Question about US healthcare (coming from a Brit)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Because comparing a country of not even 10 million to a country of 317 million is really a valid comparison.
Ok, why? Explain to us at what population number the "breakdown" of the system begins. 11 million? 30 million? 50 million?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont know that. I just know its dumb to compare a country of less than 10 million to one of 317 million.
Why are you cheerleading the shitty, shitty American healthcare system?
You taking a play out of dubya's "youre either with us or against us" playbook?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Likewise, I think you significantly underestimate the number of people (like my family) that are "drainers" on the system, and receive (required) services in excess of what they and their employer pay in premiums.
What the fuck does that have to do with anything? You still just have to pay the deductible. I'm not suggesting that you go without insurance.

And on the face of it, I'm going to agree with Tarrant and Cutlery, because the purchasing power of a union in buying insurance means that each member will have much better insurance than they'd be able to buy with the same cash as individuals.
Again, you misunderstand my post. I'm not suggesting that they should buy their own insurance, just that they should not push for the Cadillac plan vs. a more basic plan and a higher pay rate. Yes there is the issue of the tax deduction but even considering that the fancy health plans benefit the insurance company more than the people receiving it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont know that. I just know its dumb to compare a country of less than 10 million to one of 317 million.

You taking a play out of dubya's "youre either with us or against us" playbook?
One member of the EU - that isn't that dissimilar from other EU members. With EU states mirroring our largest states very well.

But let me guess it doesn't scale down for states now, right?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Because comparing a country of not even 10 million to a country of 317 million is really a valid comparison.
So yes, the narrative I can now expect to see for a while is the idea that Scandinavian countries are only as awesome as they are because of us. We'll call it Umbrella Theory.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Because everything scales linearly, right?
Once again, I'd love to hear a detailed list of reasons why health care systems or other social programs can not be scaled up, or down for that matter. And as always, please keep in mind that in many countries health care systems are run at state/provincial levels, which for example in Canada results in health care systems for regions that are anywhere from 130,000 people to 13,000,000 people. Yet it seems that both extremes seem to work reasonably well.

So let's hear it Big P! Why is scaling a serious concern when discussing socialized, single payer medical systems?