Playstation 5

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Astro game is pretty cool, my kid likes it, my neighbor and his whole family played it and really liked it. They should make a legit sequel. Or just, someone should make some more games like it at least.

Yeah, that pack-in game punches way above its weight. It's one of the best 3D Mario games I've played and it isn't even a Mario game. Does some really cool stuff with the DualSense controller too, so I tell people to give it a go to see what the controller is capable of.

The only full game on the PS5 that I think is similar to it is probably Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. Which is a great game and fantastic visually. If I had to pick five games for someone to get with a PS5, Rift Apart would probably be one of them. Along with Demon Souls, Elden Ring, Horizon 2, and Ragnarok. Returnal would be my 6th choice but it's very much an acquired taste.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How hard is Demon Souls compared to Elden Ring? I got through Elden Ring with levels and summons. But I guess thats not an option in DS.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How hard is Demon Souls compared to Elden Ring? I got through Elden Ring with levels and summons. But I guess thats not an option in DS.
Demons Souls isn’t that bad imo. I beat it back on the ps3 which had shit fps. The bosses were still fairly simple compared to some of the later games. You can out level stuff in demons souls but it’s more grindy than ER if you choose to do it because you’re more limited on where you can go early on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Demon's Souls you can just get through with magic. Start as Royalty 'class' and look up where to find the crescent falchion in world 4-1. From there it's just a matter of picking up all the other +magic damage items. Only real pain in the ass with a magic build is that eventually you have to invade someone as the Old Monk (and win) in order to get the best hat in the game. On the plus side, the remake has an option to hide headgear that the original never did.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Demons Souls isn’t that bad imo. I beat it back on the ps3 which had shit fps. The bosses were still fairly simple compared to some of the later games. You can out level stuff in demons souls but it’s more grindy than ER if you choose to do it because you’re more limited on where you can go early on.

Demon's Souls you can just get through with magic. Start as Royalty 'class' and look up where to find the crescent falchion in world 4-1. From there it's just a matter of picking up all the other +magic damage items. Only real pain in the ass with a magic build is that eventually you have to invade someone as the Old Monk (and win) in order to get the best hat in the game. On the plus side, the remake has an option to hide headgear that the original never did.

Consensus tends to be the bosses are a lot easier than most From bosses, while some of the levels are oddly a bit tougher than most From levels/areas.

Overall definitely in the lowest tier of FromSoft difficulty. Worth a play.

spronk

FPS noob
you can cheese a LOT of stuff in demon souls (remaster) if you get stuck, like one of the early bosses, spider boss, has a couple spots where you can use terrain to never get hit.

biggest issue is its a fairly linear game, with Elden if you get stuck you just go find something else to do, with Demon Souls you gotta grind or something since there isn't anywhere else to go. Some of the levels are an absolute nightmare too, i'm thinking of the swamp level. nothing that annoying or frustrating in Elden Ring really.

its really fun though, I've only really played Demon Souls and Elden Ring, having bounced off Dark Souls 1 a lot for whatever reason. more technical than gameplay, I think my PC had real problems running the game due to widescreen etc and the PS4 version is capped at 30 fps

its on PS+ premium so definitely worth a shot, some of the light/dark stuff is super obtuse and I still don't really understand it even though I 100%'d the game

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
you can cheese a LOT of stuff in demon souls (remaster) if you get stuck, like one of the early bosses, spider boss, has a couple spots where you can use terrain to never get hit.

biggest issue is its a fairly linear game, with Elden if you get stuck you just go find something else to do, with Demon Souls you gotta grind or something since there isn't anywhere else to go. Some of the levels are an absolute nightmare too, i'm thinking of the swamp level. nothing that annoying or frustrating in Elden Ring really.

its really fun though, I've only really played Demon Souls and Elden Ring, having bounced off Dark Souls 1 a lot for whatever reason. more technical than gameplay, I think my PC had real problems running the game due to widescreen etc and the PS4 version is capped at 30 fps

its on PS+ premium so definitely worth a shot, some of the light/dark stuff is super obtuse and I still don't really understand it even though I 100%'d the game

Basically: never be in human form. It effectively takes a ring slot from you, but it prevents your tendency from getting fucky.

After you kill a boss and become human, go die in the hub before continuing.

Aazrael

Whats a good size and brand ssd to add? I see my available space dropping quite fast.

I figure 1tb might be a good option?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whats a good size and brand ssd to add? I see my available space dropping quite fast.

I figure 1tb might be a good option?
If you play Call of Duty that takes 250 GB.

I keep an external for my ps4 titles that I randomly load back up and that floats around 1.2 of 2TB used. With the heavy hitters PS5 exclusives, ff14 I usually run around 90% on stock. I'd suggest a 2TB. 1TB is better than nothing, so just depends how much you want to spend on quality of life.

Aazrael

If you play Call of Duty that takes 250 GB.

I keep an external for my ps4 titles that I randomly load back up and that floats around 1.2 of 2TB used. With the heavy hitters PS5 exclusives, ff14 I usually run around 90% on stock. I'd suggest a 2TB. 1TB is better than nothing, so just depends how much you want to spend on quality of life.
I found a WD Black SN850X 2TB with heat sink for $220 (xmas sale). Seems to be a decent sale if i compare the price the last few months.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I found a WD Black SN850X 2TB with heat sink for $220 (xmas sale). Seems to be a decent sale if i compare the price the last few months.
is the best deal at the moment. You missed the really deep sales on Samsung 980 Pros before xmas, but this one is almost as good. I have them in both my PS5 and my PC.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

You should also get a bow and arrow and farm the shit out of 4-2 at the bridge :)

Once you shoot the reaper, everything else in the room dies - 4k a pop :) Run back up to the bonfire and respawn (about 4 seconds away going back up) and do it over and over again.

Basically when this video guy goes in with an all out assault, just stay center on top of the bridge and shoot the reapers head until it dies.

Szlia

Let me give you the best advice : don't do anything the other people proposed. Try to forget whatever they said (which should be easy as none of it makes much sense if you don't know the game) and just play the game blind. Why ? Because you can only do it once and that's the best way to experience these games. If you get stuck and lose hope or feel you are wasting your time or not enjoying the journey, then go for spoilers and fish for some cheesy strats or soul farming techniques, but at first get lost and confused, get trolled and taste sweet retribution! Having played Elden Ring you are already a lot more knowledgeable than the poor people who wandered into Demon's Souls back in the PS3 days :D

• 3Like
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Let me give you the best advice : don't do anything the other people proposed. Try to forget whatever they said (which should be easy as none of it makes much sense if you don't know the game) and just play the game blind. Why ? Because you can only do it once and that's the best way to experience these games. If you get stuck and lose hope or feel you are wasting your time or not enjoying the journey, then go for spoilers and fish for some cheesy strats or soul farming techniques, but at first get lost and confused, get trolled and taste sweet retribution! Having played Elden Ring you are already a lot more knowledgeable than the poor people who wandered into Demon's Souls back in the PS3 days :D

Kinda true actually :)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve played all of them blind and agree it’s a lot more satisfying figuring shit out yourself. Elden Ring was especially excellent that way because you could end up going to so many different places and discovering shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I simultaneously agree that exploring From games yourself is the best way, and disagree because Demons Souls specifically has such a weird and stupid mechanic in world tendency. When I played it I fucked myself raw turning worlds pure black dying so much simply because I liked being human. They had items to turn you back human when you died, why wouldn’t I use them?

Fucking dumb system, the only thing not worth “exploring for yourself.”

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Demon Souls and Elden Ring are probably the two easiest of the six From Soulsbornes. Both give you major avenues to lower the difficulty. You can overlevel in both, use summons in Elden, and use sorcery in Demon. Sorcery also works pretty well in Dark Souls 1, but won't help you much in Souls 2 or Bloodborne. Once you get good at melee combat, it's easier to use than sorcery anyway. Sorcery is more of a crutch for people starting out until they graduate beyond it. Demon helps with that graduation by making the Enchanted Falchion a really good weapon that you'll default to more and more even if relying on sorcery.

As people have already said, pick the Royalty class, keep the Cling Ring equipped at all times, and jump off a cliff in the Nexus every time you win a boss fight (to reset your HP back to its nerfed state). The "world tendency" stuff is generally really stupid and seems convoluted, but all you need to remember is to never die in "full HP" form outside of Nexus. Always stay in nerfed HP, go die in Nexus after every boss. Dying in Nexus affects nothing and puts you back to nerfed HP, while dying in the worlds makes them gradually harder to the point that some (World 4 comes to mind) will be almost impossible for a newer player.

Long as you make sure to do that one thing (and it becomes second nature fairly quickly to go jump off the Nexus cliff between levels) the game isn't bad at all. After that you can graduate to Dark Souls 1 Remastered and play a sorcerer there too, or maybe try going more melee if you found yourself liking that more in Demon (and with the Enchanted Falchion scaling off of Int, you probably will end up using it a lot by the end).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I agree...except in the case of Demon Souls. Going in blind is how you end up with completely borked world tendency and end up having to start the game over because you spent 8 hours dying on World 4-2 with red phantoms everywhere (Yes, this was what happened to me the first time).

Demon Souls is the one where you really need to know what you're doing going in for that reason. Going in blind on any other From game is a great idea, but not this one.

Aazrael

Whats the deal with the suiciding? You get some bonus/penalty in different forms or how does that work?