Power Tools

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
The same company owns dewalt, skil, and black and decker - with quality and price ranking in that order. Black and Decker is shit.
I've been taking on more and more home improvement projects as I have gotten older, and the dewalt tools are worth every penny.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, I buy seasonal equipment during the off season. Buy your lawnmower and weedeater during the winter, and if you are getting a snowblower get it in the summer. Try to buy gardening/lawn shit in the fall/winter, etc. A little planning ahead can save a lot of money, you'll get charged a premium for that stuff during peak season
Good idea, I should buy my lawnmover right away after I close...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its better to get the tools when you need them. Its really no use just going out and buying all this crap if you are not going to use it. In fact I would approach all tool purchases like this, buy them when you need them, and then you will be building up your own arsenal of tools that you use and need.

Example, some people dont want to do their own plumbing. Granted its a shitty job, but the basics you should be able to do on your own, unless you like paying plumbers $$$ for stupid shit like a sink is leaking or a trap gets busted and leaks. And this shit usually happens on a Sunday night, plumbers best payday, lol. Well you buy the parts and replace them. Then you find out that you might need a pipe cutter or some larger channel locks that can fit around 2 1/4" pipes. So you go and get the shit and then you have it for next time.

Some shit its just better to rent as well. Like say you do some tile work or something and you need a wet saw. Or you're working on a deck or something and you need a table saw for some rips.

Some people just hire everything out as well and have shit for tools because they dont need them. It really depends on how you take care of shit.

Edit: reading back, Cutlery pretty much covered the above.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I purchased a Milwalkee drill that is amazing last year. It's just fucking great.

I also like Porter Cable stuff too.

Porter Cable makes the very best routers. I have one, I love it.

I find their drills overly heavy, though.
Porter Cable tends to build their tools like a tank. (more metal, less plastic) great for durability, shitty for use overhead. Their big routers are king, as well as 1/2" mixing drills. Milwaukee tend to be heavy as well.

BTW I see people saying Black & Decker is cheap junk, that is mostly true, but they do have an "industrial" line that is actually better quality / power than their Dewalt label. You dont see them for sale at Big Box or hardware stores, you have to go looking for em at specialty places / supply houses.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I talked to the power tool guy at the local Ace hardware. He is sort of a friend of mine so I don't think he is just blowing smoke up my ass to make a sale (they also don't work on commission). What he said is that when Dewalt got bought by black and decker they went cheap and started using plastic gears, cheap parts etc. When this happened, Milwaukee followed suit and only Makita has held the line on quality (aside from some smaller brands like Porter Cable). On top of that, the home improvement podcast I listen to has a guy that always says Dewalt is cheap tools at expensive prices. Maybe they are wrong, maybe they're not but I have to assume that they know more than I do.

From my personal experience, I own tools made by Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Skil, and Black and Decker and I don't have any complaints about any of them. My Black and Decker cordless drill/circular saw/reciprocating saw set that I got for Christmas like 7 years ago and have used very regularly are still working. The battery charger died and the batteries themselves don't seem to have quite the punch that they used to, but that is to be expected after that much time and these aren't the "industrial" versions. I also have a corded Black and Decker drill with a steel case that came from my Grandfather and is at least 50 years old and still works perfectly.

I guess my point is that if you are a professional carpenter you probably already have your preferences and if you're just a DIYer just about any name brand tool is going to get the job done for you and it's probably questionable whether you're going to get your money's worth out of the expensive stuff.

biggest thing imo is spend money where you'll get it back and don't where you won't. If you are a pro you blow coin on the ones you'll use every day, if you are a home owner / DIY there isnt a real need to, you arent gonna shoot 300K screws in a year with your screw gun. HellFestoolmakes pretty much the best power tools on the planet, but I have only ever met a couple pros that actually had invested in more than 1 or 2 pieces. I do know one crazy fuck who had a whole truck full of em. Screw that, on big jobs, nice tools tend to grow legs and walk off, I'd be too paranoid to turn my back for a minute or two. I don't wanna feel like I need to go on a killing spree if someone swipes on of my toys.

That said, DIY guys, spend money on good quality extension cords, if you take care of em they last forever and dont get all fucked up so easy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
In my experience, my employees can pretty much destroy any power tool I throw at them, including T-Drills and Threaders/Groovers worth 5 figures. We mostly use Milwaukee though, if only because they're readily available for purchase and repair. Having a good repair shop is if anything more important than what brand we buy, because no matter what, they're going to need repairing frequently.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm pretty thrilled about the rockwell soniccrafter I bought so far. I'm.also amazed how quiet it is

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
For those hating on Dewalt:

IMG_1419_zps4859d48e.jpg

biggrin.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In my experience, my employees can pretty much destroy any power tool I throw at them, including T-Drills and Threaders/Groovers worth 5 figures. We mostly use Milwaukee though, if only because they're readily available for purchase and repair. Having a good repair shop is if anything more important than what brand we buy, because no matter what, they're going to need repairing frequently.
Having owned a steel fabrication shop I agree employees can kill anything. Eventually we switched from quality grinders to the cheapest ones available at Harbor Freight and they lasted just as long because people would drop them, drop something on them etc...

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What he said is that when Dewalt got bought by black and decker they went cheap and started using plastic gears, cheap parts etc.
I honestly don't know about that, maybe maybe not. I had an 18v cordless drill/hammerdrill from ~1998 that I had absolutely beat to hell and abused, finally have sparks and flame shoot out from the motor while drilling up through roof decking into an RTU (and I got lucky that when I dropped it - because it got super hot - that it landed on the scissor lift and not the buildings floor). So I'd def be on the side that prior to recently their stuff has lasted nigh forever. And this was a drill that I'd forgotten and left on a rooftop over the weekend and it rained and rusted, dropped a bajillion times, used with bits that it was way too small for, etc.

My new cordless set, I didn't get a hammerdrill option (most employers supply spline hammerdrills anymore) but what I did get I'm still mostly happy with. Particularly with the cordless impact - it's very nice when I have to put 100 sheet metal screws into steel studs or something similar, as opposed to a standard cordless drill. It is also much lighter, so I can stuff it into my tool belt/harness (which is usually already way too heavy) without feeling like I put a cinderblock in there. My only complaint so far was with the cordless drill chuck. I guess it is an improvement over the old metal dewalt chucks in that the old metal ones were a bitch to get tight and they would tend to come loose, but this new one with plastic....well, it wasn't long before I was drilling in a tight spot and I started melting the outer plastic on the chuck itself from the chuck spinning up against something.

Someone mentioned Milwaukee and Milwaukee sawzalls earlier, and I have to agree. If you have the cash, and need a sawzall, that's a top choice. If you are going to use it once a year, maybe not, but from a contractor viewpoint I prefer those over everything else. It's hard to describe, but they just...cut....better. Maybe it's a speed thing, maybe it's something else, but to me they seem to bind less often and cut quicker. And I own a corded DeWalt sawzall that I but rarely use (usually when a jobsite is missing a sawzall) - I got it on sale, but it's mostly plastic, has few of the refinements an actual Milwaukee sawzall has, the speed control feels worse and for some reason if the blade binds it will shake the bejeesus out of you.

Milwaukee is also probably my top choice for serious drills. This is prob way beyond the homeowner level, but as an electrician we normally preferred the "Hole Hawg" drills while it seemed that a lot of plumbers preferred the right angle drills. The Hole Hawgs were great because you could just put them in high gear and the torque would be low enough that if you hit a nail it wouldn't really kick like it would in low speed, plus the high speed was much faster than on a lot of the right angle drills. So when you have a few hundred 3/4"-1 1/4" holes to drill through studs, you could drill them with a hawg much much faster. I suppose plumbers preferred the right angle type with the higher torque and slower speeds since they normally drill larger holes (often through more shit framing, stacked wood, etc) and normally use forstner type bits or standard hole saws while most electricians use what are called "ship bits" (long borer bits that they used to drill in wooden ship frames forever ago). Now if I had to drill a ton of 2" holes for example then I'd prob go with the standard right angle drill, which is what we did whenever we would install in-house vac systems. The 3rd pic some people like but I detest...that kind of series seems adequate for homeowners or occasional jobsite drilling (maybe for tiny holes), but I've burned several out myself.

4th and 5th pic...bandsaws. Who doesn't fucking love bandsaws? If you have to cut a lot of allthread, unistrut, rebar, conduit/pipe etc then you want a bandsaw not a sawzall. Or to be more precise a Porta-Band. The old standby with/cord version I went looking for a pic of, and found...Adam Savage? (I guess that's a hell of an endorsement lolhttp://kk.org/cooltools/archives/6812). But what blew my mind over the last few years were the CORDLESS bandsaws that started coming out. In a lot of situations in the past you would use a sawzall, but sawzalls cans shake you right off your ladder at times. Bandsaw? Like in the last pic, having to cut down allthread suspended from beam clamps. Imagine having to install ~100 of those for lights on a sloped roof, using a laser to cut them off at the same height with a sawzall. With a sawzall the allthread is going to want to go every which way since a sawzall blade reciprocates. But with a cordless bandsaw...it's a million times easier, quicker and more precise.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^^
Porter Cable tools are good shit, definitely high quality. I have a couple of their routers. a small 1/2 hp stationary one and a bigger 3/4 horse plunge type. But they are expensive too. their nail guns are supposed to be good shit too but I do not own one.

Im no pro or anything, but I have a couple of Rigid tools and they seem to be decent quality. Not sure who makes them for Home Depot but I have their table saw which Ive had for the past 10 yrs or so and its good quality shit. Ive only had to readjust it once to get it true again. Recently I bought their sawzall and cannot be happier with it for the shit I used it for so far.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Agree with Milwaukee for serious saws and sawzalls. Although the whole hog will rip your fucking arm off if you fuck up with it.

After being underwhelmed with Delwalt power drills for years I switched to ridgid cordless power drills and couldn't be any happier. I know what you're thinking,"Ridgid makes bad ass pipe cutters, pipe wrenches and shit but fuck me if i'm gonna try a ridgid power tool."

rrr_img_13634.jpg

Don't knock it till you try it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Agree with Milwaukee for serious saws and sawzalls. Although the whole hog will rip your fucking arm off if you fuck up with it.

After being underwhelmed with Delwalt power drills for years I switched to ridgid cordless power drills and couldn't be any happier. I know what you're thinking,"Ridgid makes bad ass pipe cutters, pipe wrenches and shit but fuck me if i'm gonna try a ridgid power tool."

rrr_img_13634.jpg

Don't knock it till you try it.
Interesting. I helped a friend with some work, he had a Rigid drill much like that you posted. I thought it was complete crap - heavy, little torque, and terrible battery life. I gladly went back to my deWalt drill set, thinking them superior in every way.

Dewalt-DCK285C2-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-Kit.jpg

I wonder if I just got a good one, and if I purchased the one next to it, I would be less impressed? I wonder if my friend just got a bad Rigid? Who knows, perhaps these tools are more hit and miss than we think, and that's why there are such varying opinions.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother is an electrician and we got him that exact band saw last year for Christmas at his request.