Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Bumping this, to talk about Pillers 2 specifically, instead of talking about it in the pathfinder, or baldurs gate thread. although, kindof funny the last converstation here was identical to the one that was going on in baldurs gate haha.

I'm a bit surprised the consensus was so low on Pillars 2. and, I suppose its poor sales reflected that. going back to Pillars 2 after Pathfinder wotr, I am very impressed. especially after going back and finishing pillars 1 first, to import my choices. pillars 1 was a struggle to finish. pillars 2, I'm kindof loving. maybe a 7 or 8/10, akin to Kingmaker.

I wonder if the dlc, and updates really did alot to help? I see that 5.0 patch noted here, which seems to have been a big one. This is such a massive, massive improvement over pillars 1 though.

none of you told me about the sea shanties. which are all created for the game. listen to the lyrics.

The crit role crews overuse is an issue imho. like, ok, using them is fine. but why is sam playing 13 different characters all in the same exact voice?

It took me quite a while to realize Maia was Marisha. at which point I realized its just that marisha is a moron, that I dislike her. Her voice and Voice acting is good. shes great if someone else writes what shes saying. haha.
xoti is 100% laura's current crit role character. not just accent. like its the same character. dreams, visions, everything. (maia and beau are pretty close to the same. and double checking. 1/2028 for s2 of crit role. so, she likely had Just finished maia voicework.)
Liam is almost unrecognizable as Serafen most times as well. Doing great work there. I wish he did that in other roles..
took me a minute to catch travis as tekehu. although I didnt run him in party much.

In terms of gameplay mechanics, sure it's a step above pillars 1. The DLCs connect nicely into the story, the myriads of different play modes, challenges, the Mega bosses, the playing around and stretching the game mechanics to their limits in different fights is very nice, don't get me wrong. But in terms of storyline, characters, quests it definitely felt like a step down from pillars 1. The overall atmosphere in pillars 1 was very noir and dark fantasy, whereas pillars 2 has much more whimsical and even silly elements to it, and of course underlying but palpatable wokeness.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bumping this, to talk about Pillers 2 specifically, instead of talking about it in the pathfinder, or baldurs gate thread. although, kindof funny the last converstation here was identical to the one that was going on in baldurs gate haha.

I'm a bit surprised the consensus was so low on Pillars 2. and, I suppose its poor sales reflected that. going back to Pillars 2 after Pathfinder wotr, I am very impressed. especially after going back and finishing pillars 1 first, to import my choices. pillars 1 was a struggle to finish. pillars 2, I'm kindof loving. maybe a 7 or 8/10, akin to Kingmaker.

I wonder if the dlc, and updates really did alot to help? I see that 5.0 patch noted here, which seems to have been a big one. This is such a massive, massive improvement over pillars 1 though.

none of you told me about the sea shanties. which are all created for the game. listen to the lyrics.

The crit role crews overuse is an issue imho. like, ok, using them is fine. but why is sam playing 13 different characters all in the same exact voice?

It took me quite a while to realize Maia was Marisha. at which point I realized its just that marisha is a moron, that I dislike her. Her voice and Voice acting is good. shes great if someone else writes what shes saying. haha.
xoti is 100% laura's current crit role character. not just accent. like its the same character. dreams, visions, everything. (maia and beau are pretty close to the same. and double checking. 1/2028 for s2 of crit role. so, she likely had Just finished maia voicework.)
Liam is almost unrecognizable as Serafen most times as well. Doing great work there. I wish he did that in other roles..
took me a minute to catch travis as tekehu. although I didnt run him in party much.
I liked Pillars 2 more than 1, but on release it had some issues (although I don't remember specifics anymore). Since they fixed some of those issues with DLC or just patches, I keep meaning to go back to give it a replay. I started with Pillars 1, a couple years ago, with the goal of playing them both, but I only got though 50% of the first game before quitting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also liked 2 more than one, because of the added in turn based combat. For some reason I never liked the first games combat that much. I would rather have turn based 100% in a game like this. Having to pause every second and readjust your entire party just felt wrong.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Two was okay, I could have really done without the pirate ship attacking portion.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been getting back into 1 so I can eventually play 2. These games are so refreshing. Just good hard fantasy RPG shit. No zoomer humor, no battle passes. Just you and a game.

Caliane

Pillars 1 and 2 both have two major narrative problems I'd say.

Pillars 1 has a major problem that involves the "reveal".
the game doesn't set you up to buy into the mythology of the world enough. chpt 1 and 2, you the player should be borderline willing to pledge yourself to the gods.
the game does not spend enough time setting up the gods, immersing the player in that world. to rug pull and say they are constructions and not real. Frankly, it tips the hand immediately. And again, never sets you up to be invested in them in the first place. gods being artificial, or ascending from mortals isn't rare in the first place. so the only real reveal is simply the gods are lying.
what they should have done is put some effort into stating, and enforcing creation myths for the gods and humanity. create an involved false history. creation, creation of humans, dryads, etc. and then, when you get to the end of the game and "its all a lie. the gods were created 2000 years ago. murdered everyone that refused to worship them, and rewrote history". massive hook, and unforgettable. but again, the game did not spend enough time getting you the player to buy into the lie.

pillars 2.
hurry and chase this giant statue. but also, go do all this random shit. major disconnect. They should have had him walk up and be chilling at hasongo. put some storms and biwacs around him, so you can't actually get close. you need to gain favor, and aide, to assault him. at which point he moves on to the next location.
the giant statue moving from location to location, but not actually being a presence on the map is a mistake. as well as suggesting he is making his way, but there being no timer. timers do suck, hence the "have him chilling at a location for a while".

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yep, and a year and a half later, I'm finally doing it! Ended up abandoning the PoE playthrough fairly early and now starting with Baldur 1. It's good times.

I almost completely forgot about these two games.

I never finished Arcanum, but I did complete ToEE. However, it was hot garbage for years until the mod community fixed it. Circle of 8, I think they were called. They really turned ToEE around and made it a great game.

So wait, is Temple of Elemental Evil not good? Was reading about how great it was in the other thread so I went ahead and bought it to put on the list.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Pillars 1 and 2 both have two major narrative problems I'd say.

Pillars 1 has a major problem that involves the "reveal".
the game doesn't set you up to buy into the mythology of the world enough. chpt 1 and 2, you the player should be borderline willing to pledge yourself to the gods.
the game does not spend enough time setting up the gods, immersing the player in that world. to rug pull and say they are constructions and not real. Frankly, it tips the hand immediately. And again, never sets you up to be invested in them in the first place. gods being artificial, or ascending from mortals isn't rare in the first place. so the only real reveal is simply the gods are lying.
what they should have done is put some effort into stating, and enforcing creation myths for the gods and humanity. create an involved false history. creation, creation of humans, dryads, etc. and then, when you get to the end of the game and "its all a lie. the gods were created 2000 years ago. murdered everyone that refused to worship them, and rewrote history". massive hook, and unforgettable. but again, the game did not spend enough time getting you the player to buy into the lie.

pillars 2.
hurry and chase this giant statue. but also, go do all this random shit. major disconnect. They should have had him walk up and be chilling at hasongo. put some storms and biwacs around him, so you can't actually get close. you need to gain favor, and aide, to assault him. at which point he moves on to the next location.
the giant statue moving from location to location, but not actually being a presence on the map is a mistake. as well as suggesting he is making his way, but there being no timer. timers do suck, hence the "have him chilling at a location for a while".

Well, they do have him chilling at a couple of locations, like at the volcano, kinda briefly mentioning in the text that "oh he's there, not sure what he's doing there, but seems to be waiting, but you should hurry and try to catch him"

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yep, and a year and a half later, I'm finally doing it! Ended up abandoning the PoE playthrough fairly early and now starting with Baldur 1. It's good times.

So wait, is Temple of Elemental Evil not good? Was reading about how great it was in the other thread so I went ahead and bought it to put on the list.

I would say Temple of Elemental Evil is OK, but not particularly great. Just felt sorta limited and stale, even though it had all the basics of a BG-style game. Should be at the bottom of your list.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Without the Co8 patch, it's unplayable. Fortunately, it's easy to find.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Arcanum should be on your list as well bro.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
You guys keep piling more and more games on him and old boy is never gonna get laid ever again.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think the Temple of Elemental Evil has suffered from time. It was good back then, but has not aged very well.

Pillars, yes, every fan of CPRGs needs to put them on their wish list, at least 2. 1 was too dark for me. Wasn't bad, but god was it depressing at times, at least until you got to the White March DLC that freshened things up a bit. I love the setting for 2, your home base is a ship and you sail the seven seas in search of adventure, finding new lands and monsters and shit. Loved it. But as a lover of turn based game, I was not too happy with the implementation in 2, so it's one of the few games I favour the real time combat.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Jimmy Fallon Gotcha GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I should probably start a "Rajaah's CRPG Blog" thread at this point so people can follow on my 12-game celibate voyage of losing muscle tone and getting fat and pimply and no longer being appealing to women. But By God, in exchange I get to play some fantastic games!

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I should probably start a "Rajaah's CRPG Blog" thread at this point so people can follow on my 12-game celibate voyage of losing muscle tone and getting fat and pimply and no longer being appealing to women. But By God, in exchange I get to play some fantastic games!
Bro I was just razzing you a little bit. You're a beast when it comes to finishing the video games!

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bro I was just razzing you a little bit. You're a beast when it comes to finishing the video games!

Oh yeah, I know you were. Problem is, you're also right. I'm gonna look like the South Park kids at the end of the Warcraft episode by the time I get to the end of the list...

...unless I manage to plow all of them in 20 hours like I did with BG1. Then this won't take a super long time, a few months. Definitely not gonna be going for any platinums.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Oh yeah, I know you were. Problem is, you're also right. I'm gonna look like the South Park kids at the end of the Warcraft episode by the time I get to the end of the list...

...unless I manage to plow all of them in 20 hours like I did with BG1. Then this won't take a super long time, a few months. Definitely not gonna be going for any platinums.
oh wait good point.

Add the south park games to the list of rpgs to play.