[PC] Grand Strategy / Campaigns

Agraza

Registered Hutt
when ironman mode is enabled the screenshots of the world map should have a flexing arm watermark covering it.

schnarkie_sl

shitlord
Enjoying CK2. Just got back into it and now that i'm figuring it out having a blast. Little painful to jump into it but stuck with it and loving it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
the EU series for sure is the best grand strategy.
As a long term civ 3/4 player, it took me ages to get into EU. Kept hearing about it, trying it and giving up after a couple of hours. Was only on my 5th or 6 th attempt that I followed a step by step guide that everything started to click into place and I actually saw what was happening. The depth and complexity just blow civ away so much that you can't even compare the two. Cannot wait for EU4 to come out.

Keep hearing good things about CK2 and I really wanted to like it, but it just never clicked for me. Seems to be quite a different game. I'd suggest trying out ck2 and eu3 and seeing which one works for the best. And No reason you can't enjoy them both.

Anyone tried EU or even CK multiplayer? Might be interesting in trying it when Eu4 comes out though no idea how it works in practice.

I've tried CK2 a couple of times. I still have no idea what I'm doing and just can't seem to get into it. Makes me sad because I'm a huge EU fan and this importing CK2 maps seems really neat.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That's weird because it plays in large part like EU, with some iterations on some of the finer points. The expansions, especially Old Gods, really help with some of the UI complexities, in some cases outright gutting and replacing shit that was obtuse before.

I just have the base game which may be part of the problem. Didn't see the point of getting the xpacs when I couldn't get in to the base game. Should I buy all three of the bigger ones or does Old Gods really do the trick by itself?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You know, some people will say skip a few of them, maybe the one that has the Aztecs invade Europe (which honestly, you can probably do without) but I'd say just watch for a sale and buy them all up when they're real cheap. Between Amazon, Steam and Gamersgate it seems like the whole thing goes on sale pretty much every month or two.

I think they round the game out nicely.

But if you want to skip any, you could feasibly skip Sunset Invasion and possibly the Republic. Sword of Islam lets you play Muslim factions and is must have and Old Gods moves the starting date back a few hundred years and gives you Norse and Vikings and whatnot. Which, I mean, its Vikings dude.

No one can do without Vikings.

Sound advice. To clarify on why I can get in to EU and haven't been able to do so with CK2 is basically the family versus nation thing that someone pointed out earlier in the thread. Spending more time dealing with vassels/inheritance/internal policies then external policies just felt kind of wonky. Also and maybe I'm just wrong but EU while having a ton of depth and intricacy didn't seem as obtuse at every layer with the rule set and the mechanics of the game. Either that or I'm just getting old and becoming impatient with my games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
See, the vassals and inheritance and whatnot is what makes it interesting to those who really dig it. Its a bit like playing A Game of Thrones the game, but its also got a bit of dwarf fortress to it, you know, a lot of shit goes wrong, you feel like you're always working uphill just a little bit, especially when you get a stupid or incompetent heir, etc.

I can see why someone would prefer EU over CK for the reasons you've mentioned. It just seems strange to me, as someone who likes CK2 probably a bit more than EU3, because CK2 is EU3, but with that added layer of complexity.

I dunno. To each his own and its totally cool if you prefer one over the other. I like to look at CK2 as a story telling game, very Dwarf Fortress in that respect, you know, shit HAPPENS and you respond to it, oftentimes unsuccessfully, that is fun to me because it provides a sort of narrative focus to the gameplay that is somewhat stripped out in other Paradox grand strategy titles I guess.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Demo is out for EU4 but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Don't even know what the restrictions on it are, but should be enough to give a taste of the game.