PS3 streaming

Crell_sl

shitlord
So I wasn't sure were to ask this, but hopefully a 'techy' type person would help me on this. I've heard about being able to stream content from your computer to your PS3 (videos etc) but I'm not sure how. I have a wi-fi network. I've tried to google with little results. My goal is to be able to burn my blu rays and dvds to my computer and just stream them to my PS3 when I want to watch a movie. Possible? Worthwhile?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's a bunch of media center programs that will do it.

Universal Media Server

Is a link for the one I use. 1080p in some formats is choppy though although I might be behind in some codecs.

darkko_sl

shitlord
You may look into Plex as well. I love it and I never really have to worry about codecs. It would probably be better quality than PS3 as well

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will say it now, if you are going to start streaming you will want a wired connection. WiFi is marginal for streaming non-HD content but if you want to start streaming BluRay quality rips, forget WiFi altogether.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Think it depends on the router and format. Mine is wired on PC side, Wi-Fi on PS3.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most will struggle at 1080p, especially if you get into HD-MA (Master Audio) formats. Using Fast Forward is also a huge pain in the ass.

It's just a mess of buffering.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Most will struggle at 1080p, especially if you get into HD-MA (Master Audio) formats. Using Fast Forward is also a huge pain in the ass.

It's just a mess of buffering.
I've had the same issue. Which is why I stopped using PMS since fast forward was a pain, dropping connections was a pain and it was overall a giant hassle. So I just slap the content on a thumb drive and stream my ass downstairs and plug it into my PS3 directly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gigabit network card, gigabit router, cat 5e(6) cables and PMS, you'll stream anything great, otherwise you'll never be able to watch any non drama movie cuz the instant you get an action scene, freeze/stutter. hell PMS even lets you see bits of info being xmitted to see where you choke up on internet connection. (pretty sure the ps3 is gigabit, when i went from wifi to wired, it was an extreme difference, but at my old place everything was already gigabit ready) hell even just plain old ethernet 10/100 would be better than wifi.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I used ps3 media server and was unable to stream bd quality rips at all over wifi. Though that was with a older router and going through one wall.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I haven't had any issues with Plex and a Roku over wireless. But there's a clear line of site from my router to the Roku, bout 40' distance wise. DIR-655 router. Works great even with 1080p content, as far as I can tell anyways.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
I use wireless with ps3 media server. Everyone is totally correct that it will stutter a lot if you're trying to stream high res video. I just use it to DL it to my ps3 to watch usually and stream 480p stuff.