Okidokeys Smart Lock

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Smart Locks with Smart Keys - OKIDOKEYS

Was thinking about getting this for my house. My kid's schools are literally 2-5 blocks away until highschool, and I like this as an easier way for them to unlock the doors (keys are still not easy for them, they are young). And also as a means for me to track when they are home once they start taking the bus/walking, if for whatever reason we aren't home immediately (emergencies and such).

Also just seems easier for giving access to grandparents and such to get into the house.

Only down side is I'd want one for the front and one for the back doors.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Your kids can't figure out keys, but they can use a smartphone to unlock the house? I must be missing something here.

Personally, I would welcome the help of grandparents.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Your kids can't figure out keys, but they can use a smartphone to unlock the house? I must be missing something here.

Personally, I would welcome the help of grandparents.
Did you bother to read the link?

I could give my kids one of the bracelets, they wave it in front of the sensor and the door unlocks.

I said it would be easier to give the grandparents access, they both use smart phones. And I honestly don't think they have keys to my house at the moment.

Although it is funny...my kids both have Nexus 7 tablets and are very good at using them. My door locks are a bit sticky at times and they just have a hard time with it. So yes, they are better at electronics than keys right now.

Welcome to the new world.

But thanks for nothing tool.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Wonderful idiot replies here.

This is a pretty sweet system. They seem pretty reasonably priced too. I wonder if they'll notify you if a lock gets jammed or anything? I know doors can get screwed up over time and you have to do all sorts of finagling to get them to lock.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Tried out the Kwikset Bluetooth equivalent and wasn't impressed, though that certainly doesn't mean that this manufacturer didn't get it right. Personally, I'd suggest you just get a $120 code/key based Schlage lock that allows for multiple programmable codes (what I got). Sure, it doesn't have an IPhone app or bracelets, but it does what it needs to do-- bypass the need for a key and allows for disposable codes for maids, dog walkers, etc. It also just uses the battery to release the deadbolt, you still have to turn it, so you don't have to worry about the bolt getting stuck.. The apps, bracelets, Bluetooth is cool and all in the Kwikset/okidokeys, but I feel one is introducing unneeded complexity for very limited added benefit.

Siliconemelons

Kids misplace shit they do not care about all the time, wallets, keys, watches and other stuff- deffinatly if they are not used to having these things with them all the time. Go find a kid that has never worn a watch and give him one- it will be misplaced within a week- same for keys- kids dont carry keys around with them until a certian age, and when it is new and not part of their daily process its very likely to get lost... now cell phones... those are more and more becoming a thing that kids get even before wallets keys watches etc- it becomes part of the "stuff" they keep on them at all times and are less likely to misplace it.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Really? I never lost a key or watch growing up. I also find it a bit odd that they're old enough to come home alone but not old enough to deal with a lock?

My real concern with this type of device - what happens when the power is out or batteries die? Is your deadbolt essentially stuck from the outside?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've never used the Okidokeys brand, so I can't really comment on the quality or anything, but the Schlage stuff Frenzied Wombat mentioned are top notch. The residential line of that stuff is pretty nice, all things considered (commercial is even better, but a lot more expensive). If your kids can remember a 4-digit code, that is probably what I would buy. Not to mention, Schlage isn't going anywhere. I know nothing about Okidokeys, but I'd feel pretty confident about Schlage being around 50 years from now in case you need parts, upgrades, etc.

EDIT: To answer the concerns in the post above, I can only speak for the Schlage one, but I assume the Okidokeys one has similar "fallback" options. The Schlage one will notify you several weeks (or months, depending upon your usage) before the battery dies, so you should have plenty of time to change it out. If for some reason you don't, there is always a key that can be used on it no matter what the status of the battery. So you're never just locked out.

There are also some brands that operate on the energy generated by depressing the lever, but those are typically commercial applications. If there is a residential one like that, I'm not aware of it, but there could be. Those are my favorite, but they won't necessarily be as "pretty" as the residential ones. And they'll be much, much more expensive. But if you're worried about power loss for whatever reason, you can just press the lever down several times and now the lock will have enough energy to operate again, so it is never just "dead."

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's full on trolling to say "wtf, your kids don't know how to use keys?". Kids lose keys all the time; even the most responsible are sure to misplace them at least once.. Hell, even adults freaking lose keys all the time. Though I got mine because I was tired of re-keying the lock each time I had a new gf, maid, or dog walker, I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat getting an electronic lock if I had kids. Plus, for all us guys who don't tote a murse, imho anything that reduces my keychain size profile and consequently liberates my pant pocket capacity is a + in my book.