Olympics Thread

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
US Beats Swiss 9-0 in Olympic Women's Hockey - ABC News

U.S. forward Amanda Kessel appeared to score for her first Olympic hat trick, only to watch the referee skate over to the boards for a video review.

Oh, the puck was in the net all right.

But the ref had missed a goal by Kendall Coyne a few minutes earlier, so that one counted and Kessel's had to come off the board.

"It was pretty weird, but I saw Kendall's goal go in," Kessel said after settling for two scores in the Americans' 9-0 victory over Switzerland on Monday. "It was her first one of the tournament, so I was happy for my linemate."

The Americans had more goals than they needed, anyway, getting scores from Monique Lamoureux, Brianna Decker and Kessel within 55 seconds of each other in the first period to all but clinch a spot in the Olympic women's hockey semifinals. It was the quickest three-goal sequence in Olympic history, with the latst two coming just eight seconds apart.

Kessel also had an assist on Coyne's goal and another in the first period. Asked by a reporter to describe her goals, Kessel said: "I can't really remember them all."

Lamoureux and Coyne also scored twice for the Americans, and Molly Schaus made 10 saves in her Sochi debut. With a 2-0 record, the U.S. is in position for a spot in the medal round regardless of what happens on Wednesday in the game against Canada, the marquee matchup of the round-robin.

Canada was scheduled to play Finland on Monday night in its last tuneup before the North American grudge match.

Switzerland lost for the second time and likely is headed for a spot in the quarterfinals against one of the top two teams in the bottom-tier.

Hilary Knight and Alex Carpenter also scored for the United States, which led 5-0 after one period and outshot the Swiss 53-10. Florence Schelling, who played at Northeastern, made 44 saves for Switzerland against Schaus, of Boston College, on the morning of the Beanpot finals where their schools will play for the men's hockey bragging rights of Boston.

"We know we're going to get lots of shots and goals against us, but we'll tell each other let's just keep going no matter what the score is," Swiss forward Jessica Lutz said. "They got five goals early on, but after that we stuck with it. They didn't have goals for a while. That's success for us."

The biggest mismatch so far in the women's hockey round-robin was scoreless for half a period before Lamoureaux gave the Americans the lead and Decker added one 47 seconds later. Kessel got the puck off the ensuing faceoff, skated into the zone on the left side, passed the puck to herself off the boards to get around a defender and then cut in front of the net, where she beat Schelling.

"I've been watching them do that all year," said Schaus, who was the backup for the first game and didn't see much action in this one, either.

Coach Katey Stone said Schaus did her job, and that's all they asked of her.

"We're happy to have her not have a lot of shots whenever possible," Stone said. "Because that means everyone is doing their job in front of her, too."

Lamoreaux made it 6-0 in the second period. Coyne, another product of Northeastern, put a shot past her former teammate and raised her hands to celebrate. The goal judge turned on the red light, but the referees signaled for play to continue.

The play was almost an afterthought by the time Kessel put the puck in the net a few minutes later and the referees went to check on it. After video review, Coyne's goal was verified and the time was put back on the clock, negating Kessel's apparent score.

Kessel was OK with it, and that made Stone happy as well.

"It's just one more reason why you love to coach these kids. They're unbelievably selfless," she said, noting that Coyne also went to Northeastern. "Kendall was working hard to get one in there against her former teammate and she did. It's just a testament to them: It doesn't matter who puts the puck in the net, it's making sure that we recognize the effort all the way around."
'Murica

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's the winter olympics, so there's a good chance Canada actually will come out on top. Trend seems to be US, Germany, and Canada.
Canada's only done well in the Winter Olympics since 2010 (or 2006 I guess, a lot less golds though). Prior to that, we performed quite poorly given the nature of the sports and the size of the country and funding:Canada at the Winter Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it's good to see that we're doing well again.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I always root for Canada and Australia. Really all of the British colonies. South Africa, India, Ireland, all of 'em. We're the 'A'-Team of the world! (America is Murdock)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been meaning to ask this. WTF is up with Costa's eye? One looks fucked up. I can hardly stand the guy so maybe his eye is normally fucked up but looks like he has pink eye after catching a bad load from an infected cock with his face.
Yeah wow, haven't had a chance to watch until just now but holy Christ. I'd feel more comfortable watching Stuart Scott than Costas at this point.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
It's the winter olympics, so there's a good chance Canada actually will come out on top. Trend seems to be US, Germany, and Canada.
So far so good.
smile.png
We got serious 'bout all that snow stuff when we got the 2010 games. I managed to see one long-distance skiing event up near Whistler. It was a bit drizzly, but well worth the trip. (I live in Vancouver, so it was just a day-trip)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Looks like there are some issues in the halfpipe event, it's just not cold enough.

*edit* they're delaying the second heat (with Shaun White) while they inspect the pipe. I'm not sure what they can do about it at this stage - postpone it? The people who had to go with it and failed in the first heat might not be happy about that.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The American ladies are keeping the ship afloat. They are awesome. And American is equally as awesome for giving all it's citizens equal opportunities at all levels and phases of life. 'Murica fuckya.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There's some really dumb events in the winter olympics (summer has a few also). Bobsledding.. luge/skeleton.. curling.. ski jumping.. who gives a fuck about any of them. These 'sports' are almost completely inaccessible to the average person. I think there are only 2 places in the entire US where bobsled/luge tracks even exist.. and it's not like you can just go there whenever you want to try it out.

I watched the luge (aka sledding) a bit the other night and after the first 5 seconds, they lie virtually completely motionless for the rest of the event. I watched like 10 guys go down the track and every single one of them looked identical. While I can appreciate the speed and I guess the danger of it, I don't really consider any of the people doing those events to be 'athletes'. I almost felt like I was watching a youtube video of people planking around the office.. except they were lying on their backs.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I love all the sports you mentioned. I'm part of a curling league, and I've gone down in a bobsled. I don't watch Olympic sports because they're accessible, I watch them because they're exceptional. I'd love for you to get on a luge and lie completely still and go down the track. If you didn't die, you'd certainly break something. There are incredible amounts of skill involved, and these are people going down hills on solid ice tracks at remarkable speeds.

Just because you're unfamiliar with sports from the games doesn't mean the rest of the world shares your view. For example, I find curling rather exciting to watch. There's about a million times more action in curling than there is in baseball. At least, in my opinion.

I love the Olympics.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Screw the Olympics for putting every show on hiatus. I need some archer

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Dude flies down a tube of ice at 80 mph on a board bolted to a pair of blades and you can't enjoy it? Need a grumpy cat up in hurr.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dude flies down a tube of ice at 80 mph on a board bolted to a pair of blades and you can't enjoy it? Need a grumpy cat up in hurr.
Even better when it's two dudes. Personally I look forward to doubles skeleluge. It'll just be two dudes 69'ing the whole way down the track.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Also, while I agree that any judged sport is pretty ridiculous, I love watching the mogul skiers. As someone who love to ski moguls, and might accidently even get some air every once in a while, athletically what those guys and gals can do is absolutely insane.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also, while I agree that any judged sport is pretty ridiculous, I love watching the mogul skiers. As someone who love to ski moguls, and might accidently even get some air every once in a while, athletically what those guys and gals can do is absolutely insane.
Agreed. But the regimented nature of the aerials really detracts from what the sport could have become. So instead we now have slopestyle and shit like that. I mean how fucking awesome would it be to watch two skiers ripping down the course, launching 720's with sweet grabs and the like side by side?

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
How is the female US Olympic team like the only team without at least one hottie on it? Debbie McCormick can die in a fire too. Her team is stinking up another Olympics.
I'm curious as to why the hate for Debbie McCormick? I've only curled for a couple of years now, she's been at a few of the bonspiels I've gone to and she's fun to be around.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
US girls got their shit pushed in by Britain today. Gave up a 7 point round for fuck's sake. You could blindly throw the stones straight as hard as possible and not end up that bad.