Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
A lot of Tarantino's violence is too silly for me when he gets carried away. The only movie were he goes ham with it, and I actually still liked the movie enough to watch it more than once was Dusk till Dawn, probably because I saw it as a teen. If the rest of the movie is great, it makes up for it, but the rest of this movie is nothing special.

For example, my favorite movies from him are Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. Pulp Fiction had one of the best story & dialogs ever put to film and Jackie Brown was almost all built on the same formula with even less violence needed.
Fair enough I guess, I assume you disliked Inglorious Basterds as well?

Burns

Fair enough I guess, I assume you disliked Inglorious Basterds as well?
I liked Inglorious Basterds because I thought the writing and story were far superior to this movie (or Kill Bill). I put it middle of the pack for his work, but I have only watched it once.

spronk

FPS noob
this is a movie where you probably REALLY need to enjoy and know more about old 50s-70s Hollywood to really love it. I didn't love it the single time I saw it in theaters but it was entertaining enough.

I think if I went through a binge mode of all the older movies Tarantino clearly loved before OUAT i'd enjoy it a lot more, and some day I will. In fact i even have the 10 movies he suggests watching before bookmarked. I don't think I've seen (or even heard most of) a single one of these old movies, even Easy Rider I don't think I've watched from start to finish.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this is a movie where you probably REALLY need to enjoy and know more about old 50s-70s Hollywood to really love it. I didn't love it the single time I saw it in theaters but it was entertaining enough.

I think if I went through a binge mode of all the older movies Tarantino clearly loved before OUAT i'd enjoy it a lot more, and some day I will. In fact i even have the 10 movies he suggests watching before bookmarked. I don't think I've seen (or even heard most of) a single one of these old movies, even Easy Rider I don't think I've watched from start to finish.

i saw that bob and carroll movie. its fucking boring, never heard of the others with exception of Easy Rider which you should watch just for Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper. you dont need to watch other films for this one to make sense. its a very simple story. Leo is losing his mojo and he needs to reinvent himself. his stuntman is in a worse situation than him, but he's a cool motherfucker so he abides. and there is this strange group of hippie girls seen through different parts of the flick. the brunette hitchhiker is cute as fuck.
the crazy as fuck chick playing "Sadie" looks and acted just like a chick i tried to pick up in high school. she was into metal which was rare in my school, but she was actually praying to Satan unironically. still i went for it, but she shot me down. :/

lol, thats so her.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i saw that bob and carroll movie. its fucking boring, never heard of the others with exception of Easy Rider which you should watch just for Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper. you dont need to watch other films for this one to make sense. its a very simple story. Leo is losing his mojo and he needs to reinvent himself. his stuntman is in a worse situation than him, but he's a cool motherfucker so he abides. and there is this strange group of hippie girls seen through different parts of the flick. the brunette hitchhiker is cute as fuck.
the crazy as fuck chick playing "Sadie" looks and acted just like a chick i tried to pick up in high school. she was into metal which was rare in my school, but she was actually praying to Satan unironically. still i went for it, but she shot me down. :/

lol, thats so her.

The Wrecking Crew is a Matt Helm (Dean Martin) spy film. If you liked the Matt Helm movies from the 60's its fun.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I had the opposite reaction.

I forgot why I never watched this movie when it came out, then saw this thread bumped back in April, which then made me decide to watch it. Going into it blind (outside of the last two pages about Lee), I found most of the movie to plod along like an average Tarantino movie, but it certainly wasn't special. I didn't even figure out it was about Manson's people until 2/3 of the movie was done, but then the retarded end happened and ruined it all; making it feel like some self insert Hollywood up it's own ass, auto fellatio mess.

I find Tarantino is at his worst when he does his stupid gore shtick verses his good/great dialog. So, if I were to rank this movie among all his movies, I would put it third from the bottom, better than Grindhouse and Death Proof (which I absolutely hate), but worse than Kill Bill.
How old are you out of curiosity?

The fact you didn’t understand this was about the Manson family that far in makes me wonder if you’re too young to find it culturally relevant.

Or maybe regardless of your age you don’t have much interest in the era (all good either way! Not saying this in a negative sense.)

The ending was amazing.

I just can’t imagine anyone with some knowledge of Manson whatsoever didn’t find the ending to be hilarious and cathartic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

How old are you out of curiosity?

The fact you didn’t understand this was about the Manson family that far in makes me wonder if you’re too young to find it culturally relevant.

Or maybe regardless of your age you don’t have much interest in the era (all good either way! Not saying this in a negative sense.)

The ending was amazing.

I just can’t imagine anyone with some knowledge of Manson whatsoever didn’t find the ending to be hilarious and cathartic.
The whole Manson thing happened before I was born, so maybe it's about age, but I don't like Hollywood, full stop. I don't generally care about the lives of actors and only know a handful of directors by sight, with most of those being dead or close to it.

I never had much interest in learning about Manson outside of the basic facts, which I have probably heard and forgot 3 or 4 times before it finally stuck (after learning more about pederast Polanski when The Pianist was released, which, along with Chinatown, I really liked).

Still, I have watched a shitload of movies, at least until around 2017 or so, but have never sat through a single roll of the credits. If it wasn't for IMDB, I wouldn't even know the name of most actors either.

Entourage probably did the most to increase my opinion of Hollywood, and I didn't watch it for it's first two years or so, just because I thought it was more about Hollywood being up it's own ass.