Question about Kegs of Beer / Alcohol content.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does your Ruby Tuesday have XBox tournaments? Microsoft wants to record your alcoholic reactions.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
However no one beats the US when it comes to consumption of shitty, watered down light beer. I have no idea why you guys have such a hard on for light beer.
Light beer is the most popular beer globally. My sister lives in Ireland and she says shitty Bud Light is the overwhelming favorite. It's like that in England too.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The problem is not the light beer per se, its the watered down to water bullshit that gets the light beer sticker on it, while not tasting like beer at all.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Cheap? To what extent? Is it cheaper now to get drunk consuing light beer only? Didnt noticed that yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's much harder to get drunk off beer with low drinkability. Bud light has like 4% abv but it's easy to slam down 4-5 in an hour.

I generally don't drink light lagers (Of which bud light is the lightest!) I almost always drink stouts which are arguably on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's much harder to get drunk off beer with low drinkability. Bud light has like 4% abv but it's easy to slam down 4-5 in an hour.

I generally don't drink light lagers (Of which bud light is the lightest!) I almost always drink stouts which are arguably on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Sort of. Guinness from the nitro tap (or nitro can) has4.1% ABV, so it isn't any stronger than a Bud Light. This was a huge surprise to me when I found out.

Dark styles don't necessarily have higher alcohol content, they just use darker roasted grains (in smaller amounts than you would guess).

Also, Eomer: could you recommend a beer from Canada that's good? The Canadian beers I've had were total piss-water, like Labatt's and Molson.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sort of. Guinness from the nitro tap (or nitro can) has4.1% ABV, so it isn't any stronger than a Bud Light. This was a huge surprise to me when I found out.

Dark styles don't necessarily have higher alcohol content, they just use darker roasted grains (in smaller amounts than you would guess).

Also, Eomer: could you recommend a beer from Canada that's good? The Canadian beers I've had were total piss-water, like Labatt's and Molson.
Right, full beers generally aren't that much higher abv than bud light but they're much less drinkable. Getting anything more than a slight buzz off guiness or most stouts is pretty difficult (Unless you're getting a russian imperialor something).

But that's why people tend to like bud light. It's cheap and easy to get drunk off of it.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Not sure where people get the "can't get drunk on Guinness" thing. It might look and taste heavy, but it's not.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Tuco_sl said:
It's much harder to get drunk off beer with low drinkability.
I guess that depends on your definition of drinkability. I sometimes go to a pub that has 72 beers on tap (http://www.undergroundtapandgrill.com/draft100.php), and generally indulge myself in beers that are pretty much the definition of low drinkability. Very strong IPAs, stouts and the like. But most of those beers are 7-10%. While I'm not pounding them as quickly as I could Coor's Light, after only 4-5 pints I'm pretty gassed. Compared to a light beer you're getting nearly twice as much alcohol per pint, and even compared to a regular beer you're still nearly double.

Same as the US, go for smaller breweries and craft brews. Molson Canadian (or whatever they call it down there), Labatt Blue and the like are all terrible beers no different than Bud, MGD, or Keystone. There's an almost infinite variety of craft brews. For more commonplace, higher volume Canadian beers that don't suck try something from Sleemans (Honey Brown is decent, but sweet) or Big Rock (Grasshopper is great with a lemon, Traditional is a decent dark beer). Steamwhistle is a pretty good clean, crisp Pilsner that's been getting a fair amount of market penetration recently. Really good summer beer. Moosehead is a long time classic, a bit on the skunky side. I've never been a fan of Rickard's but they've got a few different ones that people seem to like, as does Alexander Keith's (although their IPA is NOT an IPA).

But like I said, if you want the really good stuff, you have to go with micro brews. I've really enjoyed a lot of Paddock Wood's stuff, especially the 606 IPA.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8203

Truth be told though, we really do lag the US and Europe in terms of variety and quality of beers. A lot of it has to do with shitty regulations and rules of which I don't really know the details about. But things are improving.

Drinsic_sl said:
Not sure where people get the "can't get drunk on Guinness" thing. It might look and taste heavy, but it's not.
I agree that it's not, but personally I get sick of Guinness after the second or third one and switch to something else. Other stouts I'm okay with, but something about Guinness just fills me up really.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I like IPAs but you don't have to like IPAs to like beer.
Fuck IPAs so goddamn hard. I don't mind IPAs and will occasionally get a hankering for one, but they are way the fuck down the totem pole on my favorite beer styles. But goddamn IPAs are fucking everywhere "we've got bud, bud light, miller lite, and coors light, and an IPA." Well thank fuck you are diverse and catering to that beer loving crowd. My neighborhood liquor store has a great selection of... IPA's. 120 different IPAs. Want a stout there is this one option. Would you like a Tripel? Fuck you. I don't dislike drinking IPA's, but I do not understand why they are so much of the market.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
However no one beats the US when it comes to consumption of shitty, watered down light beer. I have no idea why you guys have such a hard on for light beer.
It is really because prohibition era laws have allowed "the big 3" to virtually control distribution in many areas of the country. There are some states where it is virtually impossible to open up a brewery and even if you do manage to cut through all the red tape to open one up, InBev controls the distribution chain there and won't let you get your products on the shelves. In states that have dismantled some of those outdated regulations craft beer is thriving and eroding more-and-more of the "shitty, watered down light beer" market share. A specific example, by volume, craft beer represents 67% of the beer sold in my restaurants. But WA has been very friendly to craft beer.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Same as the US, go for smaller breweries and craft brews. Molson Canadian (or whatever they call it down there), Labatt Blue and the like are all terrible beers no different than Bud, MGD, or Keystone. There's an almost infinite variety of craft brews. For more commonplace, higher volume Canadian beers that don't suck try something from Sleemans (Honey Brown is decent, but sweet) or Big Rock (Grasshopper is great with a lemon, Traditional is a decent dark beer). Steamwhistle is a pretty good clean, crisp Pilsner that's been getting a fair amount of market penetration recently. Really good summer beer. Moosehead is a long time classic, a bit on the skunky side. I've never been a fan of Rickard's but they've got a few different ones that people seem to like, as does Alexander Keith's (although their IPA is NOT an IPA).

But like I said, if you want the really good stuff, you have to go with micro brews. I've really enjoyed a lot of Paddock Wood's stuff, especially the 606 IPA.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8203
We have a beer drinker's paradise of a spot here with beers from all over. I've tried a few Canadian brews that are delicious, but most have French names I can't pronounce. Like all the beers made by the Dieu Du Ciel brewery in Montreal.

It is really because prohibition era laws have allowed "the big 3" to virtually control distribution in many areas of the country. There are some states where it is virtually impossible to open up a brewery and even if you do manage to cut through all the red tape to open one up, InBev controls the distribution chain there and won't let you get your products on the shelves. In states that have dismantled some of those outdated regulations craft beer is thriving and eroding more-and-more of the "shitty, watered down light beer" market share. A specific example, by volume, craft beer represents 67% of the beer sold in my restaurants. But WA has been very friendly to craft beer.
The liquor license/distribution is brutal. I have a friend who finally, after nearly a year of legal work, received a liquor license for a gin he just created. I guess there were all these barriers because he also owns a wine bar. Heaven forbid, a small entrepreneur be able to sell his own craft!