Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've been liking Frost Blades more since trying them again, thanks for the recommendation Caliane Caliane .

I'm having trouble picking between Raider and Pathfinder. Raider is pretty easy to quantify since the bonuses from Frenzy charges and Onslaught should always be up. How consistent is Pathfinder's flask usage? And does it fall apart once you get to a boss? As, in you're not generating constant flask charges from kills and crits anymore.

And of course, it's hard to quantify the Pathfinder's better defenses from flasks and the Acrobatics node since I've never played at a high level yet. Can you change your ascendancy choice?

Caliane

the two end up very similar. Raider more dps, pathfinder more defense.

I like pathfinders and the potential from flask effect. and 100% uptime on immune to elem status.
Raider immune to elem status is not 100% uptime, as phasing is not as reliable as "on flask use".

Flask charge gain was nerfed quite a bit. to the point, you may not even want master surgeon anymore. and thus only have the flask charge gain via on kill, and every 3s. Do note, flask charge gain is increased from the flask charge gain on belt, nodes, etc. so that 1 every 3s, can be like 2 every 3s.

Avatar of the veil first, avatar of the slaughter second. Hunt line is awful.
if pathfinder, you want master alch first, then fast and deadly. then can choose master surgeon OR vet bowyer.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm lazy/suck with flask usage so I'd go raider, but deadeye is also viable for frostblades if you want the free chain. But I was thinking of going claw with the unique frost claw that chains at max frenzies if the claw changes are decent.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's also Ewar's Mirage for swords. Or you could socket in a chain support(in place of...elemental focus?). Going deadeye just for chain seems a bit extreme.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Chain gem uses up a slot (obviously) while also applying a less penalty over having another more modifier.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This seems like the perfect thing for weapon swapping. Kinda silly there's no 6L one handers. But I understand it from a balance perspective. Just seems like a fundamental flaw in their system. I want faster attacks for single target, chain for packs.

Caliane

dont waste your time with chain on frostblades. It will kill aoe trash without any effort. its single target you need to focus on. +9 projectiles, and heralds do the aoe job more then enough.. And, FB's innate huge range+multistrike as well, lets you tag any stragglers without repositioning or any wasted time.
Chain support is god awful. Damage penalty is too much, even IF it didnt waste a support gem slot.
Deadeye is ok. but, "free" chain, can't really compare to raider or pathfinder raw dps or defenses.

Ewars is solid. but gets out performed by high end elemental foils. its 50% weapon elemental is pretty good, and keeps it relevant. the chain is again, not really the main attraction. the 50% wed is.

Assassin is obviously great as well. possibly champion.

Caliane

Think, I will stick with EK pathfinder plan. Bladevortex, or bladefall as possible sideoption, both scaling with similar builds as selfcast. bladefall mine of course would require a different build.

Occurs to me, I never played an Explosive arrow build. and those are supposed to be pretty OP.

Caliane

With skills marked attack like shield charge and whirling blades your going to want to link faster attacks. Your weapons APS also factors in like Caliane mentioned, so if you're using a 2h vs a 1h its going to feel sluggish. People doing 2h builds usually equip movement skills in their off slot weapon slots using fast 1h's.

Here's an example with leap slam -
This came up in reddit, and it occurred to me I did not specify this, when talking about making movement skills faster. and Korrupt is actually wrong here.

Base weapon attack speed does NOT effect movement skill speed.
1s shield charge, 2.6s whirling blades. 1.4s leap slam.
These numbers act as weapon attack speed, overrides. local ias on weapon, modifies these values, then global ias adds together and multiples in.

Weapon base attacks per second does not matter for shield charge and other movement skills. Only the local attack speed modifier makes a difference. • r/pathofexile

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never really played this game before but I kinda want to start the league on Friday. How do I get started, beyond the obvious?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I've never really played this game before but I kinda want to start the league on Friday. How do I get started, beyond the obvious?

What is obvious to you? Download the game, create account, start on the softcore new league. Play and learn the game.

Caliane

start playing. do everything wrong. Start over after level 40 or so. (not even a joke.)
Many do recommend using the forums, and following a build guide for your first character.
The problem with that, is many build guilds are just lists of end game unique items, which require currency from trading to actually build. So, if you do, search for "league starter build".
as well, look over skills, pick an offensive skill to base your build off of, and google it. you will get videos and builds featuring it.
the key streamers tend to make "ideal starter builds for *next league" a few days before a league. Mathil, ziggyd are top 2 atm.

This game is very much a "keep the wiki open" type of game. Streamers, and hardcore alike all pop it open to search for things constantly.

Official Path of Exile Wiki

When allotting passive points in the tree. Defense is king. Especially life, if you build life.

Install a loot filter. The game has a basic one. But a playermade one will be better.
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - NeverSink's LOOTFILTER v4.5 ♦ in-depth ♦ endgame+leveling 2in1 ♦ user-friendly ♦ multiversion - Path of Exile
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - [Loot Filter] One Filter to Rule Them All v2.5.1 (Updated 2016-12-06) - Path of Exile

The beginners guide mentioned.
Beginner's Guide Series - YouTube
ZiggyD Gaming

Firestorm then go into Flameblast aka pizzablast. Here are some ideas.

Here are some useful sites that I use.

Poeplanner - What I use to create builds. You can also use GGG one too.
PoE Planner

Vorici Chromatic calculator- Wish I knew about this long ago. Blew so many chromes to get the right colors.
Vorici Chromatic Calculator

Filter Blast- list of all the most used loot filter and you can even change them to your preference.
FilterBlast: Get Your Path of Exile Item Filter

Poetools- I mainly use them for the exp penalties and aura calculator.
Path of Exile tools

Poetrade- Pretty much self explanatory. Where you sell and buy shit out of game game client.
PoE Goods

Poeaffix - Show you all the affixes and values
poeaffix

Also if your on standard I can hook you up with alot of good leveling gear and gems.

Path of building offline planner. Super powerful/useful. just as complicated. a bit much for a new player.
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - Path of Building: Offline Build Planner [v1.3.9] Flask support added! - Path of Exile

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

so many builds... so little time.

Eyeing viper strike as well. Some huge buffs to it.
The 1h weapon buff as already noted. Granted daggers not getting buffed, and dagger is most ideal, for a poison build.

Viper Strike - Official Path of Exile Wiki
  • Viper Strike's Threshold Jewel now also grants a 10% chance to gain Unholy Might on hit per poison stack on the enemy, and is limited to 1.
Unholy Might - Official Path of Exile Wiki
Growing Agony - Official Path of Exile Wiki
(4-12)% increased Damage over Time
With at least 50 Dexterity Allocated in Radius, Viper Strike deals 2% increased Attack Damage for each Poison on the Enemy
A double buff here. Thresholds no longer need the stats allocated. small buff, but there. Then that 10% on hit for unholy might is huge. may as well say, "you have unholy might." Which is "gain 30% of phys damage as chaos."

then, melee splash buff.
As another notable change, Melee Splash now gains significantly more increased area than it did increased radius as the gem levels, bringing it much closer to equivalent area skills.
If melee splash is even remotely the size of reave/cleave now. damn..

So, if this is the last patch before poison double dipping gets nerfed. Maybe this is the one to try.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
start playing. do everything wrong. Start over after level 40 or so. (not even a joke.)
Many do recommend using the forums, and following a build guide for your first character.
The problem with that, is many build guilds are just lists of end game unique items, which require currency from trading to actually build. So, if you do, search for "league starter build".
as well, look over skills, pick an offensive skill to base your build off of, and google it. you will get videos and builds featuring it.
the key streamers tend to make "ideal starter builds for *next league" a few days before a league. Mathil, ziggyd are top 2 atm.

This game is very much a "keep the wiki open" type of game. Streamers, and hardcore alike all pop it open to search for things constantly.

Official Path of Exile Wiki

When allotting passive points in the tree. Defense is king. Especially life, if you build life.

Install a loot filter. The game has a basic one. But a playermade one will be better.
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - NeverSink's LOOTFILTER v4.5 ♦ in-depth ♦ endgame+leveling 2in1 ♦ user-friendly ♦ multiversion - Path of Exile
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - [Loot Filter] One Filter to Rule Them All v2.5.1 (Updated 2016-12-06) - Path of Exile

The beginners guide mentioned.
Beginner's Guide Series - YouTube
ZiggyD Gaming

Path of building offline planner. Super powerful/useful. just as complicated. a bit much for a new player.
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - Path of Building: Offline Build Planner [v1.3.9] Flask support added! - Path of Exile

As a new player this was an extremely helpful post. Thank you!!

One question, the Refund Passives...does that refund ALL passives, or the 1 point at a time...

Caliane

1 point per. 1 point per regret.
5 respec points for ascendancy points.
20 for bandits.

you get 24 skill point refunds via quests during leveling. so can assume 24 points of respecing, without any actual cost.

Regret orbs are quite pricey. and, the game is built on making alts. so, in most cases if a respec will cost more then that 24 points, its best to reroll entirely.