Project 2002 - The Age of Al'Kabor - release date 3/21/15

Iance_sl

shitlord
I think it is silly you are trying to create drama where there is none. Like I said, all code changes have been contributed back to CD and there is a post on the TAK forums under Server bugs by Wharhogg that includes the code changes.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
ZEMs were taken directly from packet data. If any ZEM is wrong, feel free to list the precise zones and values. ZEM values are really a long known thing that shouldn't be disputed, really.

Some zones were flagged as hot zones mistakenly because some of the database was imported from PEQ. Thanks for pointing that out. It was a bit embarrassing, but keep in mind Rob was the only person doing database work for a very long time which is a massive undertaking for one person; so errors are expected. I joined the project much later so I didn't think to look at every zone or had much idea of what was imported or not, nor was I familiar with PEQ.

The recent code commits are such a non-issue. It's literally 24 LoC and several of those are only whitespace.

Much more valuable than code is actual gameplay research. Changing a formula in one line of code could require months of research and data mining. They changed the melee max hit formula without providing any data to back it, which is a big problem for me. I want to know why changes are made and not accept them blindly.

Iance_sl

shitlord
ZEMs were taken directly from packet data. If any ZEM is wrong, feel free to list the precise zones and values. ZEM values are really a long known thing that shouldn't be disputed, really.

Some zones were flagged as hot zones mistakenly because some of the database was imported from PEQ. Thanks for pointing that out. It was a bit embarrassing, but keep in mind Rob was the only person doing database work for a very long time which is a massive undertaking for one person; so errors are expected. I joined the project much later so I didn't think to look at every zone or had much idea of what was imported or not, nor was I familiar with PEQ.

The recent code commits are such a non-issue. It's literally 24 LoC and several of those are only whitespace.

Much more valuable than code is actual gameplay research. Changing a formula in one line of code could require months of research and data mining. They changed the melee max hit formula without providing any data to back it, which is a big problem for me. I want to know why changes are made and not accept them blindly.
Our ZEMs are exactly how we want them to be. I personally think Hotzones are a great way to encourage people to try out new places.

I would argue that Mend failing up to a skill to 199 is NOT a non issue, I think anyone who has played a Monk will agree. The same goes for low level mobs destroying new players because of inaccurate double attack rates.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
You missunderstood me. I did not mean that these fixes aren't issues that need addressing, just that they aren't worth getting worked up on message boards over. You could easily just tell us 'mend should stop failing at 100 instead of 200' which would be almost as valuable as committing that 1 line of code change because it would take us 5 minutes to find it and fix it once we are made aware of the problem.

Oh, and as for the NPC double attack formula-- 'destroying' is exaggerating the problem. It's only slightly higher than desired.

Iance_sl

shitlord
You missunderstood me. I did not mean that these fixes aren't issues that need addressing, just that they aren't worth getting worked up on message boards over
Who is getting worked up over it on the message boards? I know I am not ! Are you?

The Mend bug was mentioned in Open Alpha and then again in January, a simple forum search will help you find the thread I am sure (I am banned so I couldn't link it even if I wanted to). I am pretty sure both Wharhogg and I significantly contributed to that thread with personal observations and links to research
smile.png

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
TAKP is a bit understaffed; Cavedude was the only one doing gameplay code until I started chipping in. I wasn't even looking into code issues until somewhat more recently. Cavedude has work projects that take him away from TAKP for long periods of time.

I signed up to be a database guy but I'm no stranger to a compiler either. I plan to work on game mechanics issues more now that planes are done. Sometimes issues need a bump.

Javvo_sl

shitlord
Anyone unaffiliated with this server playing it that can give a brief review?
I've been playing here for about a week, with a lot of time spent playing this past weekend. The server is great so far, I've run into very few bugs, nothing game breaking at all. I'm 3-boxing a pally/druid/enchanter and it's been a blast so far, level 15 atm, but hopefully 50 within a couple of weeks. I'd be higher level, but I spent pretty much all weekend doing the newbie armor quests. I would HIGHLY recommend against this, but by the time I decided it was a waste of time I was in too deep (a big FUCK YOU toa giant wasp worker thorax). The server population could use a population boost, so if you need your EQ fix, come play here and farm some DE masks w/me in a week or two.

If you're on the PC and want to multi-box the best software I've found (thanks to lance on the p2k2 forums) isdexpot. It creates virtual desktops and you can set hotkeys to switch between them. It's pretty nice after using it for a few days.

Getting classic spell effects is very easy as well. After following the install guide on the first page, go to your EQ directory and delete:

.../everquest/spellsnew.edd
.../everquest/spellsnew.eff

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Created a character today and there wasn't anyone online lower than level 29 :/ No one in POK

Corvid_sl

shitlord
I have no idea how to get into this server. "For PC Users: Run EQW.exe" Is really the last thing it lets me do before presenting me with the Connect screen and wants a username and password. Putting in the login/pw I used to register on the forum doesn't do anything. Maybe some better, more detailed instructions that assume that some people haven't ever used an emulated server?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
their account creation tool was really difficult to find. i forget where i found it.

Javvo_sl

shitlord
I have no idea how to get into this server. "For PC Users: Run EQW.exe" Is really the last thing it lets me do before presenting me with the Connect screen and wants a username and password. Putting in the login/pw I used to register on the forum doesn't do anything. Maybe some better, more detailed instructions that assume that some people haven't ever used an emulated server?
p2002

Go there and go to the Account option, first thing on the left. If you are logged into the forums you will be able to create game accounts at that page.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey Furst or whoever has pull on this server. Me and my room mate are going to give it a go but we need an exemption. I PMed Boragar as instructed but haven't heard anything. Anything else I can do?

Iance_sl

shitlord
Hey Furst or whoever has pull on this server. Me and my room mate are going to give it a go but we need an exemption. I PMed Boragar as instructed but haven't heard anything. Anything else I can do?
I let Boragar know, he said he would get back to you asap !
smile.png

---

Hi everyone ! I just wanted to give you all a small update on what has been going on lately

Our server has introduced Hot Zones, to give the people who do not want to keep going to the same leveling spots some diversity. They will be rotating/switching ever so often, and their status can be reviewed here:ZEMS for this Server Project 2002

After completing our Loot Revamp prior to launching the server, numerous DB reworks have followed, and we can now say with confidence that we have the most accurate Database out there behind Project 1999.
We are currently in the process of revamping all Classic dungeon spawn groups, we are not happy with the state of many of them yet - Zones with higher ZEMs are being primarily targeted right now, but spawn groups for all Classic dungeons should be accurate by mid May, at latest.

Kunark is practically completed Database side and our main focus has shifted to getting all Kunark quests (especially Epics) ready for the Kunark Launch, and adding in Kunark specific code like Disciplines.
We are very confident in our launch date, which is targeted for Mid June. We will strive to launch Velious by the end of 2015, which seems like a realistic time line considering the effort everyone has been putting in.

The development of Content has been and will continue to be our main focus. We believe that many of the high end problems that an Emulator/EQ server has to deal with are due to drawn out development cycles.

Code wise Cavedude, Haynar and Torven have been working their collective butts off to bring us new code updates almost weekly, but a big thank you also goes out to all the testers who have made this possible by providing great feedback and bug reports.

Our player base is slowly and steadily growing, and we are very happy about what we have moved in the very short amount of time we have been working on this project. Despite boxing being allowed (our limit is 3 boxes online at a time) people have been very social and helpful.
Of course there will always be lone wolves who would rather do things on their own and in their own pace, but most people will drop their boxes for a real player when they get the chance to do so. At this point in time, the great majority of people are playing from US timezones, but we also have more and more European players signing up to join us lately.

On a progression note: Last week, Lord Nagafen was killed for the very first time, and last night Lady Vox, Noble Dojorn and PoF Golems were added to that list.

Javvo_sl

shitlord
I'm level 40 on my 3 box pally/dru/ench now. Should be 50 some time next week, willing to PL people who want a hand getting started. Have plat too if you need it, hit me up in-game on Javvo/Javvy/Javvyo.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
.../everquest/spellsnew.edd
.../everquest/spellsnew.eff
I've been playing the server for a few weeks. There are some annoying bugs but nothing game-breaking so far. It's not difficult to set up. It's low pop, but I don't mind. All I wanted was an classic-ey EQ playground and this server seems to fill that niche.

Thanks for the help btw Javvo.

A few questions:

I really hate the lack of spell effects. I looked in the EQ folder for the above-quoted files, but couldn't find them. What are the full file names for the /spellsnew files?

Also, I am having a serious issue with not getting messages when my spells land and not getting messages regarding pet damage. I checked the UI options and didn't see a place to turn either off or on. Am I missing something, or is no one getting these messages? What I mean by pet damage is obvious. What I mean by spell messages is this: If I cast root on a mob and it lands, it doesn't say "A scalebone skeleton's feet adhere to the ground"- it doesn't say anything at all.