Paris

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Good choice, if you don't mind the bill !

Gurgeh Gurgeh how is paris these days? I'm sure I'm being a pansy but I don't really want to fly into riots and police standoffs. All I see on the news about paris is burning cars and shots fired. I'm 99% sure it's just isolated incidents and we'll be fine, but just wanted to ask someone who lives there.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't live there but just got back and will be headed to Vienna again in March. It's not bad. Like any city there are areas you do not want to go, but in general if you are in the tourist spots and nicer hotel/restaurant areas you'll be fine. Definitely more mooslims, you'll see people in the subway and shit that you'll want to avoid.

Things change fast now but within the last 3 months when I was there it wasn't so bad that I was afraid to go outside or grab dinner....who knows though with the rate things are going there. Expect a lot of political turmoil due to the divide with upcoming elections, but that stuff is mostly peaceful unless you know French and get in to it with someone :)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't live there but just got back and will be headed to Vienna again in March. It's not bad. Like any city there are areas you do not want to go, but in general if you are in the tourist spots and nicer hotel/restaurant areas you'll be fine. Definitely more mooslims, you'll see people in the subway and shit that you'll want to avoid.

Things change fast now but within the last 3 months when I was there it wasn't so bad that I was afraid to go outside or grab dinner....who knows though with the rate things are going there. Expect a lot of political turmoil due to the divide with upcoming elections, but that stuff is mostly peaceful unless you know French and get in to it with someone :)

I don't know French but I was considering wearing a Le Pen shirt each day, bad idea? :D

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Best advice I have for Paris is to not keep your wallet in your back pocket in any public area as mini-arabs will pickpocket you in short order.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gurgeh Gurgeh how is paris these days? I'm sure I'm being a pansy but I don't really want to fly into riots and police standoffs. All I see on the news about paris is burning cars and shots fired. I'm 99% sure it's just isolated incidents and we'll be fine, but just wanted to ask someone who lives there.
I have not ever seen a burning (or burnt) car ever (in Paris, in the suburbs that's another story...), I have never been caught in a violent protest ever either. You shouldn't be able to either as the metro, buses and all public transportation are closed in the vicinity of any demonstration, so... If you're paranoid avoid the north eastern part of Paris late at night (from Porte de Saint Ouen to Porte des Lilas), but even there, you'd be exceptionnaly unlucky to have something happening to you even if you're wandering alone at 3am. You'll be safe 24/7 in the touristic area and anywhere in the south and in the west of Paris. You might want to avoid the area of Barbes the days our BLM-wanabees are protesting.

Best advice I have for Paris is to not keep your wallet in your back pocket in any public area as mini-arabs will pickpocket you in short order.
Well they're not mini-arabs, they're young romanian girls, they do dress a bit like arabs, but nothing much in common. That being said, this is the real threat to your stay in Paris, no has ever tried to pickpocket me, even though I often go in the subway with the wallet in the back pocket of my jean, but my wife has been very close of being pickpocketed a couple of times. So tell your lady to be especially carefull with her belongings, they are targeting mainly women. Also if you take the train from CDG to Paris, use a train with no stop until Gare du Nord, lots of thieves targetting tired tourists there.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have not ever seen a burning (or burnt) car ever (in Paris, in the suburbs that's another story...), I have never been caught in a violent protest ever either. You shouldn't be able to either as the metro, buses and all public transportation are closed in the vicinity of any demonstration, so... If you're paranoid avoid the north eastern part of Paris late at night (from Porte de Saint Ouen to Porte des Lilas), but even there, you'd be exceptionnaly unlucky to have something happening to you even if you're wandering alone at 3am. You'll be safe 24/7 in the touristic area and anywhere in the south and in the west of Paris. You might want to avoid the area of Barbes the days our BLM-wanabees are protesting.

Well they're not mini-arabs, they're young romanian girls, they do dress a bit like arabs, but nothing much in common. That being said, this is the real threat to your stay in Paris, no has ever tried to pickpocket me, even though I often go in the subway with the wallet in the back pocket of my jean, but my wife has been very close of being pickpocketed a couple of times. So tell your lady to be especially carefull with her belongings, they are targeting mainly women. Also if you take the train from CDG to Paris, use a train with no stop until Gare du Nord, lots of thieves targetting tired tourists there.

Cool thanks man. I was pretty sure it was just hyped up news "Paris is burning" but wanted to ask someone who is there.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

The Parisiens I know tell me the Arabs have displaced the Gypsies when it comes to crime like theft/mugging in the last decade or so.

Gurgeh

I've never seen any arab doing pickpocket in Paris. Actualy there is a bunch of Romanians that pretend to be syrian refugees to beg...

You will mainly find the north african looking criminals in the suburbs north of Paris and their business are: drug dealing, car jacking, mugging to steal phones and jewelry.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't know French but I was considering wearing a Le Pen shirt each day, bad idea? :D

They are very snobby over there about speaking English instead of French. You will be just fine though. Some places you will see English listed last but it will be there. Other tourist countries you will see English first because they know where the money is coming from.

I walked with my wallet in my back pocket at all times. My right hand would come back and touch my back pocket from time to time as just a reflex. It is subtle but I do it every time I travel and have not been pick pocketed yet.

If your wife carries a purse have her bring one that zips up or snaps completely shut though and if possible something minimal and not a huge sack like some women do.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Don't sweat about trying to speak the local language. I speak fluent French but native French people will constantly correct me on verb and feminine/masculine errors, and then name fun of my mutant anglophone/Quebec French accent and say I sound like a farmer.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

ha, just like in the US depends on where you are ;) Being a "trumper" in the right location has got me free beers and other pleasures, but I dare not say it in other environments. It's not as bad over there, but same concept.

And like Gurgeh said, I've never seen a burning car or violet riot right in my face in France. I do see some shady fucking people on the subway but honestly I never thought twice about it or blamed France as I see that shit in every American city I have ever been in. I just chalk it up to subway retards and grossness.

I've only personally found myself in a foreign and shitty situation twice in my entire life and *almost* world over travels. Once in Spain during the riots about college kids not having jobs/mixed in with good ol' Catalonia succession. And once right at the migrant crisis first started and I wanted to get from Budapest to Munich. Was fairly scary and uncomfortable but at the same time I was praising that imaginary "white privilege" lol when I was the one allowed to buy a first class seat or dodge the violence.

It's funny that the nations that people think are just walk off the plane and get robbed were actually fine, but again I don't walk around like an idiot or push my luck with locals trying to buy drugs or wander down seedy looking alleys. I had no problems at all in Africa(and yes I did venture outside of the safari resorts), while I'll admit I wasn't wandering in to blood diamond mines or anything either.

Paris, and most of "main stream" Europe, in my opinion, has a very similar feel to America just with much more history/architecture and different attitudes about some basic stuff. The Muslim/migrant influx to Europe is real and visual, make no mistake about it, but they do a decent job of keeping it out of their money-maker spots.

Gurgeh

Probably a bad idea. That's not the kind of thing we do in France so you'll really stand out. We rarely have stickers on our car or show publicly our political views (outside of démonstrations/public meetings).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Probably a bad idea. That's not the kind of thing we do in France so you'll really stand out. We rarely have stickers on our car or show publicly our political views (outside of démonstrations/public meetings).
ha, just like in the US depends on where you are ;) Being a "trumper" in the right location has got me free beers and other pleasures, but I dare not say it in other environments. It's not as bad over there, but same concept.

And like Gurgeh said, I've never seen a burning car or violet riot right in my face in France. I do see some shady fucking people on the subway but honestly I never thought twice about it or blamed France as I see that shit in every American city I have ever been in. I just chalk it up to subway retards and grossness.

I've only personally found myself in a foreign and shitty situation twice in my entire life and *almost* world over travels. Once in Spain during the riots about college kids not having jobs/mixed in with good ol' Catalonia succession. And once right at the migrant crisis first started and I wanted to get from Budapest to Munich. Was fairly scary and uncomfortable but at the same time I was praising that imaginary "white privilege" lol when I was the one allowed to buy a first class seat or dodge the violence.

It's funny that the nations that people think are just walk off the plane and get robbed were actually fine, but again I don't walk around like an idiot or push my luck with locals trying to buy drugs or wander down seedy looking alleys. I had no problems at all in Africa(and yes I did venture outside of the safari resorts), while I'll admit I wasn't wandering in to blood diamond mines or anything either.

Paris, and most of "main stream" Europe, in my opinion, has a very similar feel to America just with much more history/architecture and different attitudes about some basic stuff. The Muslim/migrant influx to Europe is real and visual, make no mistake about it, but they do a decent job of keeping it out of their money-maker spots.

Yea that was just sarcasm, I wouldn't do that. Thanks guys.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Gurgeh Gurgeh we still feeling good about Paris tourism? My brother in law keeps sending my wife videos of cars on fire and cops getting attacked in Paris. I keep telling her its in the outskirts and it's fine and we're going to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower and shit, the main places. How bad are we looking?

Szlia

I was in Paris for a few days at the end of last year. It was maybe my 10ish trip there and a few years back I worked in Paris for three months. The two main differences since the last time I have been there a couple years ago? Bags being checked when entering Les Halles (big shopping and cultural hub) and a lot more chinese tourists!

Side note: On this recent trip I met a friend who lives in Paris who told me something I did not know about the city. There is a kind of japanese quarter. Rue Sainte-Anne near the subway station Pyramides there are dozens of japanese restaurants, including the type of blue collar fast foodish joints that serve different types of delicious delicious rice bowls (Katsu-don! Ten-don!).

Gurgeh

Gurgeh Gurgeh we still feeling good about Paris tourism? My brother in law keeps sending my wife videos of cars on fire and cops getting attacked in Paris. I keep telling her its in the outskirts and it's fine and we're going to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower and shit, the main places. How bad are we looking?

If you think tourism in New York or Los Angeles is too dangerous, you should probably avoid Paris, else you shouldn't worry too much. One car burning in Paris yesterday in an area no tourist ever went is enough to make internationnal news, that should tell you how dangerous the situation is... You're probably safer than you've ever been in the touristic area, with lots of police and military everywhere. If you take the time to check the crime rate statistics even factoring major terror events in the last few years it's still rather average...
Anyway if you're a bit worried about it, I'm quite sure you'll feel safe after 2 hours spent in Paris, when you'll notice that it's not quite the post-apocalyptic à la Fallout city that it is being depicted as in some US media.

Side note: On this recent trip I met a friend who lives in Paris who told me something I did not know about the city. There is a kind of japanese quarter. Rue Sainte-Anne near the subway station Pyramides there are dozens of japanese restaurants, including the type of blue collar fast foodish joints that serve different types of delicious delicious rice bowls (Katsu-don! Ten-don!).
I would guess it's easier to find decent japanese food in the US than in France. Rue Saint Anne has some real japanese restaurant, but some are also owned by chinese in this street so be careful ! My favourite Japanese restaurant is SANKI next to the Raddison Blu "porte de saint cloud". You even have the noisy japanese business men eating there in the evening sometimes... but yeah, if you're near Le Louvre, have a look at Rue Saint Anne, it's a small japanese street right in the middle of paris !

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you think tourism in New York or Los Angeles is too dangerous, you should probably avoid Paris, else you shouldn't worry too much. One car burning in Paris yesterday in an area no tourist ever went is enough to make internationnal news, that should tell you how dangerous the situation is... You're probably safer than you've ever been in the touristic area, with lots of police and military everywhere. If you take the time to check the crime rate statistics even factoring major terror events in the last few years it's still rather average...
Anyway if you're a bit worried about it, I'm quite sure you'll feel safe after 2 hours spent in Paris, when you'll notice that it's not quite the post-apocalyptic à la Fallout city that it is being depicted as in some US media.

Thanks, we only know what we see over here thats why I look for a reality check. Thanks for the info.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

I would guess it's easier to find decent japanese food in the US than in France. Rue Saint Anne has some real japanese restaurant, but some are also owned by chinese in this street so be careful ! My favourite Japanese restaurant is SANKI next to the Raddison Blu "porte de saint cloud". You even have the noisy japanese business men eating there in the evening sometimes... but yeah, if you're near Le Louvre, have a look at Rue Saint Anne, it's a small japanese street right in the middle of paris !

Booked a nice AirBnB right on the rue Dauphine instead of the hotel. Looking forward to seeing Paris!

Gurgeh

That's a nice place, if I were rich, I'd live in that area ! (kinda ridiculously expensive to buy something there...)