Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I got it shortly after release based on this thread's praise. I wanted to like it, but I haven't picked it back up since that first dungeon (the sacked temple?) you encounter in the first city. The shadows on the 2nd floor were super not fun and made me their bitch. I plan to give it another shot some day, but being made to feel like a casual peasant is still too fresh of a memory.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think I invested about 80 hours in to before I beat it, but I fucked around a lot. The game was great, but I really disliked the main story. Also, the expansion being a lot less relevant if you've finished the game sucks ass.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a fun game, can and should be played twice, once with story companions, once with custom ones from the inn. You can make some funny groups that way.

Sooo ... I Kickstarted this but still haven't played it due to backlog. Noticed there are already White March Expansions I and II.

Anyone played with all the expansions? Do they integrate into the main game like Baldur's Gate? Or is it completely separate campaigns? Was thinking to wait until they are mostly done expanding to get the full experience.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am glad you bumped this AP, I had forgotten all about this game and then saw it here (conveniently 50% off on steam too) and jumped right on it. I loved the old Baldur's Gate and Iewind Dale, and pretty much everything Obsidian has ever done, so I am excited about getting into it.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I got it shortly after release based on this thread's praise. I wanted to like it, but I haven't picked it back up since that first dungeon (the sacked temple?) you encounter in the first city. The shadows on the 2nd floor were super not fun and made me their bitch. I plan to give it another shot some day, but being made to feel like a casual peasant is still too fresh of a memory.
You aren't supposed to go there. Yet

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
It's a fun game, can and should be played twice, once with story companions, once with custom ones from the inn. You can make some funny groups that way.
Hey Mele, when you do the custom companions, do they have any quest related to them like the story characters ?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am glad you bumped this AP, I had forgotten all about this game and then saw it here (conveniently 50% off on steam too) and jumped right on it. I loved the old Baldur's Gate and Iewind Dale, and pretty much everything Obsidian has ever done, so I am excited about getting into it.
Damn. That must have been a short sale. Missed it already and you just posted that yesterday. Oh well.

Faltigoth

Sorry to hear that. This game is awesome in an old-school way, probably going to end up blowing the money I saved on the expansions, heh.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sorry to hear that. This game is awesome in an old-school way, probably going to end up blowing the money I saved on the expansions, heh.
Yeah, the whole package for the game and expanded content is like $90 on Steam. I want to play, but that's ridiculous.

Calroon_sl

shitlord
Yeah, the whole package for the game and expanded content is like $90 on Steam. I want to play, but that's ridiculous.
I mean I get it... it really is, but is there anyone left on earth who's buying games directly from steam while there's no sale going on?
No one that I know does that and I can't even remember how many years it's been since I last bought a game on Steam for the full price.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I'll pay full price for games if I want to play them. I bought this game on release and iirc it wasn't a huge discount (5%?). I bought Mordheim on release and never regretted the 40 bucks.

I have buddies who only buy on sale. They have thousands of games they have paid for that they have never played. If you pay full price for a game and actually play it then what is the difference?

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I had a friend who does that alot as well. Thought i'd never spend money on a game and not play it like them; then one christmas sale came and I went on a spree.

Now I have a few titles I've never played and probably never will.

Tenks

I stopped being a virtual video game hoarder a few years ago. Anymore I only buy games I have full intention to play within the next week or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you just want to play the game there's absolutely no reason to buy anything other than the Hero edition ($45). So $70 total if you get the expansion pass on top of that.

Also, most of the sales coinciding with White March part 2 release are over, but Gamestop still has the Hero edition for 50% off. It's just a Steam code, and you can then buy the expansion pass wherever it's cheapest (for expansion/season passes this is usually GMG with a voucher -- FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC takes it down to $20) when you're ready to play it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you just want to play the game there's absolutely no reason to buy anything other than the Hero edition ($45). So $70 total if you get the expansion pass on top of that.

Also, most of the sales coinciding with White March part 2 release are over, but Gamestop still has the Hero edition for 50% off. It's just a Steam code, and you can then buy the expansion pass wherever it's cheapest (for expansion/season passes this is usually GMG with a voucher -- FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC takes it down to $20) when you're ready to play it.
Thanks for the info.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The second expansion was a pretty decent follow up to the first part, an ok continuation of the story, some challenging fights for high levels etc. but overall the game doesn't really make me want to play it several times, unlike the infinity engine games. although there are plenty of replayability elements.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The second expansion was a pretty decent follow up to the first part, an ok continuation of the story, some challenging fights for high levels etc. but overall the game doesn't really make me want to play it several times, unlike the infinity engine games. although there are plenty of replayability elements.
I haven't played this game in several months. Are the expansions any good? I really liked the game, just wondering if the expansions are worth the $.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played this game in several months. Are the expansions any good? I really liked the game, just wondering if the expansions are worth the $.
If you liked the main game, I'd say yes, there's some 20 or so hours of gameplay in the expansions, depending on difficulty etc. a decent storyline and high level boss fights.