Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How much more time till it stats? Or how much left in the throwback, didn't play and haven't followed it all.

Edit - NM found it, says 16 days.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, I think I hit the wall for PoE for a while.

Now understand that I am fully aware at how much "gambling" is inherent in PoE's design and philosophy; how much of an rng machine this game has become.

But I thought I would do an experiment: I had one T7 and one T8 map not completed on my Atlas. So I took all my T7 and T8 maps, alched and did the "alternate of the same tier" in the Map launcher. After 45 maps I did not see either of those uncompleted maps pop.

I immediately logged out and uninstalled. Rash, yes. But I am off to other games for now. Oh, I will be back, but the videos of the next league are not enough to bring me back for now. Maybe 4.0.

Edit - Fuck you GGG - more shards to collect. On the same scale as the Breach ones perhaps, which is not too extreme, but enough already.

Also, because I am especially salty today, yet another adrenaline rush timed event league. Hit the obelisk, run around like crazy and hit as many chests and statues as possible, and then fight. I mean, Chris made it plain in his earlier presentation that speed was going to stay in the game, but I am definitely tired of the press button, rush around meta.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, you're mad that you had a problem and tried to solve it in the worst manner possible? Let's walk through the numbers.

There are 11 T7 maps and 11 T8 maps. So, you have a 10% chance to hit your target map each attempt. 1 - (1 - 0.1)^22.5 = 9.34% you WON'T get your target map, assuming even split of the total 45 attempts. Factoring in alch, map, and time costs when compared to buying bulk off poe.ninja, buying singles off poe.ninja, asking guildmates for trades/donations, waiting for them to show up in Zana's store, spamming Horizon orbs, or just waiting for them to naturally drops, this seems like the worst course of action.

I'll take shards over mandatory and frequent diversions. Is there a better system than both of those?

Timed events are a great way to push player skill and choice. Slow builds are allowed to exist but they should not be catered to. They otherwise put too much restriction on the design space.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
By non channeling aspect, am I correct in thinking they are making it so you can actually move while using it and it doesn't lock you into wherever you told it to cast? God did that suck for synthesis void spots

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So, you're mad that you had a problem and tried to solve it in the worst manner possible? Let's walk through the numbers.

There are 11 T7 maps and 11 T8 maps. So, you have a 10% chance to hit your target map each attempt. 1 - (1 - 0.1)^22.5 = 9.34% you WON'T get your target map, assuming even split of the total 45 attempts. Factoring in alch, map, and time costs when compared to buying bulk off poe.ninja, buying singles off poe.ninja, asking guildmates for trades/donations, waiting for them to show up in Zana's store, spamming Horizon orbs, or just waiting for them to naturally drops, this seems like the worst course of action.

I'll take shards over mandatory and frequent diversions. Is there a better system than both of those?

Timed events are a great way to push player skill and choice. Slow builds are allowed to exist but they should not be catered to. They otherwise put too much restriction on the design space.

Yes. Yes I am. But thanks for the math lesson.

I guess I am just tired of PoE in general I suppose. I just needed some reason to finally pull the trigger.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Oh stop being obtuse. I am annoyed at the RNG in the game, as I do not enjoy the trade aspects. The game has allowed me to glean sufficient entertainment despite that, but the deeper the RNG gets the harder it is maintaining that level.

I have never made any bones about the fact that I do not play the game ideally based on the core drop rates designed around trade - gear, maps, crafting, etc. But the fine line of "I can still enjoy this game despite that" was crossed recently (maybe in Syndicate) but my true realization is catching up to that now.

I guess I could be "mad at myself" for wanting to enjoy the core PoE game with my own drops. I held out for as long as I could. You will note that I called it an "experiment". I kind of knew what the result would be, it was more fulfillment of what I already knew than a learning experience. Edit - but, yes, it is a personal thing. Trading solves most of my issues.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I always said that this game is best played with a few leagues break in between.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm playing the flashback and I'm up to red maps without having traded maps once. Trading would have made it easier but I decided to try the tactic of farming up the next tier before completing any maps from the next tier. It honestly wasn't that bad, maybe 20% longer than trading? I've saved all my horizon orbs for red tier, so completing my atlas will be easy now.

You're bored with the game and looking for mechanics to nitpick because quitting out of boredom leaves a bad taste while bad mechanics means it wasn't your fault. The truth is that they have done A LOT recently to make map drops easier to achieve atlas completion. 4-5 leagues ago, you'd have a valid gripe.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m playing way less than most and I’m in reds somewhat with only doing a couple trades. Still a pretty shitty t6/t7 completion %. No idea how that happened. More t8/t9 than those. RnG is RNG.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I like how in new patch they are seperating caster and melee weapons, should be easier to roll better shit now.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m thinking I’m starting occultist but will definitely farm up shit for a melee guy. I’ll see what gets buffed.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Multistrike doesn't suck now, you just need tons of attack speed!

Animation cancelling usually means you can interrupt a skill with a (usually different) skill before the animation would normally finish. The intent is to let you get out of harm's way quicker, not more dps.

Borzak Borzak WoW did not pioneer that.

Animation cancelling leads to dps increase in most games and might even help in the pre 30 levels of Poe depending on how thier animation system works. Most games it's a wind up time into actual damage into recovery or backswing. That backswing is what you can usually cancel thus increasing your dps.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Being able to get out of a locked in multistrike and into an instant leap slam is going to be a huge improvement in qol. Would've saved me a lot of friggin exp.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Animation cancelling leads to dps increase in most games and might even help in the pre 30 levels of Poe depending on how thier animation system works. Most games it's a wind up time into actual damage into recovery or backswing. That backswing is what you can usually cancel thus increasing your dps.
You can cancel the backswing but can't swing again until it's over. It does let you move inbetween hits though, even if only very slightly to get into melee range of the next mob, but you won't gain any DPS, you can gain map clearing speed to an extent however since you can convert a part of all the backswings into movement, but at high attackspeed the backswing is probably irrelevant. The change will mostly be interesting for cancelling early if you were spamming attacks and all of a sudden you want to dodge and in the very early game. Stuff like namelocking change and automatic cancelling when stuff is dead is where the big changes are for endgame melee and even that only affects some skills. Still it should feel a bunch better and hopefully they have some nice buffs coming to melee splash and what not to go with it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Plus that whole new short low level movement skill looks dope as hell too. Im sure this will help melee too. I guess casters get one too.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Plus that whole new short low level movement skill looks dope as hell too. Im sure this will help melee too. I guess casters get one too.
I mean it'll be replaced as soon as you get whirling blades/shield charge/leap slam/flame dash I think, it has a 2secs cooldown or whatever so it's unusable for movement, the only advantage is it's available at 4 instead of 12(or later not sure about all movement skills).