Official Math Thread

miscmath

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let's talk math in here. I'm sure many of you were probably STEM majors or may be currently math-curious.

• 1Triggered
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Make math interesting and we can talk about it.

The last interesting math thing I can remember was this directional speed dial lock. You move the center dial in 4 directions to open it. Can't remember the mathematical theory its based on, but IIRC there are an infinite number of possible combinations and also technically an infinite number of wrong combinations that will open it.

MLCOM_PROD_1500iDAST_01_Hero.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande

The last interesting math thing I can remember was this directional speed dial lock. You move the center dial in 4 directions to open it. Can't remember the mathematical theory its based on, but IIRC there are an infinite number of possible combinations and also technically an infinite number of wrong combinations that will open it.

That's 256 combinations the way you describe it.

miscmath

Lord Nagafen Raider

1. you can take apart a ball in 5 pieces. those pieces can be assebeled into two identical balls as the original.

2. eulers identity. completely different values independently discovered are involved into this equation e^(pi*i)+1=0 ("the most beautiful equation in mathematics")

3. no matter your beliefs there are an infinite number of things that are true that cannot be proved (Godel)

Last edited:

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
2. eulers identity. completely different values independently discovered are involved into this equation e^(pi*i)+1=0 ("the most beautiful equation in mathematics")

Eulers is boring. a^2+b^2=c^2 is much sexier. This is the closest I could find to a beautiful Euler's identity.
Euler%27s_identity_scarification%2C_3PiCon%2C_Springfield%2C_MA.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
It needs describing in a bit more detail then.
It fucked your mom while your dad watched.

Oh and also, technically wrong combinations can open it because it's mechanical. Every movement you do moves the gears by a certain amount. So for instance an up movement might be mimiced by 1000 left-right movements (not exactly but I can't recall any of the exact matches). So if your combination was simply up, then 1000 left rights will also open it. If it's up up, 1000 left rights will get the first up, but the next one won't be 1000 left rights. It can be cracked, but as far as I know it can only be cracked with a computer assist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It fucked your mom while your dad watched.

Oh and also, technically wrong combinations can open it because it's mechanical. Every movement you do moves the gears by a certain amount. So for instance an up movement might be mimiced by 1000 left-right movements (not exactly but I can't recall any of the exact matches). So if your combination was simply up, then 1000 left rights will also open it. If it's up up, 1000 left rights will get the first up, but the next one won't be 1000 left rights. It can be cracked, but as far as I know it can only be cracked with a computer assist.

or

alla and daniel bolt cutters GIF by America's Got Talent

• 1Worf

Cleveland

Golden Knight of the Realm

I don't know the math on it but I bet McNally would wreck that thing

surprisingly - most padlocks if secured to something pretty stable, you can twist a towel up really tight and get it through the shackle and a couple good tugs will pop them right open

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
surprisingly - most padlocks if secured to something pretty stable, you can twist a towel up really tight and get it through the shackle and a couple good tugs will pop them right open

Like this?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cleveland

Golden Knight of the Realm
Like this?

holy fuck that was hilarious

there is a locksmith on Instagram that is awesome showing how easy it is to open padlocks in various ways - i think he works with this guys sometimes, his is @mcnallyofficial

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Let's talk math in here. I'm sure many of you were probably STEM majors or may be currently math-curious.
How can math allow me to eat doritos while shitposting and not get cheese dust all over my mouse and keyboard?

WHERE IS YOUR MATH NOW?