Red99

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
My door is always open to the Faceless Order Pals

I'll bind you all in Faydark and you can just go nuts

Plus I owe ya one anyways

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Got drunk the other day and pulled the trigger on this. 14 halfling warrior pwning it up!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've got two weeks off in the near future. I'm thinking about using them to play here and grind part way to 60. Probably going to go Human Monk even though monks are probably like 1/3 of the server.

Nirgon, are there still groups to help on the leveling path? What zones do you recommend I hit?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
from what i can tell, there is a constant influx of newbies on red99 these days. (i only pop my head in once in awhile, though).

shouldn't have a super hard time finding groups.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Groups are plentiful, just not always where you want them. If your willing to travel you can almost always find a group. 36 warrior after just a few days

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Groups are plentiful, just not always where you want them. If your willing to travel you can almost always find a group. 36 warrior after just a few days
What race is your Warrior? How long (in hours of active play) would you say it's taken you to get to your current level? Did you start with any twinking?

What's the guild scene like for you so far? Have you picked out a high end guild you plan to join? My understanding from the forums is that it's mostly Holo with Azrael staying in a distant second place atm.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Halfling Warrior. I've to be fair, been no life-ing it pretty hard, but I also leveled in about 4-5 days. A more normal human being could do it in a week or two if you were playing only during primetime and had some luck with groups. No real twinking, just had two low-mid range weps given to me (kunzar ku'juch and wraithbone hammer) other than that im rocking a full set of bronze I looted myself.

For guilds it seems like Holo and Azrael are the two big dogs, with Fresh being the somewhat distant third. However Fresh does accept lower level players while the big two do not. I haven't made any decisions on guilds yet, but would learn towards Holocaust from what I've seen so far.

With the bonus xp on server (50% solo 290% in a full group) your xp gain is fairly dependent on finding groups. For example im kind of stuck in the 30's right now because it seems like everyone is funneled into Mistmoore and that place is fucking cancer. Tons of twink pvpers crashing groups plus its a tough zone to handle under normal circumstances... fun though.

Let me know if you decide to try it Zaide, I don't have much gear but I could at least roll something with ya.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i soloed a paladin to 49 in about two weeks before the changes to solo EXP rates. haven't played much since they took away solo EXP and gave increased group EXP, but still don't think it takes very long to level on red99.

i doubt i'll ever play much on here again btw. but if you two (flo/zaide) want i could give you some of the gear from my paladin. lots of it is pally-only but they're good sellable pieces. and i've got at least a few other good pieces that would fit a warrior. maybe some monk stuff too, i don't remember for sure.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
i soloed a paladin to 49 in about two weeks before the changes to solo EXP rates. haven't played much since they took away solo EXP and gave increased group EXP, but still don't think it takes very long to level on red99.

i doubt i'll ever play much on here again btw. but if you two (flo/zaide) want i could give you some of the gear from my paladin. lots of it is pally-only but they're good sellable pieces. and i've got at least a few other good pieces that would fit a warrior. maybe some monk stuff too, i don't remember for sure.
What made you decide to quit playing there? Are you adamant about not coming back, because it would be cool to get some of us together. I'm pretty confident I could drum up some more pals too.

Flobee, I'm deciding between Iksar or Human at the moment. I figure overall Iksar is a superior choice because of AC/Regen but I'm not digging the exp penalty. I'm thinking of a leveling path like Commonlands -> Nro (Dervs) -> Unrest (I hear twinks are bad here though..) then Lguk/Solb and maybe wrapping it up in Seb.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i quit for a lot of reasons. i think mainly, though, i just wanted to keep soloing and at level 49 it became impossible to solo without PKers ganking me. all the high end dungeons are pretty dangerous in that regard. it sucked figuring out how to solo dar ghoul knights at level 48, only to have that buzz killed by a PKer 8 levels higher than me ganking me after a fight when i have 25% health and 0% mana left.

i kept trying for a long time to find a good spot to hole up and keep running my leet new pally solo strategy, but eventually it just got impossible to deal with PVP agro. at the time the only big guilds were Nihilum and Azrael, both of them seemed pretty lame. Red Dawn had just started, and i tried that for a little bit but idk.

i have thought about coming back, but really the main reason i played on R99 was for the low population and classic setting. the PVP at first seemed like it would be fun, but eventually just got annoying.

i'm digging The Al Kabor Project a lot right now though. loving the classic-as-fuck UI and the ability to box. plus low population. pretty much my dream server.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
AK was on my radar a bit but I've read that there are a decent number of issues with the client and such, plus I think PoP is my least favorite expansion. The best part of old EQ is that the raids don't take all night. I'd love to raid with our Test crew still but in House of Thule you're going into a raid zone for like three hours minimum. The allure of the classic timeline is always the ability to go slay some dragons when the batphone rings, and be back in bed in time for it to hardly disrupt your life.

Did you ever plan on raiding on Red99 or was it going to be just a solo project to 60 and then sort of casually messing around here and there?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i never really planned on raiding on R99.

not everyone is having client issues on TAKP btw. lots of people have had weird issues like random disconnects and spell gems staying permagrey. i've been playing all day every day since the 1st, though, and have barely had any bugs pop up for me.

red99 raids can take all night tho. you think its going to be a standard night, then your rival guild shows up and kills you all right as you kill the raid boss. then you spend a few hours getting corpse camped trying to get your gear back.

at least thats what happened when i was in Red Dawn.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
What made you decide to quit playing there? Are you adamant about not coming back, because it would be cool to get some of us together. I'm pretty confident I could drum up some more pals too.

Flobee, I'm deciding between Iksar or Human at the moment. I figure overall Iksar is a superior choice because of AC/Regen but I'm not digging the exp penalty. I'm thinking of a leveling path like Commonlands -> Nro (Dervs) -> Unrest (I hear twinks are bad here though..) then Lguk/Solb and maybe wrapping it up in Seb.
Right on man, I wouldn't sweat the xp penalty though tbh. You would only really notice it soloing, and to be honest the only reason to solo is because you WANT to solo. If your mission is xp you will find a group with a little patience.

Mahulk_sl

shitlord
Been watching people streaming P99 for a while during the holidays. Tempted to start playing again but my playtime is prolly not enough for P99. Red with its EXP bonus is prolly the best option out there. Would love a non-PvP server with classic only or with kunark max. Anyone if P99 owners are planning to start a new classic only server when they release Velious?

Peasant_sl

shitlord
Been watching people streaming P99 for a while during the holidays. Tempted to start playing again but my playtime is prolly not enough for P99. Red with its EXP bonus is prolly the best option out there. Would love a non-PvP server with classic only or with kunark max. Anyone if P99 owners are planning to start a new classic only server when they release Velious?
Play red. Level quickly with the exp bonus. Pick a level range that you feel comfortable with and just login to pvp.

Doesn't take a big time investment.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Long time no see Mahulk. The exp bonus here is really nice, especially in groups. You should def try it out!

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Do it! We might fuck up and end with a rerolled crew here
biggrin.png