[PC/XBOX] Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest by Moon Studios released today for PC and XBOX (I believe it's on Game Pass currently). So far having a ton of fun with it. Plays a little different than the original, music is still on point, and the new combat is fun. Includes some built in little speed run challenges throughout the world. Fantastic art style, amazing music by Gareth Coker and very fun gameplay with lots of cool abilities (bash is still the funnest ability I've come across in a game).

CE is also available on Amazon with a steelbook, art book, soundtrack DL code and CD piano collection.

The original's Definitive Edition is also on sale until March 15th on Steam for $5 and is definitely worth a pickup if you don't have it yet. I believe it's also available on Switch, now.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been looking forward to this since they announced it, just kinda bummed it won't ever be on the PS. Oh well, such a beautiful style.

Hopefully this one doesn't kick you right in the feels in the opening act

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and picked this up since the 1st was so enjoyable, rare occasion of a launch day purchase. Need something to play while working from home for Coronachan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Went in to the first one and, although I enjoyed it, I was a little bummed out how little emphasis on combat there was. This one apparently amps the combat up significantly so here's hoping.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've watched a couple playthroughs of this on Twitch, since I know I don't do well in platformers. Everything about Ori 2 is an upgrade from 1, graphics, music, animations, gameplay, level design, all goes above/beyond Ori 1. A couple of the streams I watched had audio bugs, and others had no bugs at all. I might buy the game just to support the creation of quality games like this.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Definately was getting some audio issues during the prologue cutscene and some frame hitching but it seems to have settled down since. Steam version doesn't remap controls to Dual Shock so still XBox prompts, mer.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Didn't get the audio issues myself, but there was a little bit of stuttering during the prologue (on Steam). Only bug other than that I've seen so far is some of those wobbly vertical poles you can grab onto go into some funky physics when you get close to them and start wobbling like crazy which makes them hard to grab.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think around 40% through the game, and yep there's the feels being kicked in the balls. :(

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Think around 40% through the game, and yep there's the feels being kicked in the balls. :(

Yyeeepppp.... not sure how far I am in, but if you liked Ori 1 don't see any reason you wouldn't like this one. Really enjoying it although getting a blister on my thumb playing with the D-Pad and doing all the jumps. Never could swing the left analog stick on this thing.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just finished up at 99%, I know I'm missing some abilities and have two areas of the map showing 99% completion but there's nothing marked to still pickup / discover, so not sure what that's about. Will probably have to look some stuff up to get that last 1%.

Performance issues aside it was pretty awesome. Very good follow up and amazing the quality that Moon can put out. Final clock was 18 hours but not sure how accurate that is. It must only count actual playtime and not pause / menus b/c at least once I paused it and went out for the night or to bed. Steam shows me at 30 hours played and in game is 18. So that's probably pretty close.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I slept on the first game. Watching some stream 2 I was mesmerized.

Do I want to play 1 or is it forgettable?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

It was one of my favorite games in that couple years, though I'm an admitted sucker for any decent metroidvania. I'm looking forward to this sequel quite a bit, although my gaming time is going to be in the dumpster with my kids in the house 24/7 for the next few weeks.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I slept on the first game. Watching some stream 2 I was mesmerized.

1 is incredible and 2 just builds on it. Absolutely get 1, especially since it’s on sale. It’s not terribly long but it’s a wonderful experience.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah 1 is a no brained if you like Metroidvania style at all. It has some of the most fun traversal and puzzles. The atmosphere, levels, audio and characters are great. Then you can go in to 2 and see just how much they improved on everything.

Didnt 1 come out more around the same time as Salt and Sanctuary and something else that was trying to be like a Souls + Metroidvania, and some people got this lumped in there. It isn’t souls like at all. Just straight Metroid really.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Goddamn, the soundtrack to this game is incredible. The music during “that” escape sequence made me hard and definitely made up for the sequence itself being slightly aids.

Picked up the CE and it comes with the piano collection as well, but sadly my dumb disk drive doesn’t work anymore so I can’t burn it yet.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished up at 99%, I know I'm missing some abilities and have two areas of the map showing 99% completion but there's nothing marked to still pickup / discover, so not sure what that's about. Will probably have to look some stuff up to get that last 1%.

Performance issues aside it was pretty awesome. Very good follow up and amazing the quality that Moon can put out. Final clock was 18 hours but not sure how accurate that is. It must only count actual playtime and not pause / menus b/c at least once I paused it and went out for the night or to bed. Steam shows me at 30 hours played and in game is 18. So that's probably pretty close.

I'm in the exact same boat, I think 3 maps are at 99% and I'm virtually certain it's because I have some slightly shaded borders and not because I missed a pickup anywhere. That kinda concept to me was shit back in SotN, and is still shit now. You shouldn't have to hug every single wall/border line in order to get that final %, when you can't even tell what may be missing.

Laughed as I got to the end and realized that the ground pound ability was bought and not found (like in the first game), so all those spots I noted to come back to later could have been gotten early on.

Fuck the graboid part, I never had much issue with the other chase scenes in either game but the sand dashing was an added complexity I didn't do well at.

Loved the rest of the game and was really happy to see the end, I didn't feel even remotely sad that
you turn into the tree, compared to seeing your bird friend dead

I love that they have the ability to actually make me care about characters though, doesn't often happen in games.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah 1 is a no brained if you like Metroidvania style at all. It has some of the most fun traversal and puzzles. The atmosphere, levels, audio and characters are great. Then you can go in to 2 and see just how much they improved on everything.

Didnt 1 come out more around the same time as Salt and Sanctuary and something else that was trying to be like a Souls + Metroidvania, and some people got this lumped in there. It isn’t souls like at all. Just straight Metroid really.
Hollow knight? I'm currently playing that and it's a souls metroidvania for sure

• 1Like