Question about importing contacts to iPhone/Android

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey all. I have a question about Importing contacts to iPhone and Android.

So I'm updating phone numbers and email addresses for everyone at my station and making a .vcf file for them to import it into their phone. Is there a way to prevent duplicate entries? The names aren't going to match because we're all in eachother's phones as "Fat Mike" or "Allison Teds wife". Is there a way to make it so a contact I've created will overwrite a contact with the same phone number?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I actually just tried it on my roomate and another friend. The android phone merged like you said, the iPhone created duplicates.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wow, that's pretty messy compared to android. Thanks for the link though, Inque. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I generally just let Google/gmail handle the merging and let the iWhatevers download my contacts from there. Saves time merging anything on the phone itself and I don't have to worry about backing up my contacts, ever.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I generally just let Google/gmail handle the merging and let the iWhatevers download my contacts from there. Saves time merging anything on the phone itself and I don't have to worry about backing up my contacts, ever.
Care to elaborate? I know google/gmail/android users won't have a problem, but the iPhones create duplicates when they open that vCard file. How do I have the iPhone users download the contact list so it doesn't create duplicates?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I set up my gmail account to sync contacts with gmail and completely ignore iCloud for contacts. I imagine you could import the vCard to Google services through a web interface. It won't stop the iPhone from generating duplicates if you sync your contacts to both gmail and iCloud (and then change things on iCloud), but if you manage your contacts exclusively through Google, they won't dupe as far as I'm aware.