Official Apocalypse Strategies Thread [OAST] [NEAT]

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Welcome to OAST

Here we discuss living in a tangible worst-case apocalypse and the considerations needed to stay alive. First, let's define apocalypse. The power grid must be out, and not easily reinstated without large scale coordination. Satellites are permanently out. The human population is facing resource limitations en masse. Basically, something like an EMP + biological event that causes widespread and permanent disruption of utilities and crops, a viable scenario considering the instability of modern politics.

For example, you might think traveling by vehicle will be viable but all it takes is a steel cable tensioned across the road to create a raider trap. There are many such pitfalls. This type of trap can be scaled to any travel method. Anything faster than walking is dangerous in the apocalypse.

A lot of people think they can just hunt or fish, but our natural resources cannot support a significant portion of the population turning to wild resources. However there are options that are very high in calories if you can stomach them....in some parts of the US. Most of the midwest, however, is fucked in the winter.

There are aspects of an apocalypse that would greatly impose any actions one would take during daily scavenging. Using guns for hunting is going to draw attention immediately. To sum up, you likely won't be able to use motorized or fast transport. Fishing/hunting will not be viable. Using a firearm will get you killed. Using a radio CAN get you tracked, then killed. Most regions of the country cannot possible survive a winter.

So how do YOU and YOUR FAMILY survive this?

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Welcome to OAST

Here we discuss living in a tangible worst-case apocalypse and the considerations needed to stay alive. First, let's define apocalypse. The power grid must be out, and not easily reinstated without large scale coordination. Satellites are permanently out. The human population is facing resource limitations en masse. Basically, something like an EMP + biological event that causes widespread and permanent disruption of utilities and crops, a viable scenario considering the instability of modern politics.

For example, you might think traveling by vehicle will be viable but all it takes is a steel cable tensioned across the road to create a raider trap. There are many such pitfalls. This type of trap can be scaled to any travel method. Anything faster than walking is dangerous in the apocalypse.

A lot of people think they can just hunt or fish, but our natural resources cannot support a significant portion of the population turning to wild resources. However there are options that are very high in calories if you can stomach them....in some parts of the US. Most of the midwest, however, is fucked in the winter.

There are aspects of an apocalypse that would greatly impose any actions one would take during daily scavenging. Using guns for hunting is going to draw attention immediately. To sum up, you likely won't be able to use motorized or fast transport. Fishing/hunting will not be viable. Using a firearm will get you killed. Using a radio CAN get you tracked, then killed. Most regions of the country cannot possible survive a winter.

So how do YOU and YOUR FAMILY survive this?
Society would never collapse like this. Go read a book to find out why.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Society would never collapse like this. Go read a book to find out why.
Society would absolutely collapse under the terms I described. However whether or not its plausible is not the point of the thread although its the intent.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A lot of people think they can just hunt or fish, but our natural resources cannot support a significant portion of the population turning to wild resources.
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but keep in mind there would be a massive die off of the population. The wild resources wouldn't have to support our current population, only those who managed to survive long enough on whatever food, water, and medicine they have on hand when it happens. I think hunting and fishing would be somewhat viable. Fishing would probably take longer to dry up as long as the water doesn't get poisoned.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
As far as strategies. I intend to become the local warlord.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but keep in mind there would be a massive die off of the population. The wild resources wouldn't have to support our current population, only those who managed to survive long enough on whatever food, water, and medicine they have on hand when it happens. I think hunting and fishing would be somewhat viable. Fishing would probably take longer to dry up as long as the water doesn't get poisoned.
I agree, it's dynamic. Also I am not trying to be the final say, just discussing. The initial die off would be brutal and the hardest point.

Warlords are exactly why most strategies for surviving absolutely will not work.

• 1Like

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Society would absolutely collapse under the terms I described. Whether or not you think it's probable is not really relevant.
Humans carried on just fine for 99.9999999% of their existence in the conditions you described. Individual lives would be disrupted, not society itself. You preface “massive cooperation” as a barrier to restoring order, but “massive coordination “ is precisely what humans do when in trying times. Things would just be quickly restored and anyone trying seriously to be the new warlord would just be shot for getting in the way of this natural coordination.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I agree, it's dynamic. Also I am not trying to be the final say, just discussing. The initial die off would be brutal and the hardest point.

Warlords are exactly why most strategies for surviving absolutely will not work.

That's why one of the most important preps is to not live in a big city. Personally, I live too close to a big city. I'm not sure I'd survive something like a nuke being lobbed at the city. On the other hand, there's no particular reason to lob one at that city other than to kill people. There's no capitals, military assets, or major HQs there that I know of. But if it was a situation where the city just fell and people were fleeing, I'd probably wind up having to brain a lot of zombies.

• 1Like

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Humans carried on just fine for 99.9999999% of their existence in the conditions you described. Individual lives would be disrupted, not society itself. You preface “massive cooperation” as a barrier to restoring order, but “massive coordination “ is precisely what humans do when in trying times. Things would just be quickly restored and anyone trying seriously to be the new warlord would just be shot for getting in the way of this natural coordination.
I've often made that point in other circumstances but humans do not work well together during downturns. That is when wars break out.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
1. Location
Everyone within a 30 minute drive of a city (population of > 100,000) dies within a few months after the event. The stories of these people are brutal, full of rape and cannibalism, and short. So lets move on.

Be farther away from the hell zones.

2. Location part 2
Everyone whos house is visible from a main road dies within a year after the event. Similar stories, just longer, with more cannibalism. Lets move on.

Be in a house thats not visible from any major roads.

3. Hunker down
Wait there while 99% of the population kills each other in parts 1 and 2

Live on a combination of farm animals, hunting, and fishing. These will be hungry times. The goal during this stage is to encounter zero people from outside the group.

4. After a year or two, start re-forming small communities with the very few survivors left.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
1. Location
Everyone within a 30 minute drive of a city (population of > 100,000) dies within a few months after the event. The stories of these people are brutal, full of rape and cannibalism, and short. So lets move on.

2. Location part 2
Everyone whos house is visible from a main road dies within a year after the event. Similar stories, just longer, with more cannibalism. Lets move on.

3. Hunker down

Live on a combination of farm animals, hunting, and fishing. These will be hungry times. The goal during this stage is to encounter zero people from outside the group.

4. After a year or two, start re-forming small communities with the very few survivors left.
Love the break down but I think each phase deserves much more elaboration. Of course it boils down to "get to the middle of nowhere, where there's food" but that's borderline impossible if you're not already there.

If you're escaping a city, you're going to become a raider by definition. You WILL be the intruder. Half the population is urban, there will be a war. I don't know that it would necessarily be that quick because people may organize into urban vs rural resources. The rural areas will be at a disadvantage as they cannot group as easily.

Has anyone read the A. American survivalist books? I found them to be really good.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There is a big difference between an extinction level event - like The Road - or a major catastrophe

Truth is extinction level event you’re all fucked in the long term without some extremely advanced (and durable) technology and infrastructure

If something like Chixulub hit, you’re pretty much doomed

rectifryer

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is a big difference between an extinction level event - like The Road - or a major catastrophe

Truth is extinction level event you’re all fucked in the long term
99.999% of people, yes but humanity would persevere IMO. I think discussing how to be the .001% is extremely interesting.

Chris

Potato del Grande
1. Location

2. Location part 2

3. Hunker down

That's pretty insightful actually, never considered that there would be hordes of starving people murdering each other.

Most people in these scenarios, including myself, kinda assume the event will magically kill most people and you magically survive.

Hiding seems like the best strategy.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone read the A. American survivalist books? I found them to be really good.

It’s on my Kindle. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, I got to the part where he pulled out a Springfield XD and noped out. The Survivalist series by Arthur T. Bradley is good and the One Second After series is great. I really liked the first two and a half books from the Day By Day Armageddon series. It got fucking weird after it abandoned the single main character pov style, though.

Also, we already have a prepper thread.

Edit: Forgot the search function is still broken.