[PC] Grand Strategy / Campaigns

Sulrn

Deuces
Looking for a non-Roman/Napoleonic strategy game along the lines of the Total War Series but with more depth. Every time a TW thread pops up I see several titles pop up, but I've never really had the bug until now.

Medieval, WW 1/2, or contemporary.

Most of my play experience has come from Civ 2/3 and M/S:TW 1/2.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Are you looking for something turn-based? You already mentioned some of the best titles and I doubt anything will compare. I'll go on a limb and say give Mount & Blade Warband a try. Odds are that is outside your request but in the unlikely case that you have not played or looking into it yet - try it. Get through the annoying tutorial and enjoy one of the best strategy/RPG/BallsDeepAction games ever made.

As for the TW games, Rome TW is widely claimed to be the best of the series I think. Not vouching for it myself as I never got into any TW games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Mount and Blade: Warband is its own style of grand strategy / campaigns. It has a turn based campaign mode and every battle you drive a horsey in a real time mounted combat mode.

FaxPiss_sl

shitlord
The Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron series are what come to mind whenever I hear 'grand strategy'. Well, those and War in the Pacific but I would never recommend that.

nate_sl

shitlord
I really thought Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai (the latest TW game) was very well done. Probably the best TW game to date... although Rome is still my favorite, its complexity is nothing compared to FoTS. You don't seem interested in TW games though, and I agree with Azziane that they are the bread and butter of the genre.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Been playing a lot of Shogun lately but decided to change it up and play some TW:Rome and Alexander expansion last weekend. Shogun is a significantly better game by far, I think.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Paradox Interactive company games are great for the map based type play that you'd get from TW games. I don't think any other game combines the RTS and turn based stuff as well as TW games, though.

I'd recommend trying some mods for the TW games. You'll find additionally complexity in many of them, especially M2TW (if you're okay with the old graphics).

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
King Arthur-The roleplaying wargame was a lot of fun.
Total warfare style game play with RPG elements, leveling your generals, giving them equipment etc.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
EU4 is going to be wicked awesome. There's plenty of sexy videos to watch, but I'm more interested in the most recent reveal,a plethora of AI renovationsthat will make them suck less.

Here's a timelapse of a slightly dated beta build if you're completely unfamiliar with this developer. France gets rolled hard, which always makes me cringe, but at least the Turks aren't gigantic pussies in this version.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
EU4 is going to be wicked awesome. There's plenty of sexy videos to watch, but I'm more interested in the most recent reveal,a plethora of AI renovationsthat will make them suck less.

Here's a timelapse of a slightly dated beta build if you're completely unfamiliar with this developer. France gets rolled hard, which always makes me cringe, but at least the Turks aren't gigantic pussies in this version.
I'm just thrilled that they are adding in for pre-orders an OFFICIAL port your CK2 to EU4 converter. I have a game as the Wendish Empire (started as Tribe of Sorbs, small duchy near Pomerania with latest DLC) and would love to see how my world transforms Europe in EU4.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I'd like to port even a semi-united Italy or Russia into EU4, but CK2 just goes so fucking crazy. I'd get frustrated trying to change my corner of the world and preserve the historical development of most other places. The consistent survival of the eastern roman empire is a key problem. I like the Turks and the problem they pose for Europe. Having a comfy Roman wall between Europe and Islam is lame.

Did you accept Jesus Christ as your savior? I wonder if there will be some way to become catholic in EU4. Pagan faiths would need some pretty win bonuses to compete with the papacy if it's anything like EU3.

Sulrn

Deuces
So for someone new to the series, what are the real differences between CK and EU? Currently struggling to get past my grandchildren in CK2 before their in fighting destroys my legacy. A quick google says CK is dynasty building EU is nation building? Elaboration?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I had this whole explanation, but then the site died for half an hour.
frown.png
I'll try again later.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So for someone new to the series, what are the real differences between CK and EU? Currently struggling to get past my grandchildren in CK2 before their in fighting destroys my legacy. A quick google says CK is dynasty building EU is nation building? Elaboration?
CK2 is like A Game of Thrones the game. Dynasties, familial relations, lineage all play an important role in the game.

EU doesn't have this feature, so its like CK2 but with more emphasis on running nations and fighting wars. Or its more like Risk meets the overworld map portions of a Total War game.

They play fairly similarly but in an EU game you don't have to worry about shit like having a retarded person as your only heir, leading to mass rebellion amongst your empire. In CK2, your vassals are more of a threat than players outside of your realm.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Elaboration?
1. Entire planet to interact with. There are still dead zones in the map like the arctic circle, landlocked africa (exception of mali/hausa), the amazon rainforest, the american midwest, etc. that weren't really exploited by europeans during this time.

2. You don't control a character. You have a few cabinet style agents to project religious conversion/colonization/etc. and advisors that augment your leader's stats. Your leader is just a name on a menu. S/he may have an heir listed if it's a monarchy, but it's all more abstracted than CK2.

3. Conscription is basically dead. You will have a standing army/navy and occasionally rely on mercenaries.

4. Vassals are generally an early game thing to represent the feudal nature of europe. They're less common in the late game as many european kingdoms centralize into more absolutist states with a far flung empire. (though, sadly,viceroyaltiesare still not a thing)

7 (so awesome it skips 5 and 6). Trade is a really really big deal. This is the period of the cape hope trade route, and both atlantic and pacific trade winds fostering intercontinental world trade. The ancient silk road from China to Europe will be upended by the Portuguese (generally) and the power of the world economy will shift from the east to the west.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/438261345

2 Hour Twitch stream (interspersed with a bunch of "Making of EU4 stuff") with the Studio head of Paradox and the Lead Designer of CK2, talking about the converter and lots of EU 4 stuff. They are adding an Ironman Mode to EU4 (this was probably announced earlier but I'm behind), and all I can say is OH SWEET JESUS YES. I can't help it, I'm weak, I save scum when its going bad :\