Random technology news & announcements

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My only problem with Google Drive when I used it previously, was that it had no setting to just auto-upload every picture and video you take on your phone. I can't remember if you had to take the picture through the drive app itself for that to work, or if there was just no automated option at all, but that is a key feature for me with Dropbox, and why I prefer it immensely.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
You can get apps to do that. The one I use is Drive Autosync. It allows me to go in an select folders on my phone to sync up. It works pretty good. Too bad I didn't start using it before my wife accidentally deleted all of the photos on her phone.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My only problem with Google Drive when I used it previously, was that it had no setting to just auto-upload every picture and video you take on your phone. I can't remember if you had to take the picture through the drive app itself for that to work, or if there was just no automated option at all, but that is a key feature for me with Dropbox, and why I prefer it immensely.
the G+ app can automatically send every image on your phone to Drive, even ones you donloaded instead of just pictures you took. I think that also may be baked in to the Google camera and photo app nowadays.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, but then I assume that all your photos are being posted on Google+ as well? I definitely don't want that. Even though everyone I know gave up on Google+ over a year ago, it's a ghosttown, I still don't want absolutely everything I take posted up there.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No, they are all private and not shared unless you tell it to do otherwise. You'll get notifications that they are uploaded and ready to share, but you don't have to share them.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Cool, thanks. Sounds like I maybe need to look at google drive again. I hadn't really messed with it much in a year or two, sounds like it's a bit different than it used to be.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is this the first step towards the end of Internet Explorer?

Microsoft builds IE's younger brother, codenamed Spartan: report - CSMonitor.com

It would probably be smart for Microsoft to at least move past the IE brand name for home-use internet browsing. It's reputation is pretty much dead for individual, home web browsing. No one I know uses it anymore. It's still huge in business/enterprise settings, and I could see it staying around in that capacity only, going forward.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Not trolling here, but that article was from The Christian Science Monitor. Is this Lumie territory?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is christian science a oxymoron? Seriously though, they are a legit news source, been around for a century or so.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
A lot of solid science has been cranked out by christians - the majority of it in the last few hundred years I'd imagine. I don't accept that their faith had much to do with it, but it's dishonest to pretend they weren't christians.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Christian Science Monitor is a legit newspaper.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can totally see Brahma with that Walkman, paired with his matching, color-coordinated $1500 headphones and $400 sneakers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am all about hi fidelity music. It's a shame musical audio has been obliterated due to MP3 players of old. Back when player memory was measured in MB. NV(RAM) is so cheap these days that we should have been at mainstream lossless audio for a while. So.. great for the new Walkman, but you still need source material. It's the same argument with 4K TVs, but there is fuck all for content for them.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
About damn time. Wonder what this will mean for govt computers. Site I'm at has IT that won't allow us to use any other browser. It is horrible.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They're not really getting rid of IE, just changing the name to something else that they're calling "project spartan". They're calling it an all new browser but I'm betting that it's just repackaged IE and they are hoping to get away from the stigma IE had back when it really sucked.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About damn time. Wonder what this will mean for govt computers. Site I'm at has IT that won't allow us to use any other browser. It is horrible.
Not to mention the fact, they use outdated as fuck versions until the gov does whatever "security" aprrovals for the newer versions.

(Right now I am typing this from a gov computer on IE9.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I admit the title is click-bait, but it's about damn time they changed SOMETHING on that browser.