as integration with Kinect where the camera tracks what your body is doing.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Q1 2016 street date, no price yet.... looks nice though
smile.png

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Oculus Half Moon.... okay, this is pretty damn cool. Oculus just nailed it if this works as shown... wow!

Terial

Trakanon Raider
yea, but that's with a PC, i have a good PC, i don't need another one
smile.png

need Rift price only, in box (rift, sensor, xbox controller)

Column_sl

shitlord
I cant wait till the disappointment that VR will bring to everyone by launching to many platforms way too early.

Shits not ready for another 5 years imo.

It's going to die with the Power glove, and the Kinect

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
yea, but that's with a PC, i have a good PC, i don't need another one
smile.png

need Rift price only, in box (rift, sensor, xbox controller)
I'm not watching but I'd bet it's in the same ballpark as both of their dev units have been, ~$350. Maybe 400 if they include a controller.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm not watching but I'd bet it's in the same ballpark as both of their dev units have been, ~$350. Maybe 400 if they include a controller.
dev kits are a bit pricey, guess we'll hopefully find out next week what the price point will be, but during the event today, they said the wireless xbox controller _is_ included with the headset.

spronk

FPS noob
To talk about the Oculus Rift. There is a thread in the tech section but I know a lot of people in other games don't visit that very often
Virtual Reality - RIFT PREORDERS WEDNESDAY!!

Oculus Rift is going on sale Jan 6th at 8am PST on their website. Price is not announced yet. It will include a free copy of Lucky's Tale and Eve: Valkyrie.
Blog - Oculus Rift Pre-Orders to Open on January 6

The competitors are going to be Steam's Vive, made by HTC and Project Morpheus, exclusively for PS4. Nothing solid yet for xbox one, although the fact that Rift ships with an xbone controller kinda suggest something going on there.

So who is in? If its under $500 I may buy a Rift, but i'm sorta on the fence...

spronk

FPS noob
Recommended specs for Rift on PC

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

I'm still not sure whats a better system, Vive or Rift for PC. Don't even honestly know the difference.

All my HDMI ports are taken too so dunno how much I'd have to rejigger shit. All in all this seems more like a pain in the ass than worth it - I'll need to buy a new PC, reconfigure my monitors to downscale from 3x to 2x maybe, etc.

Is there a killer VR game/app yet?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Why the hell haven't announced a price yet?
Cause apparently it's gonna be a lot more expensive than expected, and considering it was already expensive, I guess they don't want bad press before it starts, or whatever.

I don't really see a reason to buy this over the Vive before we know all the specs and prices of both tbh. Even then, I'm not sure it'll be worth buying first gen versus waiting a bit, seeing what you can use with them in terms of games/softwares, and seeing potential price drops and what not.

Also the PS4 Morpheus is getting Dead or Alive Extreme 3, so there's that.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Why the hell haven't announced a price yet?
Direct quote from Palmer:
This is standard practice in the consumer electronics industry. The price is almost always announced alongside preorders. Phones, game consoles, they all do it this way - it is kind of weird to see people thinking it is some kind of special sign about anything!

Personally I'm expecting around $400. I don't think the unit will be that much more expensive than the dev units but the CV will also come with an Xbox controller which will push up the price. I guess we'll find out Wednesday.

Semisus

Molten Core Raider
anyone tried it? wondering if theres any kickass games coming out with it.
thankfully my system is good enugh for the recommended specs for this.

spronk

FPS noob
i've tried all 3 systems and they are cool but sorta remind me of the wii motion / kinect / 3d movies stuff - cool when you try it, interesting after a few days, and then you just sorta lose interest and never bother again.

like any DK1/2 users still actually use their systems weekly? I tried the roller coaster game at the rift demo booths and it was fun but i'm not going to fucking play roller coaster simulator all the time