Random technology news & announcements

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually really excited about those. It'll be great for concerts. I hate trying to record video with a phone while still trying to focus on the show.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Looking forward to the first eyeball cam movie torrents.

clockwork-crop.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I bet they have a rice DLC Lanx Lanx .
View attachment 512556
A friend of mine who is going to be traveling a good bit this year (US <-> AUS) is probably going to get a Vision Pro to use on the plane. Will add this to the list of things for him to try.

Once this level of functionality is available in an eyeglasses type frame and doesn’t weigh or cost a ton, I’m in. I haven’t looked into it very much, but these seem to be pretty decent https://www.xreal.com/us/

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bet they have a rice DLC Lanx Lanx .
View attachment 512556
411d80bc37a3c7dc9b0440a43757ee3a.png

jesus christ, this bitch has like at least 4 mis matched knives (now i have all different brands myself, but i didn't buy a "set" and a knife block, that means shes broken or lost so many knives and just replaced it w/ whatever single knife in a plastic package was available at walmart)

and shes using a paring knife to chop shrooms and onions!!!
(maybe it's a utility knife, but still)
92bd879abae478d98de3cc3f94e04ba9.png

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Handling knives and boiling water while blinding yourself and waving your hands around randomly? Sounds great.

1707229736588.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Looks like a bigger trendier looking Google Glass. Which obviously caught on big time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Looks like a bigger, trendier, more conspicuous, and more expensive looking Google Glass. Which obviously caught on big time.
Fixed for you.

I kind of hope it doesn't flop so in the next couple of years everyone is going to be walking around wearing giant ski goggles.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So this thing just seems to reinforce the reality that general purpose VR/AR is just not yet possible technologically. It's fine as a peripheral if you want a niche visual experience. But at $3500, heavy, limited battery, and all the restrictions and missing features, it still seems half-baked.

There's a lot of really good sensor and processing work, especially with input, but that alone doesn't make it practical. The most interesting use seems to be the screen switch but lol @ spending 7k on Mac hardware just to have a bigger monitor.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has foveated rendering (meaning it only rends the part where your eyes are pointing in high res) which is something that has been seen as a major step to take towards effective VR as it will drastically lower both the amount of GPU power needed as well as the bandwidth needed to transmit the graphics from the PC to the headset (2x4k at the required 90-120fps isn't something a regular wireless solution can handle). The use of direct images of your hands over using a controller is also interesting development. Both seem to be working well from the reviews I've seen so far.

It's not something I'm interested in owning but technologically it's a good step forward in VR tech.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Microsoft Publisher will no longer be supported after October 2026 - Microsoft Support

shocked philip j fry GIF

Makes me think of completing school assignments back in the 90's with Publisher. I'm sure there are still a bunch of church/school newsletters generated this way.
Honestly, they probably didn't need to "support" any of their Office products past Office 2016. I can't think of a single improvement they've made since then. It's all been continuing to reshuffle/crappify the interface and more half baked web based horseshit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly, they probably didn't need to "support" any of their Office products past Office 2016. I can't think of a single improvement they've made since then. It's all been continuing to reshuffle/crappify the interface and more half baked web based horseshit.
Now it warns you if your language isn't acceptable to political commissars.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Now it warns you if your language isn't acceptable to political commissars.
I haven't opened office in years. If I have to write anything its just on like Sublime text because Word is such a heavy client its just like. Why the fuck do I do this? I only use excel because I have to open shit files from things a lot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
All you guys talking about how these goggles are so clunky and dumb remind me of me 10 years ago.

"Nobody's gonna give up browsing the web on a real monitor and start using a retarded little 3x5 screen instead, thats so dumb"

You're all forgetting, clown world has no limits, and the dumber the better.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Dunno how the fuck they shit up such basic programs. How many resources do you need to put some formatted text on the damn screen. Also the added bonus of having to “verify” the stupid things for like 5 minutes every time I open them on my work PC.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users