Oklahoma

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If one had to move for work. Within about an hour of tulsa or okc. Anyone familiar enough to recommend areas? Basically going to look semi rural here in a year. Need a decent road for bike/nice car, but otherwise really jist want a modest house and a big garage for vehicles.
Added bonus is decent budget from inflated CO house value, albeit I dont want to spend it all on a redneck mansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Man you get about 20 or 30 minutes outside of town you can find a decent plot of land to slap down any number of giant sheds for vehicles, weed, mexicans, you name it, almost anywhere.

Of course there are various suburbs of varying quality as well, lot depends on the feel of the place or if you're more interested in not having too many close neighbors, also if it's Tulsa or OKC, both are very different towns.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm in the southwest corner so I dunno those strange folk of the north. Wildlings beyond the wall and such.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If one had to move for work. Within about an hour of tulsa or okc. Anyone familiar enough to recommend areas? Basically going to look semi rural here in a year. Need a decent road for bike/nice car, but otherwise really jist want a modest house and a big garage for vehicles.
Added bonus is decent budget from inflated CO house value, albeit I dont want to spend it all on a redneck mansion.

I lived in OKC suburbs for most of my life. I dont much about Tulsa but look into Choctaw for West of the OKC metro, Youkon for East of it, and Guthrie to the North. South is going to be Blanchard, Noble, or Purcell. All of them are within 30 miles/minutes of larger towns. Bonus is that the East/West ones are off of I-40 and the North/South ones are off of I-35 so getting around is easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Man you get about 20 or 30 minutes outside of town you can find a decent plot of land to slap down any number of giant sheds for vehicles, weed, mexicans, you name it, almost anywhere.

Of course there are various suburbs of varying quality as well, lot depends on the feel of the place or if you're more interested in not having too many close neighbors, also if it's Tulsa or OKC, both are very different towns.
Certainly will be looking for a modest plot that is accessible but private with room for many vehicles. Done with suburbia, plus I'm sure more expensive.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hit me up when you get here, I can show you some great driving roads between Edmond (my area) and Tulsa.

Honestly I’d prefer Tulsa… it’s a little more affordable, a little smaller but quite a bit prettier. Close to lakes, green, lots of fun winding roads and much hillier generally. Both are served by clean small airports. OKC is much more “city” and probably had more to do… both have a good array of restaurants (finally!) and the people here are generally great. Oklahoma in general kind of has a feeling like the last stop on the America demise tour vibe right now and I’ve never felt better about living here.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My dude above hasn't lived in OK for long enough that he mangled the directions.

Choctaw is East of the OKC metro by about 20 min by highway and is a great place to find land with no HOA monsters. Internet situation is dicey there, though. Yukon and Mustang are West by approximately the same distance but are moderately more suburbanized and so you'd have a bit harder time finding a place that is free of nosey HOA types.

Moore is directly South of OKC and is a really great place to settle down on some land with some me laid back people. The only thing you worry about there is the tornado path that has been run through it.

Norman is 20-30 min South of OKC and is worth avoiding completely as it is a liberal shit hole getting worse by the year and is compounded by the university making the traffic unbearable during the school year.

Edmond is 20 min North of the OKC metro and is the swanky, rich portion of the OKC suburbs. Amazingly it is probably 60 percent conservative because it is the city of choice for rich conservative families, so it is way better than Norman or Tulsa in that regard.

Those are the bigger cities, you've got a whole lot of smaller towns all over that have considerably less restrictions on land and building but they lack convenient access to infrastructure. It all depends on how you intend to live.

• 2Like

Sludig

Hit me up when you get here, I can show you some great driving roads between Edmond (my area) and Tulsa.

Honestly I’d prefer Tulsa… it’s a little more affordable, a little smaller but quite a bit prettier. Close to lakes, green, lots of fun winding roads and much hillier generally. Both are served by clean small airports. OKC is much more “city” and probably had more to do… both have a good array of restaurants (finally!) and the people here are generally great. Oklahoma in general kind of has a feeling like the last stop on the America demise tour vibe right now and I’ve never felt better about living here.
Yeap, some of that last part is why it's on my list outside of the job opportunity.

I need to map out where all the various fed buildings are, give me an idea where I'll need to be.

How's the bbq. Hoping i don't miss out over Texas. I think ok has braums, what about heb and other more famous things I don't have here out west.

Sludig

My dude above hasn't lived in OK for long enough that he mangled the directions.

Choctaw is East of the OKC metro by about 20 min by highway and is a great place to find land with no HOA monsters. Internet situation is dicey there, though. Yukon and Mustang are West by approximately the same distance but are moderately more suburbanized and so you'd have a bit harder time finding a place that is free of nosey HOA types.

Moore is directly South of OKC and is a really great place to settle down on some land with some me laid back people. The only thing you worry about there is the tornado path that has been run through it.

Norman is 20-30 min South of OKC and is worth avoiding completely as it is a liberal shit hole getting worse by the year and is compounded by the university making the traffic unbearable during the school year.

Edmond is 20 min North of the OKC metro and is the swanky, rich portion of the OKC suburbs. Amazingly it is probably 60 percent conservative because it is the city of choice for rich conservative families, so it is way better than Norman or Tulsa in that regard.

Those are the bigger cities, you've got a whole lot of smaller towns all over that have considerably less restrictions on land and building but they lack convenient access to infrastructure. It all depends on how you intend to live.
Internet was a fear. Propane and septic not a deal breaker, but hopefully can get decent gaming internet. Or maybe we'll be a way to break me out of an addiction and be more productive.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeap, some of that last part is why it's on my list outside of the job opportunity.

I need to map out where all the various fed buildings are, give me an idea where I'll need to be.

How's the bbq. Hoping i don't miss out over Texas. I think ok has braums, what about heb and other more famous things I don't have here out west.
Braums and Sonic are both OK institutions. We have Crest which is to me better than HEB. We typically shop at Trader Joes, Crest and super Target, Fed stuff is almost all in OKC I reckon.

Clark Crew BBQ in OKC has genuinely world class bbq, rivalling anything I’ve had in Texas (I’m from ft worth originally).

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Anyone tried Starlink? A friend loves it but he's in Vermont. I fear we are too far south.

Per mbit we probably have one of the most expensive connexions in the world here in the sw corner. (12 mbit for 100 a month)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone tried Starlink? A friend loves it but he's in Vermont. I fear we are too far south.

Per mbit we probably have one of the most expensive connexions in the world here in the sw corner. (12 mbit for 100 a month)
You down in Altus or something? My old neighbors in Ft Worth were both from Mangum (small world)

LiquidDeath

Internet was a fear. Propane and septic not a deal breaker, but hopefully can get decent gaming internet. Or maybe we'll be a way to break me out of an addiction and be more productive.
I'd just check any potential properties against OEC co-op first. They have a nice small-time fiber operation going that touches a lot of the more rural parts of central Oklahoma. After that it is AT&T fiber then Cox high-speed cable. I have AT&T here in Edmond and it is fucking great. Cox is fine if you have to, but I'd go for fiber if you can get it.

• 1Like

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Aaaaalll my favorite Okies comin over toniiiiiight....

Can't believe how many Edmondites are here. Anyone go to the Walmart by I35 today? I would have waved!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Aaaaalll my favorite Okies comin over toniiiiiight....

Can't believe how many Edmondites are here. Anyone go to the Walmart by I35 today? I would have waved!
I was at that chick fil a yesterday my bro

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

I've lived here for nearly 40 years and every year I feel better and better about the prospect of staying longer. Only places that I would even consider going are Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Dude, we got weed. Until I retire to Florida, Edmond or nearby is my jam.

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone in the Tulsa or OKC area know if there are any good cancer clinics? That's the one thing holding us back from seriously considering OK for a move. Curse generic disorders!