Pebble Watch

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So, anyone else get one of these off Kickstarter?

Pondering downloading the SDK and doing some watchfaces (or even a simple stopwatch, timer, etc).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Will take care of screenshots tomorrow (as I'm on baby duty right now and don't have time), but there isn't really much to show at the moment. The one big let-down is that the iOS app, at the moment, can't install third-party apps or watchfaces on the watch without workarounds that suck. I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to do this as I'd like to make my own watchfaces.

It's a solid product, though. Battery life is a hell of a lot better than the iPod I've been using as a watch for a couple years. Updates are effortless through either Android or iOS. Notifications are great, and even better if you have Android or a jailbroken iOS device with notifications patched to be less broken.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
OK, better late than never. The release of the 1.0.6 app for iPhone greatly simplified the ability to install 3rd party watchfaces / apps. Here are a few watchfaces that I just installed (yes, there's a Star Trek watchface, I found it funny but it apparently drains the battery like crazy). I'm currently using the first one, it looks slick.

rrr_img_21166.jpg

rrr_img_21169.jpg

rrr_img_21165.jpg

Also, a simple timer app and what looks like a decent stopwatch with lap timer, and a calendar that shows the current month with today's date inverted and lets you actually scroll through months as well.

rrr_img_21167.png

rrr_img_21168.jpg

rrr_img_21170.png

There's a whole bunch more. The repositories are growing by the day and this is just the very beginning of people using the test release of the SDK. Check out:

http://forums.getpebble.com/categori...happ-directory
http://mypebblefaces.com/

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
This shit is getting awesome.

Screen_Shot_2013-04-14_at_05.18.51.png

preview.gif

divided_reversed_screenshot.png

New watchfaces every day.

Df~_sl

shitlord
Wow... this is really cool!

Any idea how much it would cost to buy one now?

Preorder looks like 150USD. Any projected release date? Wouldnt mind picking up one for me and a friend!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No idea, bought mine and my wife's off Kickstarter and they've been shipping the preorders for weeks now. They were very, very late on fulfilling KS orders, but now that they have their production line up and running, it shouldn't be too bad. All I know is I'm super impressed by the work that's already being done with the fledgling SDK for this thing.

http://getpebble.com/is your friend for all Pebble ordering!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Open source UIs for watches is a cool idea, but I just don't see why I'd want a watch when I have a cell phone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'd rather not wave my phone around all the time, depending on where I am. In public, people get their phones stolen all the time because they're paying more attention to the phone than to their surroundings, some workplaces don't exactly allow cell phone usage, etc.

The watch lets me control the phone to some extent -- answer calls, play music, maybe some other things viaIFTTTor some other type of watch app. The SDK isn't fully complete, so who knows what will be possible. It's definitely not for everyone, though, you're right. For me, the ability to have a bunch of different watch faces and apps that do different things is awesome.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Open source UIs for watches is a cool idea, but I just don't see why I'd want a watch when I have a cell phone.
If you don't currently wear a watch, wear one for a week or so and you will notice that you actually glance down at the time more than you think you would.

Df~_sl

shitlord
If you don't currently wear a watch, wear one for a week or so and you will notice that you actually glance down at the time more than you think you would.
Because you are curious about what time it is... or why there is something now attached to your wrist?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Now that you guys have had your Pebble for awhile what's the verdict? I was thinking of picking one up for myself and maybe a gift for a friend but I wasn't sure how gimmicky they were or if it actually had some useful features.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I still wear mine. RunKeeper integration is great, and there are more and more useful watch faces and apps every day. I do wish they'd iron out some of the persistent issues with iOS but that's more an Apple thing than a Pebble thing, tbh. I'm told the watch is more useful with Android devices as it's less limited in how it can talk to the phone/tablet.

I'd still recommend it as a watch for someone who wants more than just the time on their wrist. If all you want is a watch with changeable watch faces, the price is a bit steep, in my opinion, but that's just me.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The IOS thing kind of sucks since he's a Apple fanboy, are there any updates on the horizon to fix said integration issues? Also, could you elaborate on what the issues are?

I might still grab one for his bday but from the sounds of it I'm definitely going to have to get one.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oops, I never did answer. The integration issues are simple: You can only have one app talking to the Pebble at a time, so if (for example) you have httpebble and SmartWatch Pro running on your phone at the same time, whichever one connected to the watch last will be the one that sends data. The other will fail. There is no way around this at this point as it's an API limitation (of the phone, not the watch).

That said, for the most part, httpebble works really well so I don't need anything else. It makes details available for watchfaces, e.g. weather info, sunrise/sunset. Makes things like this possible:

screenshot.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
amazon and best buy are having the pebble black/red for 119 today

also if you have a student email address (.edu) you can goto bestbuy and get a student 30$ discount

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/C...at276200050000

for 95bucks (taxes)
as of this time i don't think it works online, ppl have been abusing it (like always) i went to my bestbuy store (only 2miles away), saw it was on sale for 119 and showed them my student coupon on my phone (i'm moving so my printer is in boxes) took them a while to figure it out (the POS didn't take it) but they honored it in the end.

i just like getting deals, and watch is cool, now time to find replacement metal bands.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
God damn impulse buying. Wife wears watches but hers has been broken for a few months. Red one ought to be perfect. Plus I love when my wife looks nerdy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so my first few hours with this watch and it scratches like a cheap $2 casio. i put the watch away and order a screen protector called skinomi. waited for shipping and just got the skinomi, i do notice the bubbles going away slowly (as they advertised). i got the 14$ kit with the carbon fiber look, should have just gotten the clear protector for 9bucks instead, the carbon fiber is really just high tech stickers, and if you try to put them on the pebble, looks really nasty.

otherwise, don't use a pebble without a 9$ screen protector, it really scratches easily.

having a bluetooth headset and listening to podcasts and pressing pause on my watch, instead of fishing out my phone is already worth it.