OLED TVs

Sean_sl

shitlord
are these things gonna be as good as they're being hyped to be?
I think it depends on what you're looking for. There's high end displays you can buy with near perfect color accuracy and image quality as is. So OLEDs aren't some big jump there. OLEDs are really mostly about their form-factor at this point and having something paper thin. They also take less power to run and reportedly have super fast response times and better refresh rates. Most good TVs are at points where those things don't really matter a whole lot anymore though (except huge Plasmas still take a good bit more power, if you really give a shit about being "green").

Plus OLEDs are still prohibitively expensive.

http://www.oled-info.com/oled-tv

They are the "future" so to speak, but they're really mostly about their size and weight and making tech around that.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Until we have more models on the market it's hard to say how of an upgrade they'd be compared to current high-end LCDs but the biggest improvements would be in contrast and response time (ghosting). There are no TV's / monitors with under 5ms black-white-black response time and only plasmas / CRT's are close to the contrast an oled can offer. Not to mention shit like flexible/transparent displays.

They really are the future and in 10 years you'll pay 200$ for a 8k 32" OLED just like the 23" 1080 TN's from today or the 17" 1280x1024 CRT's from 10 years ago.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Energy costs on Plasma's are a non factor. The sticker on my 50 inch said it was less than 30 bucks a year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
don't they also have wider color gamuts, wider viewing angles, the ability to dim each pixel individually, ridiculous response times that should finally bridge the gap between TVs and monitors?

seems like you guys are short selling it a bit.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
Have you used an OLED cellphone or a PS Vita? It looks quite a bit better than LCD in every way.

The problem is public perception. I don't think people will be able to tell much of a diff at Best Buys, and currently OLED costs much more to make, AND LCD tech is still advancing. Eventually I think OLED will be cheaper, but it probably won't take off until another 3-4 years if at all. I really hope it takes off because I'm a long time supporter.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I thought they were having problems with life of certain colors in OLEID technology? From what I recall OLEID is nothing more than organic light emitting diode, which means that instead of having a need for a back light in LCD, these things pixels light up individually. But some of the pixel colors they were having a hard time with lasting as long as the others? Or some shit like that. So for a cell phone this is not really a problem since they are pretty much 2-3 yr products. But for TVs that have to have a 10+ yr or 100,000 hr run cycle like current LCD and Plasma tech, this might not be the tech.

Edit: Here we go...

"The problems that have kept OLED tech out of mainstream panels to date, such as short diode lifespans (particularly a problem for blue OLEDs), high manufacturing costs, and the potential for screen burn-in continue to stymie attempts to increase panel sizes."

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...cal-pipe-dream

"Current OLED technology has the Blue OLEDs reducing to half brightness the fastest at around 14,000 hours or five years at eight hours a day. Compared to LCD and plasma which will fall to half brightness after roughly 25,000 to 40,000 hours, there's quite a difference. LG couldn't confirm at the time of writing if this issue has been addressed."

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...ially-unveiled

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Even if thats true, I would not be looking at this tech untill its more widespread, cost reduced, and proven in larger panels that need to last a bit longer than handheld divices.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I don't understand why they're pushing for the TV market where they require much larger diagonals and not go for the PC monitor market first starting with graphic designers and shit (a professional 10bit monitor from Eizo is like 2000$) that will then trickle down to the plebes in time as technology develops.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I don't see these being able to compete with high end, big screen TVs in price/performance for quite a long time - especially Plasmas. Response time is low enough even on my Phillips that I have never noticed it no matter what has been hooked up to it, I don't think that's really an issue anymore.

So that brings it down to Image Quality of OLED Vs High End Plasma, which isn't some vast gulf like OLED Vs LCD, right?

So that basically just leaves form-factor.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I don't see these being able to compete with high end, big screen TVs in price/performance for quite a long time - especially Plasmas. Response time is low enough even on my Phillips that I have never noticed it no matter what has been hooked up to it, I don't think that's really an issue anymore.

So that brings it down to Image Quality of OLED Vs High End Plasma, which isn't some vast gulf like OLED Vs LCD, right?

So that basically just leaves form-factor.
I can assure you response time is noticeable on any LCD. Just swipe your mouse across the screen and look at the shadows. You don't get that on CRTs and OLEDs.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Your reading comprehension bad enough that you don't realize he's comparing OLED to Plasma and not LED?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what about 4k resolution? any chance the next batch of consoles will support it?

Sean_sl

shitlord
what about 4k resolution? any chance the next batch of consoles will support it?
The PS4 will likely support it (though no games will actually use it, only certain Blu-ray releases), but it's pretty much meaningless due to viewing distances and visual acuity.

This chart is close enough to accurate to see why:

dupAc.jpg

dupAc.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
I can assure you response time is noticeable on any LCD. Just swipe your mouse across the screen and look at the shadows. You don't get that on CRTs and OLEDs.
I was talking about Plasmas, mainly. Moving your mouse back and forth really fast is not an indication of actual game performance either. Unless you have somereallyshitty TV/Monitor the response time stuff is a non-issue while playing video games. I have never once noticed ghosting or after images or stuff not happening right as I pressed a button in games onanyof my displays. I've never used an extremely shitty LCD though, I went right from a high end CRT to an expensive NEC IPS Monitor the first time I made the jump.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, didn't notice the plasma part but you're talking about 2 different things. Response time is the time it takes a pixel to go black-white-black, input lag is the time delay from when the signal is received until is actually displayed. The response time generates the cursor shadows, the input lag generates the lag between button press and stuff happening on screen.

Lots of useful info herehttp://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htmand herehttp://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

I should mention that my points of view are from a PC connected TV and fps games and shit, no consoles.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My LG LED has some pretty noticeable input (mouse) lag if you have local dimming turned on which is a bummer because the picture looks so much better with it enabled :/

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I have my HDTV connected to my PC via HDMI as a second monitor too. I rarely play PC FPS games (usually just stuff like Halo or Third Person Shooters on consoles, also Far Cry 3 recently), but did play both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 on it on PC and I never noticed any of that either. Input lag is pretty non-existent anymore and I don't notice the Response time black-white-black stuff at all.

I've never used a LED set though.

According to the documentation, the TV has a 5ms Response time and the Monitor a 6ms Response time, for reference.

aarkh_sl

shitlord
Afaik the big thing with OLEDs should be that there's no backlight, so black will actually be black. Since every pixel is its own light source, brightness can be controlled very precisely for every pixel which should at least in theory look pretty damn good.

Plasmas and LED TVs are pretty good already, but computer displays tend to have really poor black levels because they don't have all the fancy filters which TVs use to prevent backlight bleeding. Not sure if they'll be worth it for TVs for a while, but I'm very interested in OLED PC displays, particularly for laptops, since that's what I mostly watch movies on.