Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Brikker

Trump's Staff
How does this game figure how it populates Pokemon, etc on the map?

If I loaded this up and my GPS was somewhere in Africa, would there be pokemans??

Chris

Potato del Grande
How does this game figure how it populates Pokemon, etc on the map?

If I loaded this up and my GPS was somewhere in Africa, would there be pokemans??
Yes. Not 100% on this but if it's like Ingress, it'll use some method of tracking cellphones. More cellphones around, more pokemon. Pokestops/Gyms (landmarks IDed in Ingress) may also generate pokemon.

So no pokemon in the middle of a jungle but lots of pokemon in a town where people are with phones and/or ingress landmarks.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Pokemongo is the greatest execise app for nerds ever invented.
Girlfriend and I went a town over and went on a two mile walk around the town's green and main street collecting shit. This game is going to solve obesity.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
There is a pokestop at gazebo in our development. Can hit that shit from my house. Got my wife to get it. She took the daughter to a play date in Old Towne Alexandria. Soooooo many stops, gyms and lure places there.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Made a special train journey to the City Centre since it's full of Ingress Portals. Fucking app wouldn't load anything. However it worked fine all day in my suburb before and after the journey :/

Going to have to walk miles there miles myself so I can see where exactly it cuts out...

Any got lv9, finding it much more fun now I understand how it works. Top tip, stay away from big parks since encounter rate is linked to mobile phone activity so you need high density places like shopping malls.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_136576.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like pokemon games but touch controls enrage me on a personal level. Pass!

I live in Santa Barbara, and there are roving bands of out of class college kids on the streets excitedly talking about pokemons. Helps that it is a really nice day here, too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Made a special train journey to the City Centre since it's full of Ingress Portals. Fucking app wouldn't load anything. However it worked fine all day in my suburb before and after the journey :/

Going to have to walk miles there miles myself so I can see where exactly it cuts out...

Any got lv9, finding it much more fun now I understand how it works. Top tip, stay away from big parks since encounter rate is linked to mobile phone activity so you need high density places like shopping malls.
Wait you went on a train journey just to get Pok?mans? Please tell me you had other business.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's a big difference in doing something with your kid and taking a train ride solo IMO.

That being said, you do you Chris. Noodle is just a hater.

Chris

Potato del Grande
10 minute train ride? What's wrong with going for a walk on the weekend and gaming instead of sitting on my ass gaining weight gaming?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess to me its weird you went out of your way to catch pokemon

I don't play

Glad people are exercising.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I went out and took a walk down the street to the church at the intersection near where I live to hit the Pokestop there. Probably looked like a fucking weirdo trudging through the grass trying to get close enough to the damn thing to spin the stop. Then got a "try again later" error on it and didn't get shit. Fuckin' game making me exercise for nothing.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you get "try again later" you may have actually got the items and the app was just lagging because the servers aren't good enough for global yet.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Passed by a Gyrados guarding a gym last night. Need 400 Magikarp candy to evolve one. Can't believe someone's already caught 100 Magikarp.
He probably just caught it. When you are higher level you see more rare pokemon show up. During testing I had a Charizard pop in my living room before I had even seen a Charmeleon.

I guess to me its weird you went out of your way to catch pokemon

I don't play

Glad people are exercising.
The entire premise of the game is making you go out of your way. Who cares if it's a_skeleton_03 driving around for 3 hours, Chris taking a 10 min train ride or me walking my dog 20 minutes longer than normal. That's how you play.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda fun to catch a few things if my wife is driving but god damn i'm not going to be doing any gym stuff for a year, all the ones around me are packed with shit 500+ and 1000+ cp in some instances.

Gonna be a fuck ass ton of car wrecks with this shit though.