Realpolitiks

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Anyone else playing this?

I tried my first game yesterday. Started as FUCK YEAH for obvious reasons. But then I decided, there was too much going on here and USA is probably one of the more nuanced civs to play as. So I retstarted as China and went Allah Ackbar on Japan and got the U.N. to unite most of Europe against me, and even India who up until then I had been helping in their war against Pakistan. Fucking backstabbing assholes.

I destroyed stupid Taiwan with their paltry 30 Infantry units. I thought I was a bad ass having 120 Infantry. Yeah no, The UN rolled in with like 560. I had 35 planes to Pakistan's 20... but the UN had 250. That game ended.

Next time I might try to play as some hybrid of 'Nice China' that buys itself favor with the UN, and then abuses that favor to take Taiwan. Then I rinse and repeat for IndoChina and later Pacifica and later, much later, Japan. I went crazy attacking them outright so quickly last time I think.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I started with Fuck Yeah. Started as #1, Finished as #1 by a big margin. The economy got real fucking loopy, especially with all the nuclear wars fucking up the planet, and most nations did so fucking shitty that by the end of the game I had like 80% of the world's GDP b/c I kept my taxes low, paid off the debt, had 0% unemployment. My economic development index did slip from high to medium as I bulked up on population growth and the global instability prevented my per capita GDP growth from keeping pace. Late in my US game events transformed my southern states to mexican culture, and that worried me about a mexican attack a little bit, but then I got an event to accept mexican culture and all was right with the world. I started conquering Mexico after that, but the game was nearly over.

Second game was Germany, finished as #1 with a similar strategy. Had 1 UN intervention against me after I swallowed Luxembourg, Belgium, Austria, Netherlands, Czech, Switzerland, Denmark, and northern France. I lost, BUT it didn't do much to me as my conquests were "core" same-culture land due to an event spreading "pan-european" culture through those areas. So they dismantled me (no lost territory), dunked my score a bit, etc. and I recovered within a year. I fought international terrorism and sponsored christian anti-islamic militants.

I'd like to know what prompts events like that to happen. Southern France was Arabic culture due to events. Yugoslavia re-formed in both games, the USCA also reformed in both games (the event claims it's to counter mexican nationalism). There doesn't seem to be any pan-american event. I'd like to tie Fuck Yeah, Syrup, Taco, and Cigar together.

I tried opening the game files to understand how these events function, but it's all encoded. I figured ::effort:: and went back to gaming. I'm playing Turkey right now.

The project (tech tree basically) cost scaling is fucking retarded, as are the resource costs. My US game required like 4k resources to remain a service focused economy and I could only get like 1700 with +resources out the ass. My germany game I just barely stayed over the resources needed to retain the service economy bonus by the end of the game. In my US game I could keep chaining projects to the very end, but as Germany I eventually had to stop as I didn't have the AP income to pay for them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Playing fuckyeah is kinda like playing HOI as Britain----your actual opponent is the management metagame. I heard the modern-day HOI4 mod was actually fun though I haven't tried it, fucking Kaiserreich is like crack for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I started with Fuck Yeah. Started as #1, Finished as #1 by a big margin. The economy got real fucking loopy, especially with all the nuclear wars fucking up the planet, and most nations did so fucking shitty that by the end of the game I had like 80% of the world's GDP b/c I kept my taxes low, paid off the debt, had 0% unemployment. My economic development index did slip from high to medium as I bulked up on population growth and the global instability prevented my per capita GDP growth from keeping pace. Late in my US game events transformed my southern states to mexican culture, and that worried me about a mexican attack a little bit, but then I got an event to accept mexican culture and all was right with the world. I started conquering Mexico after that, but the game was nearly over.

So basically you played the Trump presidency? :D

Agraza

Registered Hutt
If they ever export the files to plaintext so we can mod it this game could be a lot of fun. As it is, there isn't sufficient flavor playing different countries. The economy works too similarly as resources are too abstract to play any kind of regional strength. Modding and a little less abstraction would move this game from a 6.5 to an 8.5.

I am curious if a Luxembourg world conquest is feasible. I believe it's the smallest represented nation.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing fuckyeah is kinda like playing HOI as Britain----your actual opponent is the management metagame. I heard the modern-day HOI4 mod was actually fun though I haven't tried it, fucking Kaiserreich is like crack for me.

Amen. Nothing like destroying filthy syndicalists.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Amen. Nothing like destroying filthy syndicalists.
I love the mod but it really shows how the HOI4 product would've been so much more fun as a 20th-century EU4-type sandbox instead of a WW2 scenario. Don't get me wrong, I played the shit out of HOI4/TfV vanilla game, but mostly as a marvel on logistics and production simulation. Kaiserreich is more sandboxy and just really reminds me how fun a modernish EU would be.

Shame realpolitiks is a long way from that tho, they kinda fell into the same curated event-driven scenario format as stock HOI4.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love the mod but it really shows how the HOI4 product would've been so much more fun as a 20th-century EU4-type sandbox instead of a WW2 scenario. Don't get me wrong, I played the shit out of HOI4/TfV vanilla game, but mostly as a marvel on logistics and production simulation. Kaiserreich is more sandboxy and just really reminds me how fun a modernish EU would be.

Shame realpolitiks is a long way from that tho, they kinda fell into the same curated event-driven scenario format as stock HOI4.

My biggest issue with HOI4 is that it took out the OOB system from HOI3, and it's just so easy. Pulling off an successful Operation Sea Lion, or Operation Barbarossa really felt like an achievement. In HOI4, a monkey could do it.

That being said, HOI3 was pretty horribly railroaded. HOI4 is a wonderful sandbox in comparison. But, I stopped playing vanilla in order to play Kaiserreich. It shows in the community. It's one of the highest rated mods on the workshop, people are producing fan-art, and it's got an extensive page on the TV tropes website. People love this game. I would lose my shit if there was some sort of Kaiserreich spin-off. I love it.

I couldn't ever get into EU. I won the War of the Roses, but then got invaded by Scotland. HOI3 was easy by comparison.

• 1Like

Agraza

Registered Hutt
EU is pretty easy; you're just unfamiliar with the levers of control. I'd play EU more if the domestic politics would more significantly dominate a powerful empire. Victoria has some of that, but the scope is too small. The colonies are supposed to become a liability over time, but they're pretty easy to plan for. The most fun challenge I've had is remaining a small merchant republic that slowly becomes the center of global power. It's like fighting with a jet fighter rather than a squadron of bombers. Trade is essentially indirect warfare as you starve the expansionist potential of all your neighbors by stealing their income. That's why England->GB is such a popular and easy play; they're basically a merchant monarchy that can easily dominate their island and then global naval supremacy. Too bad the mercenary system doesn't really allow me to ship Hessians around to fight for me.

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
is this a good substitute for my foreign affairs program for my international relations degree?

khorum

Murder Apologist
My biggest issue with HOI4 is that it took out the OOB system from HOI3, and it's just so easy. Pulling off an successful Operation Sea Lion, or Operation Barbarossa really felt like an achievement. In HOI4, a monkey could do it.
And you could choke off the maginot line from supply and invade through Alsace and have France capitulate by mid-1937! It's gotten a little trickier (mainly by making some paratrooper techs a little more expensive) but I was able to do it last time I played TfV.

I actually think the problem is that National Foci diminish the downsides of playing as a fascist faction, and specifically as the Nazis, to something that doesn't really balance their mobilization advantages. Unless you're playing on the highest difficulties you barely even have to click on the manage occupied territories UI and deal the occupation options since partisan activity under the Nazis (or the comintern) is easily absorbed economically.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you're playing on the highest difficulties you barely even have to click on the manage occupied territories UI and deal the occupation options since partisan activity under the Nazis (or the comintern) is easily absorbed economically.

Yeah in HOI4 it's a joke. You can totally ignore partisans in Russia and still capitulate the USSR.

In HOI3 you needed legions of military police/garrison to hold down even the smallest region because those stupid rebels would spawn and run all over your stuff. I remember almost reaching Moscow and then scrolling out to find my guys had no supply because Polish rebels had retaken a lot of territory and cut them off from Berlin. There was so much more planning that had to go into your early actions in HOI3.

I will say I think HOI4 did technology better. Reading all the tool tips in HOI3 just to find out how to get something, and then having to research a dozen technologies was frustrating.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EU is pretty easy; you're just unfamiliar with the levers of control. I'd play EU more if the domestic politics would more significantly dominate a powerful empire. Victoria has some of that, but the scope is too small. The colonies are supposed to become a liability over time, but they're pretty easy to plan for. The most fun challenge I've had is remaining a small merchant republic that slowly becomes the center of global power. It's like fighting with a jet fighter rather than a squadron of bombers. Trade is essentially indirect warfare as you starve the expansionist potential of all your neighbors by stealing their income. That's why England->GB is such a popular and easy play; they're basically a merchant monarchy that can easily dominate their island and then global naval supremacy. Too bad the mercenary system doesn't really allow me to ship Hessians around to fight for me.

I kind of knew that mercantilism was the way to make money, and therefore get ahead. But, I definitely didn't understand why things worked certain ways. Like, I did one game as Portugal where I just copied what this Youtuber did, and I ended up taking all these strategic areas in North/Central America. Then I would build merchants and ship them out there to build up the income.

Seriously, I had the entire coast of North and Central America so no one else could butt in, and then the American revolution happened like 100 years too early, but they were a bunch of Portuguese-speaking dudes that ended up inheriting like half a world's worth of territory because I didn't understand the army mechanics.

• 2Like